OS X Snow Leopard on the Core Booted Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
mickchip

OS X Snow Leopard on the Core Booted Joggler

Post by mickchip »

Just this minute got the Joggler to boot Snow Leopard
Screen res is 800x480 no wifi or Ethernet as yet but I will work on it.
Touch screen works but is out of alignment.
I am that excited I dare not switch it off, been trying to get this working for years.
PS it crashes if you click on "About This Mac"
Attachments
Very first time it booted, my jaw dropped
Very first time it booted, my jaw dropped
Lots of checking and testing to do
Lots of checking and testing to do
Jogglermaniac
roobarb!

Re: OS X Snow Leopard on the Core Booted Joggler

Post by roobarb! »

No way! You're pulling my leg, surely?!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Here is a pic of the joggler boot screen, it does survive reboots.
Attachments
20160126_225827.jpg
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Very nice MickChip!!!
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Wow Mickchip , is this on a sea bios Joggler ? And instructions please :-)
What image did you use etc
Loving it .
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Link to a video on YouTube, takes approx. 60secs to boot.
Will let you know how when I've finished getting it right

https://youtu.be/gVk21TkJRlU
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just had a like look at the Vid Mick , looks quite responsive , never thought this would ever work on a Joggler 8-)
Well done that man .
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Another update, now have Ethernet & Wifi working
Attachments
Showing Ethernet & Wifi connected
Showing Ethernet & Wifi connected
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Excellent Mick , I will await instructions :-) have you tried this on a USB or HDD yet or just your USB ssd in the picture ?
Have you a link to the SSD you use please , think I need one .
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Can't find any of the Kingspec ones but there are these on ebay
but I don't know what they are like.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netac-U903-US ... SwJkJWlYOQ

Actually Pete said he had just bought a Kingspec one, maybe he could help.
When I've finished sorting it out I will probably post an image on my one drive or do a torrent.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Yup; here got a 32 Gb Kingspec SSD USB stick from Amazon last week. I took it apart - should have taken a picture of it.

The 8Gb SSD Kingspec USB sticks that I use have two memory chips in it. None are in cases these days and just wrapped in paper or tape.

Noticed that the board on the 32Gb SSD was smaller and there was only one 32Gb SSD chip on it such that it fits nicer inside of the Joggler.
kingspec32gbssdusb.jpg
That said it was not ordered by me and it came from the other side of this planet.

I just set up a 32Gb O2 Joggler (with MAC write) Squeezeplayer box and shipped it to the other side of this planet.

Also ordered a (well not me but for me) 1.3" (not 1.5") ZIF PATA 32 Gb SSD card for the W10 testing. I should get it today.

Relating to W10 went back to trying the Redmond Enterprise edition on the 16Gb 1.5" ZIF SSD drive.

I am wondering if it is needing a 32Gb base rather than a 16Gb base drive?

Thinking I will try the build mentioned by mickchip above as this one keeps stopping while installing (with the MAC address firmware write).

I would be cautious about ordering a USB stick using SSD verbiage (with no real meat) to describe it as it appears to be very commonly used as a description these days.

BTW now twice in the last 30 days I have ordered some widget from Amazon Prime and two times have gotten something a bit different. It is easy to return but there is absolutely no way to try to communicate with vendor selling product. First product function was the same except the picture was of a different design which is what I wanted to purchase. The second one was the last RTC I purchased with a charging circuit that'll blow up the wrong battery that they are shipping not as described. I am paying more for the product and getting less which is bugging me. I tried to use certain verbiage in the comments suggesting a fraudulent seller and Amazon would not post the comments; so softened them up a bit stating the same thing. Must be worrying about hurting feelings. Something or somebody pre reads the stuff before acceptance to post.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers guys , are the SSD s just better for booting an os? I don't understand the whole Joggler usb thing , I would think in simple terms that the usb 3 64 gig SanDisk would max out the usb 2 port on the joggler and you couldn't get quicker than that . Or is it the way the SSD writes / reads ?
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

The old USB 2.0 Kingspec SSD had really good RW speeds. One of the issues though with booting from a USB stick was that the boot process on the Joggler would always reset the power on the USB port. This caused some havoc with the Wintel stuff.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

are the SSD s just better for booting an os?

yes

Here took apart the first Kingspec SSD USB sticks because they were way too big to fit inside of the Joggler. That said you could see the difference in the design of the Kingspec SSD device versus a plan old USB stick. I have noticed too that my old 8 Gb Kingspec USB sticks are power suckers.

Here is a quickie summary relating to USB 3.0 quick fast cheap sticks versus a true SSD device.

Both Flash and SSD are based on NAND-based flash memory, which retains data without power, and so can be labelled as Flash memory.

Technologically, the main differences between the two are in :

1 - The underlying technology used to construct the NAND,
2 - The quality of the Flash memory controller,
3 - The computer connector : USB or SATA.

NAND technologies

NAND technologies diverge on two points : Speed and price.

On the one hand one finds MLC (Multi-level cell) which is a memory element capable of storing more than a single bit of information. Most MLC NAND flash memory has four possible states per cell (or even more with TLC), so it can store several bits of information per cell. This reduces the number of required transistors, so reducing size and manufacturing costs, while also reducing speed and increasing the possibility of errors.

On the other hand one finds SLC (single-level cell), where each cell can exist in one of two states, storing one bit of information per cell. This increases the access speed, while also increasing manufacturing costs and electricity usage.

An MLC cell is typically rated at 10,000 erase/write cycles, while an SLC cell might last 10 times that before failing.

Because of these differences, MLC is typically used in slower and cheaper media, accessed typically via USB. A good SSD will use SLC and be costlier, but faster, have a longer life-time and be typically accessed via SATA 2 or 3.

Memory controller

A USB mass storage controller has only a small micro-controller with a small amount of on-chip ROM and RAM.

An SSD controller is much more complicated. The controller is an embedded processor that executes firmware-level code and is one of the most important factors of SSD performance. Some of the functions performed by the controller include:

Error-correcting code (ECC)
Wear leveling
Bad block mapping
Read scrubbing and read disturb management
Read and write caching
Garbage collection
Encryption

In a hybrid SSD, the controller will also manage a small classical hard disk.

Connector

A flash stick normally uses a standard-A USB plug that provides the physical interface to the host computer. These can now go up to USB-3 speeds for the more costly models, or USB-2 for the common ones.

SSD technology uses electronic interfaces compatible with traditional block input/output (I/O) internal hard disk drives. Additionally, new I/O interfaces, like SATA Express, have been designed to address specific requirements of the SSD technology. Most SSD cards are typically much faster than classical hard drives.

Relating to one review of a USB 3.0 stick...

On Amazon, the SanDisk Extreme USB drive has a 4.5 star average with more than 300 user reviews.

One Amazon reviewer especially praises the 4K performance and explains why this drive is so damn fast:

“This stick is essentially a single NAND device (probably with multiple die inside) paired with the same controller found on Sandisks U100 SSDs. While they aren’t the leader of the pack, that controller is obviously FAR better than your standard USB stick flash management controller. So quite literally we have an SSD on a stick here.

“…I consider these things a steal for the price, a real SSD controller, quality NAND and S.M.A.R.T monitoring capability. I don’t see any problem with the housing either it seems sturdy enough to me and I like the retracting connector (the entire board inside moves, so don’t worry there are no ribbon cables to wear out inside).”
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great thanks Pete , you never fail to deliver :-)
How's the build going Mickchip ?
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Just sent for one of these to test dual booting windows 10 & snow leopard
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281828337376? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Jogglermaniac
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Found the Kingspec ones ones now Amazon, bit expensive though.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ec+usb+2.0
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

What about these Hyundai HS2 60GB USB3 External Solid State Drive - Blue Hummingbird https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ENLEDQY/ ... Rwb9E09W2T
Happy Joggling
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

It's extremely large @Product Dimensions 20 x 16.6 x 3.8 cm
Jogglermaniac
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ha ha didn't see that , are you planning of stripping it and having it internal with wireless on the side port or on an external hub like in your pics ?
Happy Joggling