Ethernet interface "bouncing"

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
en1gm4

Ethernet interface "bouncing"

Post by en1gm4 »

Recently my Joggler's wired ethernet seems to have decided to play up.
I noticed that it had trouble connecting and getting an ip address and then saw that the LED on my switch as well as the red LED in the joggler where switching of and on every couple of seconds.

I tried it in 3 different switches with the same outcome.

I was booting SQPOS3 off the SD so decided to test and see if an older version still on the internal file system would behave the same way.
I rebooted to that and the ethernet was stable... so i assumed that my SD card must have been corrupted in some way.... I reflashed the whole joggler and wrote over the internal system with a fresh install of SQPOS to get away from the SD.... but sadly its doing exactly the same thing from a clean install now.... no wired connectivity.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this behaviour? I would have assumed hardware failure had I not successfully tried it with the older software. (shame I wiped that out with the reflash!... or maybe it is a hardware failure and it was jsut coincidence it worked on that reboot.

thanks
pete

Re: Ethernet interface "bouncing"

Post by pete »

I have not seen this with my Ubuntu OS Gb connected Jogglers (OP1's) nor the XPe Jogglers using the Gb Realtek interface.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
en1gm4

Post by en1gm4 »

thank Pete

furher strangeness.... I moved the joggler to another known good switch port with no luck, tried with a new power supply - no effect
I booted it with the USB thumb drive from another joggler in the house that is working fine and found that it would not connect on either wired on wireless connections despite checking and rechecking wireless settings etc

However.. when I tried booting it up using Xubuntu the wireless interface works fine (does it use a different driver from SQPOS ?)
In fact Squeezeplay on Xubuntu is behaving at the moment (but seems to lack features found in Roobarbs excellent version)
I've not yet got the wired interface to work though

(also opened up the case to check that the internal wifi card was well seated... pulled it and pushed it back in to make sure but it has had no effect)

maybe I just have a Joggler on it's way out?! (hope not)
pete

Post by pete »

I have one OPI (OpenPeak like Joggler) that will occasionally will do a weird reset / freeze. It does start to beacon on the connected network switch and takes everything else down. I have watched it and it looks like it is happening with a quickie power on and off thing. I have replaced the power supply to it and it still does it. Me thinks that there is an inherent hardware issue with it. Way back when I was modding the Jogglers did go to using an Asix USB to NIC device. I have a few of these still running today and the work fine.

Here I have mostly switched to using Openpeak rather than Jogglers. PM me if you want a spare Joggler to play with; I have a few (> 10) that I do not use anymore.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Had anything changed recently, or had the Joggler been working fine with SQPOS and then all of a sudden started acting strangely? Any upgrades or firmware updates to your router?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
en1gm4

Post by en1gm4 »

sorry... for some reason I am not getting notifications from the forum... must check settings

@pete
thanks... will pm you re jogglers
the beaconing definitely sounds similar, although in my case nothing is being taken down. the switch ports jsut continue to flash periodically (the connection LED, not the traffic on)
I'd not thought about using a usb ethernet adapter... but i have one (from my sons wii ;) that worsk fine with a chromebook so will give it a go

@roobarb!
I had not changed anything when the problems began although it is hard to recall the entire sequence of events. I think i was having some issues with the joggler, noticed the switch port flashing, tried it on another switch (same thing) and eventually decided to update the joggler to the latest to see what was happening.
nothing I did seemed to make a difference... i tried reflashing internal, running from usb, different ports, cables.... maybe my ethernet port has bitten the dust
At the moment I've swapped my jogglers so one with a working Ethernet is wired in properly and the one that has problems is back on wifi
However, I did notice that wifi performance seemed more stable running xubuntu vs sqpos3.... perhaps there was some other factor I missed and I did not do any "scientific" testing... but is it possible they use different settings or drivers?
may try xubuntu one more time to see if I can get any life from the ethernet port...
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Just a few thoughts :

* is the problem with the network cable ? Try a different one; what's the result ?
* is there a dry/damaged joint inside of the Joggler on it's network socket ? You will probably need good eyes and a bright light for this.
* get a usb to ethernet dongle and try that on the problematic joggler - do you still get same problems ?

I wonder if there is some diagnostic tool for the network hardware in the Joggler - maybe a package that can be installed in ubuntu ? I'd be interested to know this. Not really had the need, so haven't looked.
en1gm4

Post by en1gm4 »

it's def not the cable.. tried new cable, and another joggler on the cable :)

its entirely possible that there is a bad joint internally but its not something i want to take apart and mess with (sadly having neither time nor the requisite experience/tools)

I have a spare AX88772 based usb to ethernet dongle to play with though.
Do I need to install a driver? ...and how might it work with squeezeplayos? (there being only one "wired" option in the network settings)