Time has lost 8 minutes

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
JonB

Time has lost 8 minutes

Post by JonB »

Hi

Both my Jogglers seem to be running 8 minutes late. So when it is 13:00 in real time, the joggler is displaying a time of 12:52.

I expect this is caused by the internet time service it is using. Am I the only one? I'm using the latest build one one and it does the same thing.

Cheers
JonB
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: Time has lost 8 minutes

Post by BuZz »

what operating system ?
JonB

Post by JonB »

Linux, O2 build with Tango interface. Basically as it came from O2 but with updates from birdslikewires.com.

One is on the latest build (30300), the other is on the build prior to that.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Joggler own system clocks are not very reliable and do drift a lot.

If you are technically minded it should be possible to update the Jogglers system clock from a time server intermittently. This would normally be done with the NTP service or could be manually initiated with the NTPUpdate command.

Gut feeling suggests that the O2 joggler's, if networked, will keep their times synchronised with a network time server. Maybe with O2s abandonment this is no longer happening. It may just be a matter of updating the time servers that your OS uses. You may be better off using PNP ?

Fraid I have no experience with the vanilla OS, PNP or SqPOS. I only use the 'buntus from BuZz.
pete

Post by pete »

You can just run a cron job doing an NTP time sync ever hour or so.

Here recently updated a computer (non Joggler) with XUbuntu 15.XX and noticed that the panel time was always exactly 4 hours different than the computer time. I ended up removing the OS included panel time and replacing it with Orange and it now is working fine.

Here do not utilize the internet for time (now since the early 2000's) and have a GPS with PPS attached to my PFSense firewall (also point DNS to the firewall).
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater