EMGD driver and screen tearing

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
trs79

EMGD driver and screen tearing

Post by trs79 »

I'm using EMGD 1.18 on Ubuntu 14.04 32bit, and while 2D and 3D acceleration is working, there is significant tearing when moving graphics horizontally in both 2D and 3D. I'm using the xorg.conf from a LinuxMint distribution for the Joggler from joggler.exotica.org.uk. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Could it be related to an option in xorg.conf like "ALL/1/Port/4/Dtd/1/PixelClock" ? Thanks
Juggler

Re: EMGD driver and screen tearing

Post by Juggler »

I can't answer your question, but I am interested.

Is version 1.18 the version that comes with BuZz's distros or have you installed this ? I know from the past that BuZz has stated that there are some serious issues with EMGD and later versions of the Linux kernel (not 100% on this). Also I remember BuZz stating that he was trying to get some answers from the EMGD community but not having much luck.

Would be interesting and maybe useful if you could provide some further information on what you have done and what results and messages/logs you have.

Be nice to see some example screen shots too of screen tearing.
trs79

Re: EMGD driver and screen tearing

Post by trs79 »

Thanks for your interest. Below is an image of SqueezePlay with a custom album art that I created to showcase the tearing. I took a picture while pressing the music button which slides the album art and track information across the screen. You can see definite horizontal tearing.

I actually installed the EMGD driver from https://github.com/EMGD-Community/intel-binaries-linux, but I have tried Xubuntu from http://jwills.co.uk/ and when dragging windows across the screen I can see tearing on the edges so it looks like that distro has the same issue. Interestingly enough, the tearing is in 2D (which I assume is due to the driver accelerating Xrender drawing operations). I've seen tearing in 3D in other systems using Nvidia drivers, but usually not 2D.

So far I have tried many options in Xorg.conf, including enabling "TearFB", and "ShadowFB". Looking at the logs shows those features are enabled. I've also poured through the EMGD user manual but can't seem to figure out the issue.