Diagnosing UPnP problems

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
tjh

Diagnosing UPnP problems

Post by tjh »

Hi,

I posted yesterday about problems with a newly-acquired Joggler accessing the Asset UPnP server, and with BBC iPlayer.

I've now updated to PnP III, which seems, more or less, to have sorted out the iPlayer issues, though there have been a couple of spontaneous reboots on quitting iPlayer - slightly unnerving :( Anyway, liveable with for now.

No such luck with Asset. I have LMS and Asset both installed on a Mac mini. While LMS is working nicely with SqueezePlay, I can't get anything out of Asset with 'Play Shared Media'. The library all appears as it should, but when I select a track, it's highlighted for a moment, then the pause button highlights, then the next track, and so on to the end of the listing. No sound at all.

There's nothing in Asset's error log, so I'm assuming at the moment that the problem is with the Joggler. I'm guessing I can ssh into it and look at logs, but what and where, please ?!
JimbobVFR400

Re: Diagnosing UPnP problems

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

What type of files are you trying to play? Music I presume but which format?
tjh

Re: Diagnosing UPnP problems

Post by tjh »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:What type of files are you trying to play? Music I presume but which format?
Inevitably, 20 minutes after posting, I *think* I've sorted it. Most of the music library is in ALAC format, which our Roberts internet radio doesn't like. Asset can do on-the-fly transcoding, and I'd set it to convert .m4a -> LPCM, to keep the Roberts happy. That seems to be what the Joggler choked on. I changed it to convert .m4a to WAV, and so far, all fine. (Actually I think there's a way of telling Asset to transcode differently according to destination, but that can wait :) )

Thanks anyway!