Telstra OpenPeak Joggler / DECT handset woes

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jimeney

Telstra OpenPeak Joggler / DECT handset woes

Post by jimeney »

You might recall some time ago I bit the bullet and ordered one of these interesting looking contraptions. It's taken me this long to find the time to power it up and have a play.

I'm stumped. I've tried to enable telnet, enable SSH via the documented methods that work oh so well on the O2 jogglers, but I can't get anything to take. The software is build 16380 (April 22 2009) so I'm assuming this is a pretty good reason why the SSH mod won't take.

Can anyone help me out with some ideas? I don't really want to flash to the O2 sunset build because I will lose DECT, for which I was hoping to have a SIP handset up and running.

Thanks in advance.

James
pete

Re: Telstra OpenPeak Joggler / DECT handset woes

Post by pete »

I think there is a "tools" or "utilities" directory buried in the original OS. The tools are for DECT and Zigbee.

Back up the entire 2Gb MMC maybe with DD. Then maybe write most updated firmware (which is still the original kernel) and update that stuff with the old DECT and Zigbee stuff?

Just a guess.

You can maybe boot with BuZz's Ubuntu USB stick and modify the main OS boot such that it doesn't load the flash gui and rather leaves you at a terminal.

I have a few of the Verizon OpenPeak DECT/Telco devices with handsets there were left in this test mode. The tools worked fine.

Using the tools though you may be able to get the chip sets used for DECT and Zigbee. You can talk to the devices with the OS and the tools.

Personally here I am using the OpenPeak devices as consoles for automation (in Linux and Wintel right now).

There is a combo bluetooth and WLAN card in the mini PCie slot. I have tried an mSATA and MLC mini pcie card in the slot and it didn't work.

I did install a Crystal HD mini pcie card in the slot and can stream live and recorded 1080 HD video just fine with KODI / XBMC.

BTW much of the modding or hacking for DECT these days is not easy to find these days. Personally here did get the Openpeak / Verizon DECT phones working OK with my Ooma VOIP box. Not all of the features worked though on the phones. I was able to pair the phones easily to the Ooma VOIP box.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Do you know where I'd find the most up to date firmware for this model?
pete

Post by pete »

Personally I wouldn't utilize Telstra's firmware and I would switch to Avaya's firmware / OS.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Any ideas where the Avaya firmware can be found?
pete

Post by pete »

I will look at one of the Devices that I have not opened yet in the next couple of days and post the firmware link.

A verizon one too should work.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Tried the Cisco firmware via the reflasher usb stick but now can't get past the OpenPeak splash screen :(

I noticed the firmware was labelled of2 indicating it was meant for the Openframe 2. I'm not sure my Telstra device would be considered as that, it looks just like a joggler and doesn't have the front speaker, so this is self inflicted no doubt.

I can't get the reflasher to boot properly now so I fear I might have trashed it.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I went into this expecting the device to be unusable so I will accept the inevitable if I need to.
pete

Post by pete »

Generally the assumption is that the O2, Openpeak 1 and the Openpeak 2 are the devices mostly discussed here on the forum.

1 - O2 was a custom job from the Openpeak 1
2 - Openpeak 1 included Zigbee, DECT, ZIF PATA port, microphone - It was an energy kiosk and a telephony kiosk sold by multiple vendors
3 - Openpeak 2 included Zigbee, DECT, soldered in EFI ROM, combination mini pcie wireless and bluetooth card, camera USB port on the top and a standard USB port in the back.

Both #2 and #3 were utilized as energy and telephony devices.

I have seen also a label on #2 with a name of Openpeak 7e. The base EFI boot ROMs were Openpeak while some were also done up special by reselling vendor (IE Cisco, Telstra, Ayava, Verizon, et al).

I have used most of the ROMs in either #1, #2, or #3. Some of the ROMs here were configured to call up home and update themselves to proprietary bricks. Thinking that these ROMs lock out the USB ports for updating.

The historical fix for these relate to blind typing to interupt the configured ROM boot EFI process and manually blind typing a USB boot; IE: fs1:boot or fs0:boot et al.

With this information it is difficult to brick an Openpeak device. Less so with the EFI boot chip that you can hot swap. What can happen though is an interrupt to the write of the EFI boot ROM to the soldered on chip of the Openpeak 2. The only fix here would be to remove and resolder the EFI boot chip and replace it or put in a socket.

On a socketed EFI boot rom device; just put a working EFI chip in the ROM socket. Boot up and save the EFI rom to a usb stick, hot swap the chip and write the save ROM to the old chip that doesn't boot.

Over the years here have played with all of the aforementioned devices as I have them. I have written EFI boot roms from the OF1 to the OF2 and from the OF2 to the OF1.

So all is not lost and you probably can get your device to boot using the blind booting method.

1 - plug in a USB keyboard
2 - plugin Buzz's Ubuntu USB stick
3 - power up the Openpeak device
4 - watch the LED lights on the keyboard
5 - as soon as you see one light up keep hitting the ESC key
6 - then type fs0:boot or fs1:boot and
7 - the USB stick will boot
8 - I have done this before. It is a PITA and it didn't work at first with the Keyboard I was using.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

I didnt manage to find a suitable EFI file to overwrite so unless the reflasher also took care of Efi, this is as standard. I looked for a suitable Efi file to write based on it being 1mb in size, but o couldn't find one through my searching. I'll give some further time to this today and hopefully get things back up and running. James
pete

Post by pete »

There are two sets of updates.

1 - 1Gb/2Gb MMC writes (these are telephony, energy or you can write the updated O2 stuff => Telstra, O2, Openpeak, Verizon, Cisco, Telio,Swisscom)
2 - 1Mb EFI boot rom writes. (O2, OpenPeak, Telstra, Avaya, Cisco, Telio,)

Here I have settled on the Avaya ROM.

I have attached a copy of it.
of2_efi_avaya.img.zip
(561.73 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
Many of mine were of the Verizon boot rom and MMC. I will upload the ROM here and post a link for the Verizon MMC.

I have never played with the Cisco MMC.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Thinking about this some more ....

What provides the ability to boot from the USB stick is the EFI rom. If that get trashed then you will not be able to boot a USB stick. That is why a hot swap or replacement of the EFI boot rom fixes many bricked Jogglers. I have had issues twice when writing to an EFI boot rom and it not working in the last few years.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

I think the EFI is intact, as whilst I could not get completely into the reflasher, I got far enough that it must have been past EFI and onto the USB, it just failed to boot completely. I'll try and rewrite the reflasher to USB and see if this perhaps got damaged. I look forward to having a play with another ROM to see if this solves it.

Thanks for all your help so far, I'm feeling a little inept at this point!
pete

Post by pete »

Yup the reflasher only writes to the MMC. Basically formats it and DD's an image to it. IF the MMC is worn down it will show errors whilst doing it. I do not pay attention and typically walk away. You can tell though about the worn MMC and the time frame it takes to write it or seeing errors on the writes.

If you can get it to boot a Ubuntu USB stick then you can run GPARTED to check the MMC for errors.

Baby steps and take your time.

Two pieces here.

1 - boot efi ROM which is 1Mb and there are a few different ones. I mentioned the Avaya boot ROM. This boots with an Avaya logo. The other one is the Openpeak boot ROM and that boots up with an Openpeak logo. (and the custom made seabios boot rom)

2 - 1 and 2 Gb chip MMC images. The 2Gb MMC chip is only present on the OpenPeak 2 models with the speakers in the front.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Booted up a virgin Verizon telco Openpeak device today. This is the O2 Joggler sized telco unit. These pair up with the Verizon Handsets.

It is in test mode and it came from Openpeak and starts at a terminal session. (batch came with Verizon new bootup or test mode going to a terminal session)

Probably should archive this one as it is an Openpeak original. Files here will be the Openpeak EFI boot ROM and a DD of the 1Gb MMC.

I am using BuZz's Ubuntu to copy out the ROM and DD the MMC partition. These are my steps to get the images.

1 - validated boot to terminal session
2 - booted up via Buzz's Ubuntu
3 - SSHing to device via my Ubuntu desktop
4 - Tried an SSD USB stick to write to...it uses up too much power on the USB hub...went to a cheapo older 4Gb USB stick

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/uba: 4007 MB, 4007657472 bytes
61 heads, 21 sectors/track, 6110 cylinders, total 7827456 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbc35309b
   Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/uba1            2048     7827455     3912704    b  W95 FAT32
5 - Here is the MMC stuff.

Code: Select all

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1028 MB, 1028128768 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 31376 cylinders, total 2008064 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/mmcblk0p1   *          16      125055       62520   ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
/dev/mmcblk0p2          125056      625151      250048   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3          625152     1125247      250048   83  Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p4         1125248     2008063      441408   83  Linux
6 - mounting USB stick

A - mkdir /media/stick
B - mount /dev/uba1 /media/stick
C - cd /media/stick

7 - copying over EFI boot rom to stick
root@joggler:/media/stick# dd if=/dev/fh of=/media/stick/verizon.rom bs=1024k
1048576 bytes (1.0 MB) copied, 0.819556 s, 1.3 MB/s

8 - copying over MMC image to stick
root@joggler:/media/stick# dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/media/stick/verizon.img bs=1024k
1028128768 bytes (1.0 GB) copied, 150.217 s, 6.8 MB/s

9 - check sizes of files
root@joggler:/media/stick# ls -la
total 1005064
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 4 11:03 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Mar 4 10:55 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1028128768 Mar 4 11:06 verizon.img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1048576 Mar 4 11:02 verizon.rom

10 - Files uploaded here

Verizon Openpeak EFI boot ROM

http://1drv.ms/1QquDbJ

Verizon Openpeak MMC image in test mode

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2 ... ile%2czip
Verizon Openpeak MMC image in first boot mode (note this comes up to Verizon initial configuration - virgin image)

http://1drv.ms/1p561N8

11 - unzip these files to a fat32 USB stick

12 - boot up to Buzz's Ubuntu and SSH over to the Openpeak device

13 - mount USB stick as done earlier

14 - Write efi boot rom to Openpeak device

A - modprobe fh
B - dd if=/mnt/stick/verizon.rom of=/dev/fh count=1 bs=1024k

15 - write mmc image to Openpeak device

TEST MODE

dd if=/mnt/stick/verizon.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

Virgin Verizon Image

dd if=/mnt/stick/verizon-stock.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M

16 - use gparted on Buzz's Ubuntu to check mmc device. You should see the efi boot partition and the 3 other EXT partitions.

17 - remove the boot Buzz stick and regular USB stick. Do a cold boot. It should boot up to a terminal window or Verizon OS.
- Pete

Auto mater
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

I succeeded in installing the Verizon rom. But I cannot get past the Downloading updates screen. Also it doesn't see my WIFI networks. I have an openframe 2.0 device.

Any other roms to get the DECT to work?
pete

Post by pete »

Good news!

Just connect it to a network interface. It will error out and the base screens will be there. You can then pair up your DECT phone with it.
- Pete

Auto mater
sanjap

Post by sanjap »

Pete, i did connect to a network interface. It has been "Downloading updates..." now for almost 5hours. Can't get it past this stage.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for posting these. I will try it out this evening. I noticed the EFI rom and the first image (Test) mode were the same link. Would you recommend the test mode image, or should I stick with the factory eMMC image posted below this?

Thank you

James
pete

Post by pete »

Yup all I have are these new Verizon boxes and it worked for me a couple of years back and the DECT phones paired up fine.

That said I checked my cache of Verizon devices and they are in the new mode or test mode at this time. That is all I have.

I redid the post for the test Verizon MMC image. I had some issues with the link this morning.

Note that the ROM is only 1Mb and the MMC image is more and zipped.

The EFI boot rom is an Openpeak one and you will not see any Verizon Logo on it.

The Avaya EFI boot rom shows the Avaya logo when first booting.

I have never seen a Cisco boot EFI rom booting so I do not know about it.

Thinking here also have a virgin unopened Openpeak 2 (big one) with one DECT handset. Will have a look see. These have the DECT / Zigbee chips on them but use a mini pcie card with bluetooth and wireless and have a working with battery RTC on them. It is sort of an update to the Openpeak 1 devices.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

I'm afraid I'm seeing the same issue reported by sanjap - it won't proceed past the 'downloading updates' and does not error out as you suggested. Any ideas?