Wiping a Joggler before re sale

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Wiping a Joggler before re sale

Post by hawsey »

Re posted courtesy of Steve's Home Lab

https://steveshomelab.wordpress.com/201 ... 2-joggler/

I’ve had a lot of fun with my Joggler, but it was time time to move on so I decided to sell it. I followed standard procedure and did a factory reset to clear all my personal data, but just to be sure I thought I’d take a quick look at the internal storage to make sure there was no obvious personal data left.

I booted into Ubuntu from a USB flash drive, and proceeded to take an image of the internal storage using the dd tool:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=./joggler_internal_storage.img

I then opened this image file on my laptop using wxHexEditor. The first thing I noticed right at the top of the file was information on my home wireless network – the essid and WPA key! Doing a search for the text ‘steve’ also took me straight to my email address, phone number, and much more besides. ‘Factory reset’, I don’t think!

Rather than try to surgically remove my personal data, I thought the best approach would be to nuke the internal Joggler storage:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0

Wiping the internal storage, though, does mean that the Joggler will no longer boot. Luckily, re-flashing the OpenPeak software is dead easy.

A bit of a faff, but I’m happy that I have been able to pass the device on in relative confidence rather than take a hammer to
Happy Joggling
pete

Re: Wiping a Joggler before re sale

Post by pete »

Am I reading right here Gary?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
gegs

Post by gegs »

pete wrote:Am I reading right here Gary?
:o - I think hawsey has pasted a quote from another person's site giving clean wipe instructions. I don't think he's leaving us just yet.
pete

Post by pete »

Good to know that Graham.

Starting here to tinker with the Openframe 2 devices with now bits and pieces of three of them all over my workbench. I like that the Openframe 2 device has the speakers in the front.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

You are right , copy and paste job
Ha ha , no I'm not going anywhere :-)
I just thought maybe some people hold on to stuff just in case any of their personal data gets scammed , maybe this would help people to re sell or pass on their Jogglers if that was the case ,
Happy Joggling