xp almost booting on joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
danfoshizzle

xp almost booting on joggler

Post by danfoshizzle »

been reading the hi pda forum and a guy called eric huang almost has the joggler booting xp

ntldr is working he is just clearing up some driver issues that are atopping windows booting

source: http://hi.baidu.com/eric_huang_zh/blog/ ... 2ed4b.html
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Re: xp almost booting on joggler

Post by pete »

I have the configuration to set up Vbox; read though its really slow; so never attempted to run it. Played with a stripped down W7 starter and it ran well on the Asus netbook 900A.

It's very difficult to read even with translation what is happening. It would be great to document a step by step.

I'm having problems with the multiboot EFI stuff; think its a keyboard thing.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

I dont actually know how well the joggler will handle windows, but once ntldr and drivers for touchscreen are being worked on i think a small distro of windows 7 would be ace! i have always kept a back up copy of win7pe on a stick and it can run on almost anything,
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Windows 7 Mobile would be even better!
pete

Post by pete »

I used to be an avid user of XDA dot com many many years ago. Most of the HTC Mobile windows custom distro's were basically stripped down original base hardware OS distributions. That said I do remember bricking my HTC phones a few times and bringing them back to life relatively quick. Not sure how easy it would be with the Joggler; I haven't seen (that's me - old) and easy way to resuscitate a bricked Joggler.

I'm for documenting an easy step by step; I guess initially some multiboot EFI thing would be a starting point; then as dan has mentioned moving towards a ntldr / touchscreen base.

I was able to get something going with the sheeva plug / mimo usb monitor. Very basic and it worked pretty well; I had issues with the touchscreen drivers; where as I could get it to work; but calibration was difficult. But this was an Arm setup; which is very different from the Intel Atom based setup. It should be easier as there's more out there relating to Intel than the Arm CPU stuff.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeah the joggler having an x86 atom CPU is a big bonus, and i have also read elsewhere that windows 7 detects the jogglers touchscreen as an human interface device so maybe the touchscreen issue isn't such a big problem after all lol
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

So Dan; first thing is I want to "adjust" my efi boot such that I can boot to various OS's; I hit the ESC key with the initial boot as descibed but still do not to a prompt. Is there a tried and true keyboard or is it just a timing thing? I have only one Joggler around; so I want to go a bit slow. With the sheeva I could either JTAG it or do a virtual console in the UBOOT piece such that I could see the booting process.

I've not seen an issue from heat leaving my Joggler on 24/7 but have noticed that the bottom of the LCD screen is much warmer than the top with the metal bracket piece. It doesn't seem to affect performance though at this time.
- On booting, press several times "ESC" to stop autoboot. Now enter "fs0:boot" blindly and you should see refit coming up.

- Choose the icon "EFI shell", press Enter, then ESC.

- Now type:
bcfg boot add 01 fs0:\efi\refit\refit.efi "Refit"

This way, Refit is added to the internal (nvram) bootloader list. That's needed to have a working keyboard.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

really wish i could help but way past my knowledge base lol only started messing with the joggler a few months ago before this i had never experienced an efi booting process sorry i couldn't help
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

I'll post what I find out. I am determined to get this piece of the puzzle to work.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi...
That's very good that someones tried to boot windows on joggler system... I also played lot with this....
In general when it will be booted one thing that will not work is Audio...I think idea with XOM should work ... I also tried but I didn't have any experience in debugging this kind of thing...So my progress stoped very quickly...
guidows

Post by guidows »

He already did!!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

holy crap as google translate says must thank landlord lol
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Yes very nice!

Just downloaded files per instructions. I then created a two partition USB stick. Not totally sure on the start and boot nsh files; but I do have it booting and looking at the second partition.

Found the trick with the USB Keyboard...you have to keep hitting the return key when its first booting. That's probably why I couldn't use the EFI application before.
Last edited by pete on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

let me know how you get on pete am also trying myself!!
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

OK for the boot.nsh mine reads as follows:
fs1:
xom_ntldr
For the startup.nsh I am not sure but guessing that it should read as follows:
fs2:boot
Is that the same thing you are doing?

Ist partition is a 200Mb partition (probably way to big) with the following files:
VGA.ROM
xom_mbr.efi
xom_ntldr.efi
NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
boot.nsh
startup.nsh
2nd partion is rest of USB dongle with an XP image on it and...using Diskgenius...checking disk partition and it was already there with just an NTFS format.

Disk parameters formatted to:
Number of heads = 255
sectors = 63
sector size = 512

make it an NTFS partition

Use bootsect.exe /52 to write the boot sector (never used this before)
- Pete

Auto mater
dps5pt

Post by dps5pt »

Is this really a possibility? - this would be the GMA500 holy grail for Joggler!
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

yeh really possible
more to come!!

pete

Post by pete »

Dan,

I can watch it boot the XP BIOS just fine; just errors out that it can't find a boot drive. Have you been able to boot into XP yet?
- Pete

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

no, not yet but i shall persevere lol
more to come!!

danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

ImageImage
more to come!!