Dead?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
halfbiscuit

Dead?

Post by halfbiscuit »

I think my joggler may have died during a recent house move. When you plug it in there are no signs of life, no boot screen - everything stays black. Tried the reflash EFI but again nothing happens.
I suspect I may have plugged in the wrong PSU to it and killed it. Anything I can do to save it?
hawsey

Re: Dead?

Post by hawsey »

I think it is bust unless you are a solderer :-) , if you have no green light on the back through the vents you will have blown either a minute fuse or a PSU , the screen is probably OK as I did the same to one of mine with a laptop supply and I canabalised the screen of it for another with a dead screen and good motherboard .
Happy Joggling
halfbiscuit

Post by halfbiscuit »

I see a flashing green light through the vents. Is this a glimpse of salvation?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yes and no ha ha , normally you would also get some sign of life on the screen , if the room is dark does it appear to light up at all ?

You might be able to try the blind typing rescue method with a USB hub , keyboard and Re flash stick see method below courtesy of Pete .
A - Don't Panic
B - Attach keyboard and known good usb stick, and apply power to the Joggler
C - Press escape frantically (oh yes just like the good ol' days)
D - Once the num-lock key has lit, press escape a few more times. The process has worked if the numlock/caps lock key switches on and off when you press the appropriate key.
E - type the following: fs1:boot and press enter. You are typing blind thanks to the jogglers boot screen.
F - If it doesn't boot the USB stick repeat the whole process.
G - It it doesn't work repeat the whole process but type fs0:boot and press enter

Good Luck :-)
Happy Joggling
halfbiscuit

Post by halfbiscuit »

Thanks for the info I tried this out but it didn't work. I had some USB speakers attached and the just keep clicking as if they are being power cycled every half second or so. Also you can see the green light inside the joggler going on and off. Almost like it is stuck in a very short reboot cycle.
pete

Post by pete »

If you open up the Joggler and take it apart some you will see more. You will need to look at the flip side of the motherboard.

While the CPU does get a bit warm you can check it without the heat sink. There is also a zif clip to the NIC part that sometimes will come off.

I have purchased one that the diode next to the power input was burned up. Replacing the diode got it going again.

Flashing lights would be next to the EFI boot rom that flash when booting Joggler, Network chip and WLAN USB stick.

The Joggler will boot up fine without an LCD attached via Buzz's Ubuntu. Give it a try and then look to ping the network address.

Check to see if the LCD screen flat cable is plugged in properly as I have seen it get loose.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

halfbiscuit wrote:Thanks for the info I tried this out but it didn't work. I had some USB speakers attached and the just keep clicking as if they are being power cycled every half second or so. Also you can see the green light inside the joggler going on and off. Almost like it is stuck in a very short reboot cycle.
You may have sort of answered your own question.

Jogglers can be temperamental about booting when you have unusual/multiple usb devices attached. Try removing the usb speakers and see what happens. I'm assuming they were plugged into the side usb port.

I've had the same behaviour as you explain, many times, due to having a hub with devices plugged in at boot time. Sometimes you can get lucky and find the port that the joggler likes for the boot flash drive to be in. And jogglers can be a bit temperamental about that too. So it may not be the same port in the hub, all the time, that they will boot from.

The joggler may have seen the usb speakers and tried booting from it !

Of course it could be something else. Not too long ago a joggler booted into whatever was on the internal mmc and that seemed ok. A few years ago there were reports that jogglers were phoning home and trying to download new firmware after o2/openpeak dropped support for them. However I've not seen anything like that reported here recently.

HTH
halfbiscuit

Post by halfbiscuit »

Well still no joy with this - I took the unit apart and could not see anything visibly damaged. When dismantled and powered up you just see a green flashing LED on the mainboard and the WIFI card. I have another working joggler and the LED can be seen through the vents as permanently on. When a keyboard or USB hub are attached they do not seem to receive steady power from the joggler so as I say, I think it is just in a reboot cycle - you never see anything on the screen and when viewed in the dark it does not appear to be lit.
If anyone out there would like a crack at repairing this I would happily pay - I don't want to say goodbye to one of my jogglers!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Have you tried unplugging the WiFi card , just in case :-) failing that I'm not sure , like Pete says , maybe plug in a known working usb os stick in , fire it up , see if the green light is permanent , then see from another device if the IP address shows up , that way you would know it was just the screen faulty .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Is the back light illuminating?

When dismantled and powered up you just see a green flashing LED on the mainboard and the WIFI card.

That is good news if the green flashing LED is next to the EFI boot chip. Did you check the LCD connection to the motherboard to make sure it is tight?

I have another working joggler and the LED can be seen through the vents as permanently on.

Well with another working Joggler you can rewrite the EFI boot chip to the bad joggler if that is a problem.

Test by removing the EFI boot chip from the working Joggler and installing it in the non working Joggler. Look see if you see the EFI boot chip booting with any logo. If you do then this rules out an LCD issue and you may just have an EFI boot chip issue. The EFI boot chip is easy to remove. Just make sure you mark the chip with a little arrow pointing up or something similar.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
stephenB96

Post by stephenB96 »

i have a problem where the screen flashes once and nothing happens and the green light at the rear stays a solid green.
pete

Post by pete »

Baby steps.

First check your power supply.

Mentioned above too is that the barrel connection board inside of the joggler is hot melt glued in place.

If it gets loose then the power plug doesn't connect or just connects when you push it in place then disconnects when you let go of it.

The easy fix here is to take apart your joggler including the motherboard. There is a ribbon cable connected to the board in question. The two power wires are separate. Look see if the board is loose and either heat up carefully the hot melt glue or use a glue gun and add more glue.
- Pete

Auto mater
stephenB96

Post by stephenB96 »

how can i check the power supply?
pete

Post by pete »

Check the voltage of the power supply with a voltmeter or plug the power supply in to another Joggler.

voltmeter.jpg
voltmeter.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 11035 times
- Pete

Auto mater
stephenB96

Post by stephenB96 »

i went and checked all the mainboard connections and all look ok.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Have you tried one of the Os builds on a USB stick ? Where you on stock OS or PNPIII ?
When you say the screen flashes , is it white or do you see a logo or anything ?

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

+1 to what Hawsey suggests.

If you have the joggler apart have a look at leds next to the boot chip to see if they blink when you first power it on. This will show you that it is reading the boot chip. If the boot chip is trashed it might only blink once and not afterwards.

The boot chip / 4 LEDs are shown in this picture.

While you are there check out the board in this picture that is hot melt glued to the back of the joggler. I have fixed about 5 of these now that the board had moved inwards and making the power plug loosey goosey.

- Pete

Auto mater
stephenB96

Post by stephenB96 »

sorry for the late reply the screen flashes white no logo.
pete

Post by pete »

Here I see my older Jogglers (that are mostly off) flash white when first booting and well the screens look a bit washed and I cannot see the logo much until they warm up.

I would try as Hawsey suggests above booting with a currently posted image written to a stick.
- Pete

Auto mater