Dead?? Joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Whistlebob

Dead?? Joggler

Post by Whistlebob »

Hi folks,
I have been given a Joggler (I'd never heard of them before!) However it seems to be dead. When turned on a patchy looking screen appears with the O2 logo, after about ten minutes the screen seems to recover and goes an all over colour, still blank and still with the O2 logo. I have left it powered up for at least 30 mins. but absolutely nothing happens. Having read some of your forums I downloaded the reflash program on to a USB stick, switched off the Joggler, inserted the USB stick and powered up again - still nothing! Just a blank screen with the O2 logo. The unit does get quite warm, as does the USB stick. Can one of you Techno wizards suggest a way of reviving this gadget, or do you think it's a gonna?
Thanks in anticipation!
Malc.
karlek

Re: Dead?? Joggler

Post by karlek »

Try starting it with ubuntu on USB-Stick. There are several Versions in the Net. Either of them should Do. Then you can see if it works at least.

Edit: maybe you only oversaw to put an image in that reflash stick?
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Karlek,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will have a search for a download of Ubuntu and give it a try. I am no expert so I'm afraid I didn't understand your comment about the reflash stick. Will keep you posted!

Thanks,
Malc.
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Hi Karlek,
Downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.2 (32 bit version) from the web, copied to USB stick, inserted USB stick into Joggler and powered up but exactly the same result as previously.

Malc.
karlek

Post by karlek »

Hi Whistlebob,
I'm unfortunately a newbie regarding the Joggler. All I Know is that I made those mistakes mentioned above when checking two Jogglers I got as kind of a giveaway whilst buying two others working.
My remark about the reflashing meant that I had to put an OS in a special folder in that Stick. I followed thereby roobarbs instrucion on birdslikewires.uk. Maybe youll give it another try with those?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Whistlebob wrote:Hi Karlek,
Downloaded Ubuntu 14.04.2 (32 bit version) from the web, copied to USB stick, inserted USB stick into Joggler and powered up but exactly the same result as previously.

Malc.
You need to use one of BuZz's distros from this site that is optimized for the Joggler. Download Ubuntu/Xubuntu or Linux Mint from the links on this page http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64

The file will be zipped in .gz format. Unzip it using 7 zip until you have a .img file.

Format your USB stick using the HP USB Disk Format Tool - http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-St ... 74082.html

Use Win32diskimager http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/ to burn the img file to your formatted USB disk.

Insert stick into a Joggler with no power. Plug in the power lead and wait for the system to boot up.

Good luck!
Last edited by gegs on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Thanks Karlek. GEGS, Thanks for your input, I'll try that lot tomorrow.

Malc.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Just shout out if you need one step at a time instructions :-)
The hazy screen is just normal and goes away after the Joggler boots up fully :-)
I started out just like you ( so did most on here ) but you will soon pick it up .
What we are explaining here is booting an operating system straight off a usb stick and the Joggler will load it up , there are many different ones to choose from on here , Ubuntu , Mint , Android ( no video ) , Squeezeplay Os ( for music mainly ) even Windows XP to name a few .
Once you try what Geggs has suggested if you want to you could attempt to 're flash the Jogglers internal software which is what you were trying to do initially and once done this boots off the internal memory , but it's much more limited in what it can do .
Good luck :-)
Happy Joggling
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Hi Hawsey,
Many thanks for the overview and offer of help. As you may have guessed, I am certainly in need of it! I hope to get back to the Joggler tomorrow, I'll keep you posted.
Thanks again,
Malc.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I'm always reluctant to offer to burn a USB stick for new users, because you learn so much by following the instructions and doing it yourself. However, I also realise that some newbies are so frustrated in attempting all this stuff that they give up and sell their Jogglers.

If you get really stuck I could burn your stick for you, but I strongly suggest trying the step-by-step approach. It's not that difficult if you take it slowly and I guarantee you will learn lots of useful things in the process.

We are a helpful bunch in this forum, we embrace newbies and don't 'flame' them. Don't be hesitant to ask anything; the only stupid questions are those you need answers to but don't ask.
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Have followed your instructions and the Joggler has now booted up from the USB stick. I presently have a blue screen with a central "Triangular dog" image. (Doesn't seem to be a way of uploading pictures here)! I have also switched off and rebooted from the USB for a second time OK. The screen has icons for HOME, FILE SYSTEM, TOUCHSCREEN CALIBRATION, INSTALL SQUEEZEPLAY and RUBBISH. The icons go blue when touched but nothing more happens. So, thanks to your help I now know that the Joggler is not a gonna. Can you suggest my next move?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great , knew you would get there ...
It depends what you want to do with your Joggler .
It sounds like you have booted in to Xubuntu which will have xbmc on it , all sorts of music / tv goodies on there ,
You can plug a usb hub , a keyboard and mouse and a memory stick with music on if you like .
Happy Joggling
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Yes I have booted into Xubuntu, what is an "xbmc"? Now, just when I thought I was winning, I pressed and held one of the icons and they have all disappeared, no amount of screen tapping or swiping seems to help. When the icons are present they don't seem to do anything. (I have not yet touched the INSTALL SQUEEZEPLAY icon as I didnt want to load anything unneccesary). I thought I would probably just use the Joggler to surf the web? However, the Joggler will still not boot up without the USB stick so that would be a start. Can one of you techies explain how to do that? - VERY SIMPLY PLEASE!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

What you are doing at the minute is booting up an operating system from a usb stick , the internal operating system on yours is broken so if you want to fix that , you were along the right lines at the start :-)

Go here

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/openframe-flash
If you get stuck , get back to us , speak later .......
Happy Joggling
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Thanks again, will hopefully get my brain into gear again tomorrow.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Whistlebob wrote:However, the Joggler will still not boot up without the USB stick so that would be a start. Can one of you techies explain how to do that? - VERY SIMPLY PLEASE!
Most of the operating systems mentioned on the forum boot and operate FROM the USB stick. The internal memory is pretty small - you get much more space on a cheap USB stick. Another advantage of running from USB stick is that you can run different operating systems at different times. If you have a couple of spare sticks lying around, you can try different operating systems on each and see which you prefer.

Because the Joggler only has one external USB port, if you're going to run linux you should get a USB hub; this will allow you to plug in your USB stick, a mouse and a keyboard. Using touch control on a linux distro can be a bit frustrating at times.

If you want a system for general web surfing that is touch-friendly, running Android is an option. The only proviso is that there isn't an accelerated video driver in Android for the Joggler so you can't watch YouTube or iPlayer on it. If you use YouTube to set up music playlists though, that would be OK - the audio works fine, it's just the video that is choppy and unwatchable.

If you want smooth video playback on the Joggler, one of the linux distros is the way to go.
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

At the moment I am still playing at trying to bring the Joggler back to life. As I get more into it all your info will make more sense to me and be very helpful. I have a few USB sticks around, but If I format them and write images to them can I reuse them as normal memory sticks again? Once again, thanks for all the help.
gegs

Post by gegs »

You can reformat them again but it's not as simple as you might think. When you write the images to the USB stick, you are writing a linux filesystem to it. Most of the stick will be in a format that Windows can't read. You would need to use Windows Disk Manager to delete the partitions and reformat it again.

It's probably best to sacrifice a couple of sticks to play around with.

I told you you would learn things once you started dabbling ;)
Whistlebob

Post by Whistlebob »

Just to update - I have now written the extracted .img file to 2 different formatted USB sticks, then copied both the .img.gz and .img.gz.md5 into the "Flashing" folder of the rfl-boot. I have tried writing the images both with and without the "MD5 hash" ticked (Win32 Disc Imager), however the result is the same: The Joggler starts up by scrolling rows & rows of text then comes to rest on the screen with the blue text window. Below this is the message:"NO VALID FIRMWARE IMAGE FOUND" followed by instructions for copying the .img.gz files (as above). After 60 secs. the joggler shuts down. It will reboot without the USB inserted but with the same results as described above. One thing I have noticed is that the very first text screen to appear has yellow text which mentions "Linux bz image". Is it possible that the firmware should be a .bz file, or am I talking through my a...e as usual? Well thats fried my brain so I'm going into the shed where I can find stuff you can actually feel and get a spanner on!

Thanks again all.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Whistlebob wrote:"NO VALID FIRMWARE IMAGE FOUND"
Sounds to me like the filenames are getting altered somewhere along the line. Check that you're definitely copying a .img.gz and .img.gz.md5 and that your browser isn't automatically decompressing the .gz into a plain .img file, or adding .txt to the end of the .img.gz.md5.

The reflash system is deliberately cautious about these things and if it's not perfect, it won't attempt a flash.

Apologies if this has already been suggested - I've just dived right in here without reading the rest of the thread.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)