Boot Logos and EFI Types

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Boot Logos and EFI Types

Post by roobarb! »

Just wondering - those folk here that have OpenFrame 2 devices; could you let me know what boot logo you get when powering on? I'm looking for an EFI image with the OpenPeak logo, but specifically for the OpenFrame 2 (speakers on the front).

I'm also just interested to know what different systems are out there. In fact, pile in with OpenFrame 1 / Joggler or OpenFrame 2 info!

So far I've seen OpenPeak, O2 (obviously!), Telio, Swisscom, Cisco... any others out there? :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Re: Boot Logos and EFI Types

Post by pete »

Here saved one custom Electric Company utility logo, Avaya, et al. I do not recall seeing the OpenPeak logo on these.

But the eye is slower than the hand and or the hand is not slower than the eye or maybe not paying attention (age thing)?
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

Telio here.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:Here saved one custom Electric Company utility logo, Avaya, et al. I do not recall seeing the OpenPeak logo on these.
I had one with the OpenPeak logo once, but lost it in a botched update that nearly cost me the device. Actually, the update went perfectly... that was the problem; Telio trying to lock it down!

Is 'Electric Company' an actual company, or are you just referring to some general electricity distributor? :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I have OpenPeak logo on OF2.
pete

Post by pete »

One was / is (have to find it) one electrical utility company from the US West coast and the other was from the US Midwest. I did save them.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

-=xXx=- wrote:I have OpenPeak logo on OF2.
Ooh, do you? Could you do me a huge favour and take a copy of it?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:One was / is (have to find it) one electrical utility company from the US West coast and the other was from the US Midwest. I did save them.
Awesome - if you manage to find them at some point, would you mind popping them online somewhere for me to grab? Just building a collection and popping them on my website for people to use.
pete

Post by pete »

Geez...labeled them only as OP Roms. I do have the devices with the original boot ROMs. Just have look.

There is an EFI rom reader posted here somewhere such that you can look at the attached.
Attachments
op2.rom.zip
(567.49 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
op1.rom.zip
(567.33 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:Geez...labeled them only as OP Roms. I do have the devices with the original boot ROMs. Just have look.
Just flashed the OP2 one to an OpenFrame 2 and it's an OpenPeak logo one! However, it's one of those EFI ROMs that sets the backlight level to low, so the logo is barely visible.

If I had the slightest idea what I was doing I might try to tweak that... but not trying it on an OF2. :)

Actually, thinking about it I never checked with you whether OP1 was for the Joggler / OpenFrame 1 and the OP2 one for OpenFrame 2. That was very foolish of me - I could have been up the proverbial creek there!
pete

Post by pete »

I was in a rush and gave the OP roms very generic names and stuck them on a little USB stick labeled ROMs.

I did mix the Joggler O2, Openpeak little and Openpeak big device ROMs all on one USB stick labled ROMs. Never did get a Telio device here though.

The Verizon device did have a self healing go out to the internet and repair me type of boot EFI partition which would update itself when calling home.

Thinking it was still working when I first played. None the less it still would let me boot from a USB stick.

Personally here none of them interchanged caused me any grief here. I mean I could go back and forth and in between different ROMs with no issues.

It has been so long that I forgot the logic that I used to name them.

That said I do have the original OP devices here such that I can power them up and look at the boot logos. They are stacked in their original boxes in basement work area.

I will look this week at them and will do this properly labeling them with vendor logo.

One Forum user found a reference to the PATA-ZIF port on the Avaya ROM. I tried to see if I could boot via ZIF and it wouldn't work for me.

Just that part functioning would be nice to have. Thinking too you can rewrite the boot EFI on the built in chip to boot from the ZIF drive if you want.
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

I have lot of work now, When I'll have a chance I'll backup the partition...
I ordered Verizon Phone Hub as I understood it's same openframe if it supports usb boot I'll try to grab that firmware also...
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Received Verizon Phone Hub it's not a joggler strange device with ARM processor not really friendly without Veriason subscription... Use some sort of XML Gui (busybox...)
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Not sure if this would be of any help for analysing Joggler(esque) EFI firmware :

https://github.com/LongSoft/UEFITool

Came across this from a security list email, where the guy is promoting his firmware security blog. There appears to be some interesting articles :

http://firmwaresecurity.com/2015/05/25/ ... -uefitool/
http://firmwaresecurity.com/2015/05/21/ ... s_diff-py/
http://firmwaresecurity.com/2015/05/09/ ... solutions/
http://firmwaresecurity.com/2015/05/09/ ... -uefi-2-5/
http://firmwaresecurity.com/2015/04/29/ ... ootloader/
pete

Post by pete »

Actually, thinking about it I never checked with you whether OP1 was for the Joggler / OpenFrame 1 and the OP2 one for OpenFrame 2. That was very foolish of me - I could have been up the proverbial creek there!
Thinking now here got too willy nilly and swap around boot EFI bios stuff.

Do you have the Ayaya Boot EFI, Verizon Boot EFI, Commonwealth Edison ones?

These are all mostly from the OpenPeak 1's I think?

Some of the ones here are labeled and others are not. I will just zip them up.

I am currently using it cuz there is code in there to boot from the PATA port first. Doesn't work though.
- Pete

Auto mater