Xubuntu, vlc and .sdp

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
scrumpydude

Xubuntu, vlc and .sdp

Post by scrumpydude »

Hi all,m
Firstly as a newbie here I'd just like to say how impressed I am with the *buntu images for the joggler. They are awesome. My last furtle with the joggler was either JoliCloud or Android. It was a while ago.

Anyhoo, I dug out the joggler as a possible front end for viewing a couple of IP cameras. Trouble is, I've hit a snag. I'm using the Xubuntu image and have installed vlc. The ipcam has either an mjpeg stream or an h264 one. You access them by rtsp://IP-address/ipcam_mjpeg.sdp or h264.sdp.

On my Centos7 laptop opening vlc with --rtsp-pwd=xx -rtsp-user=xx rtps://IP/ipcam_mjpeg.sdp it all works fine. Same for my lubuntu notebook. However, when I run this on the joggler, I get the error "VLC is unable to open the MRL ' rtsp://IP/ipcam_mjpeg.sdp'. Check the log for details. stderr shows errors "live555 demux error: Nothing to play for rtsp://.... and that opening the sdp 'URL' failed.

VLC on the joggler is 2.1.6
Both the laptop and notebook is 2.2.1

Any ideas? Is it the vlc versions or is it compile time options of each distro. Any help much appreciated.
pete

Re: Xubuntu, vlc and .sdp

Post by pete »

Hey scrumpydude!

Welcome to the Joggler forum.

I have used VLC on the Joggler (OpenPeak) in Windows and Linux mode. It has been a while now. Worked for me.

Today my automation / CCTV embedded Windows clients run custom automation software which pings the Zoneminder or Axis server video stuff and it does OK with it doing one liner VLC commands (hiding the text stuff in a push button).

What type of camera is it (MFG and model number?). Just wondering as here utilize a few different ways to get to my RTSP streams or MJPEG streams. Cams here can do both MJPEG and RTSP and different resolution streams.

Attached is an example of the automation touchscreen screen. It is getting data from my weather station (Davis), Unisys weather maps, NOAA forecast.

It is being displayed on a Joggler on my home office desk ~2k miles away connected to LAN via a Gb wire.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
scrumpydude

Re: Xubuntu, vlc and .sdp

Post by scrumpydude »

Hi Pete, thanks for the reply.

The camera is an Edimax IC-3116W.

I guess what confuses me is that two instances of vlc work with it but the joggler xubuntu version does not. May be the next LTS version will fix it. Or perhaps I should try the Ubuntu image.

Am I right in thinking that performing a dist-upgrade will probably break it or is that safe to do?