Beginner Questions: LMS remotely & other apps

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Micki-CH

Beginner Questions: LMS remotely & other apps

Post by Micki-CH »

Hi there,

Just bought a Joggler on ebay 5 minutes ago. I am a big Squeezebox fan and need a new toy to play around.

My goal is to have a big screen for a squeezebox and possibility use this device as a home management tool for my daily tasks at the same time.

Now my beginner question:
1) I have a UK charger that comes with it, but with need a swiss charger. Does any other charger work that one would know?
2) Can I use my Joggler while remotely located and connected via a VPN to my home drive?
3) Is it possible to have other things such as weather and my google calendar displayed? Or is it only Squeezeplay OR other apps?

Thanks for helping me out for the beginning
hawsey

Re: Beginner Questions: LMS remotely & other apps

Post by hawsey »

Hi and welcome to the forum :-)
You will have fun with your Joggler .
1 For power I would just use the power supply you have and get an adapter for your location , this looks like the one

ADAPTOR UK TO SWITZERLAND AND LIECHTENSTEIN https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YHEOVS/ ... yxb22W4NF0

2. Yes you can do anything with it that you can do on a full size PC , I have one of mine running SqueezeplayOS , LMS and Plex media server which is an easy way of having access to your media outside the home , I use mine for music so can't comment on PMS video qualities .

3 . You have lots of options on which software you run to achieve what you want .

Have a look in the General Software section as to what Os you want , briefly in order of maybe best for what you want

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64

Xubuntu , boots off a USB stick

PNPIII , overwrite the internal software it adds Squeezeplay and Google calander etc but is no longer developed ,

Squeezeplay Os, flash internal or external off USB boots straight to Squeezeplay off an Xubuntu base .
Windows XP boots off USB , not tried Squeezeplay on this but pretty sure it will work .

Get the fastest USB 2 stick you can get to write the images for the USB boot Roms , I have recently bought an external SSD and cable and it is super fast but obviously adds to the bulk .

Lots of options for you ;-)
Enjoy

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
Micki-CH

Post by Micki-CH »

Thanks alot, my Joggler finally arrived form the UK:).

From your answers and link I think I either want squeezeplayOS,PNPIII or Xubunutu. Preferably I dont want a USB stick attached as evtl. I'll buy a USB DAC.

So options:
1) SqueezeplayOS using reflash: Could I still put a screensaver on it or it just like a SB touch?
2) SqueezeplayOS using reflash: Can I still install more software to it?

3) Xubunutu (additional USB): Can anyone give me some example was else is of great use? I want to either put it in the kitchen or next to the sofa.I could not find alot of youtube movies or blogs...

4) Looking at the poll, the majority is using stock O2. Why? Or are you using it in combination with squeezeplay`?

Cheers
pete

Post by pete »

A couple of weeks ago took one Joggler with us on a weekend trip. I configured IPSec VPN on it and used my Cellular LTE wireless tethering to have it call home and it worked just fine.

I am currently using Openpeak devices (a bit different than O2 Jogglers) that include a ZIF PATA clip. Base OS here whether it is windows or linux is a 16GB SSD.

You could try one of these to see how it works.
combostick.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Micki-CH wrote:Thanks alot, my Joggler finally arrived form the UK:).

From your answers and link I think I either want squeezeplayOS,PNPIII or Xubunutu. Preferably I dont want a USB stick attached as evtl. I'll buy a USB DAC.

So options:
1) SqueezeplayOS using reflash: Could I still put a screensaver on it or it just like a SB touch?
2) SqueezeplayOS using reflash: Can I still install more software to it?

3) Xubunutu (additional USB): Can anyone give me some example was else is of great use? I want to either put it in the kitchen or next to the sofa.I could not find alot of youtube movies or blogs...

4) Looking at the poll, the majority is using stock O2. Why? Or are you using it in combination with squeezeplay`?

Cheers
The poll is very old :-)
I think nowadays Squeezeplay Os is possibly
1st place as lots of people use Jogglers for this that are not on this forum as well .

Xubuntu is a full Linux Os which will run Squeeze play and Kodi as well as all other PC type things so this might be your best bet you can set it to auto boot to whatever you like so will be just like squeezeplay Os .
To set up first it is best but not essential to use a keyboard and mouse wired or wireless as it can be a bit fiddly , a touch screen pen might work for you as well .
If you want to flash SqplayOs on internal you will not get much more software on there .
If you flash PNP III which is only for internal it had Squeezeplay built in as well so that might be worth a play about with first .
I have a collection of tiny USB sticks almost flush with various Os on them to play about with .
Also I'm not 100% sure about the screensaver question but think it will work OK .

The tools I posted and instructions on here will help also

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 345#p24345

The above link is for most Os like Xubuntu not PNP III .
Hope this helps .
Happy Joggling