Hi-Fi system on Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
cszhy

Hi-Fi system on Joggler

Post by cszhy »

Hi all:

I found a Hi-fi system(Daphile) which running on PC .It also seems to use a EFI to boot.
the problem is I'm not able to boot it from Joggler using the usbstick made by that system.
do I need to add some files to the usbstick to make it bootable on joggler.

1.1 startup.nsh
1.2 boot.nsh
1.3 grub.cfg

do I really need to add these files?

http://www.daphile.com/#features
pete

Re: Hi-Fi system on Joggler

Post by pete »

do I really need to add these files?

yup

Read here on the Joggler EFI boot process:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/EFI

You might be able to do some quickie manipulation of the ISO stuff. Write the ISO to a boot stick. Look at the fat EFI partition and what it is doing with Linux boot partition; then have a look at the current EFI stuff for squeezebox and tweak it and use that instead? Note that the custom fat EFI boot stuff relates to the EFI BIOS chip on the Joggler which is not like a regular PC EFI boot bios chip.

Note this is a guess.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This looks really nice :-) let us know if you get it to boot .
Happy Joggling
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:do I really need to add these files?

yup

Read here on the Joggler EFI boot process:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/EFI

You might be able to do some quickie manipulation of the ISO stuff. Write the ISO to a boot stick. Look at the fat EFI partition and what it is doing with Linux boot partition; then have a look at the current EFI stuff for squeezebox and tweak it and use that instead? Note that the custom fat EFI boot stuff relates to the EFI BIOS chip on the Joggler which is not like a regular PC EFI boot bios chip.

Note this is a guess.
Yes, I already wrote the ISO to a bootdisk and it can be used on pc,
But I have no idea how to edit this three documents to make it bootable on Joggler .
Is it possible that anyone can make it then we will have a convient hifi system on joggler.

Thanks
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

hawsey wrote:This looks really nice :-) let us know if you get it to boot .
Actually I'm a idiot on Linux,hope someone can help
pete

Post by pete »

There is way more than just getting it to boot. That is the primary piece. The video and audio drivers in Linux are specific to the Joggler.

I will try it today on the seabios stuff. Looks like it is made to boot on anything. I have a split of Jogglers running today on the EFI and Seabios boot roms.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:There is way more than just getting it to boot. That is the primary piece. The video and audio drivers in Linux are specific to the Joggler.

I will try it today on the seabios stuff. Looks like it is made to boot on anything. I have a split of Jogglers running today on the EFI and Seabios boot roms.
It's really nice to hear that!!!Thanks buddy
pete

Post by pete »

It starts to boot using coreboot fine changing the syslinux.cfg vga=786 or vga=normal.

It lets me configure everything. Then it goes to trash video or a kernel panic and doesn't start.
- Pete

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:It starts to boot using coreboot fine changing the syslinux.cfg vga=786 or vga=normal.

It lets me configure everything. Then it goes to trash video or a kernel panic and doesn't start.
its a pitty, anyway thanks for your help
pete

Post by pete »

You are welcome.

I did install it as a VM on another computer today. Looks a lot like Squeezeserver.

Might give it a go on the MythTV / Squeezebox Server computer.
- Pete

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:It starts to boot using coreboot fine changing the syslinux.cfg vga=786 or vga=normal.

I suddenly realized that it might be a misunderstanding when you say it appears to trash video.
because when the server starts to work, the screen will be shut off and need to access the server through Ipad or other mobile device with remote control app installed.
so maybe you can try to use some app such as "squeeze control" or "squeeze commander"on android or other squeeze app on apple to access the server.
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; if you go low res and watch about half way through the loading the video flickers once and it either hangs there or goes to a kernel panic.
- Pete

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:Yup; if you go low res and watch about half way through the loading the video flickers once and it either hangs there or goes to a kernel panic.
I'd be appreciated if you can upload the files need to be added to the usbstick then I can have a try. thanks a lot
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

cszhy wrote:
pete wrote:Yup; if you go low res and watch about half way through the loading the video flickers once and it either hangs there or goes to a kernel panic.
I'd be appreciated if you can upload the files need to be added to the usbstick then I can have a try. thanks a lot
Have you got more than one Joggler ? You will need to change the bios to the Core Boot /Seabios this will mean that efi boot will no longer work on this Joggler while you are messing :-)
It is reversible easily but comes with the usual risks of bricking etc no one has managed that yet though .
After you have your modified joggler you can just burn a bootable CD or USB and try to boot from that like a normal PC
See below
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686
Happy Joggling
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

hawsey wrote:
cszhy wrote:
Have you got more than one Joggler ? You will need to change the bios to the Core Boot /Seabios this will mean that efi boot will no longer work on this Joggler while you are messing :-)
It is reversible easily but comes with the usual risks of bricking etc no one has managed that yet though .
After you have your modified joggler you can just burn a bootable CD or USB and try to boot from that like a normal PC
See below
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686
OK, thanks, I have 3 joggler in different place. I think its best on music steaming under linux,
so not decided whether I should flash the bios or not as the Daphile seems not working on Joggler.
pete

Post by pete »

The image you write on the USB stick works with EFI or old booting using MBR. I didn't change the image other than these VGA= pieces. The issue relating to the video stuff would be the same if I got it to boot with the EFI boot rom.

Another thing you would try maybe is to SSH (if you can) to a running Daphile set up and just copy over the application files; IE: the interface must be sitting in one directory; eh?
- Pete

Auto mater
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

pete wrote:The image you write on the USB stick works with EFI or old booting using MBR. I didn't change the image other than these VGA= pieces. The issue relating to the video stuff would be the same if I got it to boot with the EFI boot rom.

Another thing you would try maybe is to SSH (if you can) to a running Daphile set up and just copy over the application files; IE: the interface must be sitting in one directory; eh?
do you mean that I don't need to add any files to the usbdisk? but I can't boot joggler just use that stick.
pete

Post by pete »

do you mean that I don't need to add any files to the usbdisk?

Yes and no. It boots fine using coreboot/seabios except the the video gotchas.

You would need to shift some files around for the EFI boot way.

None the less the issue is related to the EMGD video drivers. This is whether you utilize coreboot or EFI.

but I can't boot joggler just use that stick.

Yes you can if you update the bios from the EFI to the coreboot bios. It is easy to do.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Would Daphile not work on another small PC as a server and the jogglers could access the server ?
That would be a start :-)
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Haven't a clue how to use it but is this what you want.
Attachments
booted on the EFI joggler
booted on the EFI joggler
20160204_105403.jpg
Connected to my network through ethernet
Connected to my network through ethernet
Jogglermaniac