Will this boot from the USB for sqplayOS ?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Will this boot from the USB for sqplayOS ?

Post by castalla »

Is this an openpeak 'joggler'?

Will it boot from USB? What about sqpOS audio output- working?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Home-Ener ... 1212610305
Last edited by castalla on Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim_lewis1

Re: Will this boot from the USB for sqplayOS ?

Post by jim_lewis1 »

It looks very much like a rebadged joggler. SOme more info here:
http://archive.linuxgizmos.com/home-ene ... u-on-atom/
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

There's a few in the US. Cisco HEM brings up this, around 70 quid ot the uk at current bid:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIPPING-C ... SwQTVV~bMO
castalla

Post by castalla »

Yes BUT I've read here that the Ciscos have some modified boot efi. Not sure it'll boot from the USB ....
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

ah, sorry. no idea. guess Pete will know. Still, it's another source of Jogglers if so.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hmmm .... seems nobody knows !!!!
pete

Post by pete »

I have tried over the years and USB boot on the Openframe 2 just fine. That said there are a few different EFI boot roms around. It takes 2 minutes to replace the EFI boot rom on your device. Just boot up with Buzz's latest Ubuntu and all of the stuff is there for the command line EFI boot rom replacement.

Practice here relates to having now about 15 of the Openframe 2 devices new in boxes purchased a while ago really cheap IE: $35 USD and they included one DECT phone at the time.

The above noted I have been playing with an Openframe 2 motherboard out of the case and soldering a PATA port and SD card port to the motherboard along with now creating a bootable XPe USB stick using the Seabios boot.

I also tried an MLC and mSata mini SSD on the miniPCIe and it doesn't work. Next looking for smallest SATA mini pcie card with side mounts to try a SATA DOM card. I have historically made up a little USB port on the top camera port and it works fine.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

Can you comment on this:

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... sco#p22865

Is he referring to the Cisco not bootiig from the efi? or the usb? It's not clear to me. Also, what about audio (I understand the audio chip is different).

i only want to run roobarb's SqpOS from a usb stick.

Thanks for any advice.
castalla

Post by castalla »

15 new in boxes???!!! Interested in selling one?
pete

Post by pete »

Is he referring to the Cisco not bootiig from the efi? or the usb?

Rereading the thread it sounds like he got a bad one and tried to fix it. That said I have seen the EFI boot rom get trashed on a Openpeak / Joggler. This is where I just replaced it cuz it wasn't soldered in place. Note this is related to used older O2 Jogglers and Openpeak devices. The Openpeak devices are way nicer than the O2 devices. They have a built in massive metal heat sink over the CPU

It should be fine booting to BuZz's Ubuntu and it will not trash anything booting. There is some DR thing on the Verizon EFI boot where it goes to the internet to recover the 1Gb partition that I have seen.

The tricky piece is that the EFI boot rom is soldered on so you cannot fat finger the updating of the EFI boot bios.

It's not clear to me. Also, what about audio (I understand the audio chip is different).

The audio works fine (even as a different chip) as I have booted in to Buzz's build and XBMC and SQ and XP with it just fine.

15 new in boxes???!!! Interested in selling one?

My experimenting has trashed two so far with some willy nilly soldering. I have to (personal project) figure this out and most likely will be using the soldered on PATA port to SSD and hopefully not trash anymore of the devices.

BTW I also have used one that looks to be like an experiment as most of the chips are not on it and it is marked O2 Joggler. It works fine except it doesn't have zigbee or DECT chips on it.

That said it has been over a month now of tinkering and going baby steps with this. Give me another month or so and I will document what I have done and maybe sell you one modified as I have been able now to boot the SSD in Linux and it works better than way. It is faster and you can purchase 16/32/64 Gb tiny SSD drives and this is way better than booting up off of the USB port. Well too if I get this micro SD boot stuff down then you can boot off a tiny MMC micro SD card and leave the mini pcie combo bluetooth and wireless card in place. Well too the OpenPeak device you have has a battery for the RTC on it and it does work.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hmmm - I know you love hard modifications of the Joggler! I just want one that works out-of-the-box!

The cheapest new I can find is USD 99 plus the horrendous import taxes! One sent as a gift might avoid the duty!
pete

Post by pete »

Don't pay that.

It is a just a brick and really not worth anything these days unless you modify it or boot up from a USB stick.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

I know ... but what's a poor man got to do these days? As Ry Cooder once sang (well, something like that!)
pete

Post by pete »

Searching Ebay found one energy one that starts at $35 plus $10 shipping. It is only worth $35.

Search on DIRECT ENERGY OPEN FRAME 7EZ MODEL OPOFE120 LINUX BASED

This Cisco one.

*FREE SHIPPING - Cisco Home Energy Controller HEC CGH-100-7ZB

is very used and abused and only worth maybe $20.

The used ones selling are trash and well used. I purchased one for around $50 and told the buyer off as he was selling it as new and did file a complaint with Ebay about seller.

The Energy ones were for beta testing with energy companies.

The telco ones were utilized by a variety of telco services and most l likely used and abused.

Find one, ship it to me and I will ship it to you.

The easier ones to modify are the ones labled Openpeak. They are identical to these except the speakers are in the back. They do not have a battery and mini pcie but they do have an SSD PATA port in them.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks.

I can't find the Direct Energy listing.

The other one you mention - the seller says it's brand-new (he guarantees it ??!!). I wonder.
pete

Post by pete »

DIRECT ENERGY OPEN FRAME 7EZ MODEL OPOFE120 LINUX BASED

eBay item number:

*FREE SHIPPING - Cisco Home Energy Controller HEC CGH-100-7ZB

eBay item number:

Looks used to me.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

The Direct Energy looks decent - but only ships to US. US air post to Spain looks like 37 usd.

The Cisco - seller claims the photos are from another used device .... sounds a bit fishy?

Grrrrr!
pete

Post by pete »

What does it cost to ship from US to Spain gift wise? I have never done this before.

I have a friend here who parents retired near Seville. I could ask maybe?

Yeah with the one telco device Openpeak 7 I purchased on Ebay; it was advertised as new and was very used. I was pissed off. I did turn it on and it did boot up. When I first complained to them about it they removed the shipping and credited me some for purchase then told me they were a small business trying to make a living.

Thinking back now with a few of my purchases there was absolutely no mention of Openpeak in the description. Just called a video telephone; very generic and sold as a dysfunctional brick cuz that is what it is.

These guys are making many assumptions selling these apparently as functional when they are really just bricks.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks for your help and advice.

When I add up the shipping/possible import duty it all starts to look a bit expensive for something I;m not sure will work! Eg. the Direct Energy works out at an estimated 90 usd (if the customs don't charge duty!). Plus the hassle for you arranging postage, etc. A bit of a difference from the original 35 dollar start price!

I'd go for the Cisco if I could be certain it'll boot into usb. But all that discussion about 'locked' efi problems makes me very wary.

The current joggler market in the UK seems to be almost exhausted of 'decent' examples of the O2
pete

Post by pete »

Looking at this whole Openpeak endeavor it looks like the Openpeak Energy and Telco devices came first. Then a tweaked O2 was made from the original design. Then an arm based el cheapo telco arm based telco device was made.

I do recall playing with one device that called home for a rebuild via the EFI boot in ROM or in MMC. I do not recall which one it was but it was doing a disaster recovery thing.

Not wanting to play with it I was able to replace the EFI boot rom with one of the O2 boot EFI roms (worked for me).

The smaller similar to O2 sized Openpeak energy / telco kiosks are really the best to experiment / mode with as they have:

1 - 2 USB ports (internal and external) and easy to add a USB 2.0 port
2 - speakers and microphone (speakers face the back like the O2 Joggler).
3 - removable and replaceable EFI boot rom chip (like the O2 Joggler)
4 - big ass metal plate that serves as a heat sink (like the Openpeak 7 big device)
5 - ZIF pata port clip already on the motherboard (easy plug n play connection using a 15cm flipped zif cable and putting the SSD over the USB wireless card).
6 - DECT chip (covered) on the motherboard
7 - Zigbee chip on the motherboard (covered)
8 - easy to open with only four screws on the bottom (none of this trickery used to push on the plastic tabs internally to pull up on the LCD display).
9 - only a 1Gb MMC versus the 2Gb MMC on the Openpeak 7.

Only thing I noticed here was that they do not have radio approval stickers on them. A couple I have make buzzing sounds with the volume turned off or the sound disabled.

What can happen and I have seen this happen with the O2 Jogglers is that the boot EFI rom can get trashed. With the little O2 Jogglers and Openpeak devices you can replace the ROM chip. On the Openpeak7 you will have a real brick unless you unsolder the boot EFI chip and solder a new one or a socket on the motherboard.

Really the only OpenPeak7 I have online 24/7 is booting Linux via the top modded USB port to a logitech web cam running Linux. I couldn't really make the little USB connector on the top nice looking. That one has never been opened.

The original openpeak 7's I opened were hack jobs were as I literally cut the plastic case out to get the the board. That is why I have been playing with an open motherboard. I did just order a 1/64" soldering tip cuz I was using a 1/32" soldering tip (and a hot air machine and the wife's kitchen oven) and a big magnifying glass light.

I have been doing this stuff of playing with the OpenPeak 7's in little chunks. When I get frustrated I just stop. The device is right now held up by little helping hands and the ZIF clip that connects the audio nic stuff to the motherboards keeps coming out on its own. I have run it for probably an hour with no heat sink on the CPU.
- Pete

Auto mater