Little App Launcher

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Little App Launcher

Post by roobarb! »

-------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - Version 1.08 - 13th September 2011
http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... Install.sh
-------------------------------------------

I wrote the Little App Launcher some time ago, in the hope that it would become a unified application launcher for the Joggler's native operating system. Every new app that came out appeared to be installing it's own web server to launch programs, which is wasteful of the Joggler's resources and actually completely unnecessary. However, because of the amount of work that needed to be put in to SqueezePlay, I never actually got around to telling anyone about the Little App Launcher.

If you are using SqueezePlay, you are already using Little App Launcher, as it handles any modifications needed to the applications.xml file.

What Does It Do?
At it's heart, Little App Launcher is a simple way of adding (and removing) custom apps from the Joggler's native user interface. Developers create a directory containing a small set of files in /media/launcher/apps - this is the Launcher for their application (and might actually contain the whole app). Their installer can then execute the Little App Launcher script which will deal with adding that app to applications.xml without disrupting others.

Removing an app is as simple as deleting the Launcher (and any associated files if needed) and triggering Little App Launcher again. There are two demo apps included with Little App Launcher in the /media/launcher/apps directory if you would like to test it out; Flash Earth and an Uptime application that runs from the web interface.

Did I not mention the web interface?

Web Interface
Any apps installed using Little App Launcher will appear in a web page that mimics the appearance of the Joggler's native UI. Clicking on an app will launch it, or quit it if it's already running. You can also make 'direct run' apps that just return an output to the web interface. They won't appear on the touchscreen interface, but might perform some kind of remote action and return a result. The 'Uptime' app is an example.

By default it runs on port 80, so just pop your Joggler's IP address into your browser (eg. http://192.168.0.1). If you're using gforums installer, Little App Launcher drops to port 8080 if it wasn't installed first (eg. http://192.168.0.1:8080).

Highlights:
  • Quick and easy means of getting apps onto the UI without duplication of effort.
  • No more messing about with the applications.xml file.
  • The applications.xml file is 'integrity checked' on every run - no more vanishing icons!
  • Applications will have their name underneath the icon - no more unidentified apps!
  • Web interface for launching and killing apps.
  • Web interface can be disabled if preferred.*
* You need to edit the script at the moment, but that might change.

Installation:

Code: Select all

cd /media
wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/native/launcher/launcherInstall.sh
chmod +x ./launcherInstall.sh
./launcherInstall.sh
Then why not:

cd /media/launcher/apps
tar zxvf demoapps.tgz
/media/launcher/index.cgi
Don't forget to read the README. It has more detail on use.

One important point
If your app has additional files (as SqueezePlay does) I think we should centralise storage for all of these into /media/opt/<yourappname>. Saves on mess.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
darrenkellum

Re: Little App Launcher

Post by darrenkellum »

Thanks roobarb! will give this a go later. Quick question. As I have PnP installed, if I type the IP currently into my browser I will access the PnP page. Will this conflict? How will i launch one or the other?
gegs

Post by gegs »

darrenkellum wrote:Thanks roobarb! will give this a go later. Quick question. As I have PnP installed, if I type the IP currently into my browser I will access the PnP page. Will this conflict? How will i launch one or the other?
I think your question was answered in roobarb's post. Put your Joggler's IP address in the browser address bar followed by the port number 8080 - e.g. http://192.168.0.1:8080
earthski63

Post by earthski63 »

Unfortunately I get an error message "failed with return code 0 and error message" after pasting in the line

wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... Install.sh

Any suggestions please?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

earthski63 wrote:Unfortunately I get an error message "failed with return code 0 and error message" after pasting in the line

wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/jo ... Install.sh

Any suggestions please?
Are you sure you've got the whole line?

wget http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/joggler/native/launcher/launcherInstall.sh
Working fine here...
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
darrenkellum

Post by darrenkellum »

Hi Roobarb,
Installed this fine and I can see the two test apps on the web after entering my ip. They dont seem to launch or close though? Am i right in thinking that if i click it on the web it launches on the jogger?
Could you post the code for uninstalling the test ones too?
And maybe an example app such as how to get Youtube or squeezeplayer onto the web ui?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

darrenkellum wrote:Hi Roobarb,
Installed this fine and I can see the two test apps on the web after entering my ip. They dont seem to launch or close though? Am i right in thinking that if i click it on the web it launches on the jogger?
Should do. What browser are you using? It's not been extensively tested, and I'll be honest, I have no time for Internet Explorer before version 9. Chrome or Safari should be fine.
darrenkellum wrote:Could you post the code for uninstalling the test ones too?
Just delete them and then re-run /media/launcher/index.cgi.
darrenkellum wrote:And maybe an example app such as how to get Youtube or squeezeplayer onto the web ui?
If you've installed my version of SqueezePlay (not via PnP), it should already be there. As for a YouTube demo, it's not something I'm planning on spending any time on. There's enough in those two demo apps to show developers how the idea works; it's over to them if they choose to use the launcher. I hope people do, because it should make things a little simpler and more organised.
verg0

Post by verg0 »

Great work roobarb!

The app launcher sounds great... is there a way to get your app launcher to work within the ubuntu 11.04 environment ?

via this method...

Start o2 software out of ubuntu on the Joggler :

Please have ssh and ftp access to close tango:
"apt-get install openssh-server vsftpd"

Must be in ROOT: "sudo su"

1. mount mmcblk0p2 somewhere, if not already done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt"

2. copy the whole openpeak folder to your root:
"sudo mkdir /openpeak"
"sudo cp -r /mnt/openpeak/* /openpeak"
"sudo umount /mnt"

3. mount mmcblk0p4, if not yet done:
"sudo mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt"

4. copy all its contents to /media:
"sudo cp -r /mnt/* /media"

5. copy then edit localrun:
"sudo cp /openpeak/tango/localrun /openpeak/tango/starto2"

EDIT the "/openpeak/tango/starto2" file (i use WinSCP as i don't like iv)
and uncomment "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa"

---

6. run these commands:
"export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./:/openpeak/tango/common_libs:/lib/intel:/usr/lib"

7. start tango from its directory by typing:
"cd /openpeak/tango/"
"./tango -fs /openpeak/gui/opphone.swf"
(-fs for fullscreen mode).

This way we could run even more 'apps' via 'the Tango frontend' keeping the look and feel of the joggler...

My idea was to create a 'web remote type' frontend for spotify in wine, this way we can all enjoy the spotify for free retaining the jogglers native look and feel...

Eg:

'Spotify in Wine' with 'remote control web app (say port 85)' running <--- 'BACKEND' >>>to>>> Remote control web app 127.0.0.1:85 'FRONTEND' launched from native 'Tango' interface.... If you get my meaning?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

verg0 wrote:Great work roobarb!

The app launcher sounds great... is there a way to get your app launcher to work within the ubuntu 11.04 environment ?

via this method...

<removed>

This way we could run even more 'apps' via 'the Tango frontend' keeping the look and feel of the joggler...
I'd recommend the binding method mentioned by BuZz rather than copying the files, but in essence, yes, it should Just Work.
verg0 wrote: My idea was to create a 'web remote type' frontend for spotify in wine, this way we can all enjoy the spotify for free retaining the jogglers native look and feel...

Eg:

'Spotify in Wine' with 'remote control web app (say port 85)' running <--- 'BACKEND' >>>to>>> Remote control web app 127.0.0.1:85 'FRONTEND' launched from native 'Tango' interface.... If you get my meaning?
Just about... good luck with that! :)
multiplex

Post by multiplex »

roobarb! wrote:
darrenkellum wrote:Hi Roobarb,
Should do. What browser are you using? It's not been extensively tested, and I'll be honest, I have no time for Internet Explorer before version 9. Chrome or Safari should be fine.
I don't get anything form within the browser (Firefox 7) either, I see three icons I can clock on and I can make stiff happen by running the cgi files from SSH. (also the demos have been installed in the Tango UI).

Not an issue for me - just saying.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Must try to find time to look into this...
jollyjoggler

Post by jollyjoggler »

doesn´t work here either with firefox 11.0 on pc. funny thing is, it works with the dolphin browser version 8.0.0 on my android phone :D .