how to use new graphics drivers in unr

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

how to use new graphics drivers in unr

Post by danfoshizzle »

could anyone explain how to incorporate the graphics drivers in buzz's newest builds into ubuntu netbook remix?

on a side note how would i go about modifying another linux distro to boot on the joggler?
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Re: how to use new graphics drivers in unr

Post by pete »

The new build shows:
root@joggler:~# lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) (rev 07)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 8119
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
Attachments
Poulsbo.jpg
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

danfoshizzle wrote:could anyone explain how to incorporate the graphics drivers in buzz's newest builds into ubuntu netbook remix?

on a side note how would i go about modifying another linux distro to boot on the joggler?
it won't work as there will be an xserver version mismatch. Why not just upgrade to the latest ubuntu? if you like the interface of netbook remix, you can get that working my current ubuntu natty images.

http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/2011/ ... y-narwhal/

as for modifying another distro, you need a new kernel with some changes for stuff to work right on the joggler (I link to some patches from my site), you then need to install and match the version of X and emgd. need to handle the fact eth0 doesnt have a mac address with some script or hardcode it. plus fixes and workaround for various other things. I usually start with an install on virtualbox, then rsync it to a usb stick and start from there.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

cheers buzz always fancied having a go at something like this, i mean i already build customized versions of winpe for rescue/collection purposes but this is a whole new ball game, think i may have a go at trying out another distro.
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

how would i go about converting the vm to a pyhsical os on the usb?
more to come!!

BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

danfoshizzle wrote:how would i go about converting the vm to a pyhsical os on the usb?
i rsync the filesystem and construct an image from that using losetup and /dev/loopx devices. Some of my scripts are here

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/scripts/

also some filesystem overlay stuff for ubuntu is here http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/source/overlay/ although it's a bit out of date. other stuff is in that folder too such as kernel patches.
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

cheers mate having a go now, thanks for your help
more to come!!

moka

Post by moka »

I have not used Ubuntu on the Joggler since the original, what sort of performance increase does this new graphics driver bring?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Works extremely well for me, but the hardware acceleration (VA-API) of H.264 content is absolutely amazing. The Joggler can play back 1080p H.264 video through the graphics chip perfectly (not that 1080p is necessary on a 800x480 screen, but there you go!).

I don't have the link to hand for BuZz's VA-API binaries, but I'm sure he can point you in the right direction!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)