Wrong Power supply bricks device?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
wcndave

Wrong Power supply bricks device?

Post by wcndave »

I currently have a mess of cables and two power supplies. I accidentally plugged in my laptop supply which has same adaptor.

Now the device won't start with correct supply.

Think it's bricked?
roobarb!

Re: Wrong Power supply bricks device?

Post by roobarb! »

Fuse will have gone. You'll need to bridge or replace the teeny fuse on the board, then you'll be back in action. Pete is the king of knowing which part this is!

Note; if you bridge it and plug in the wrong adapter again, it'll probably be toast for good. If you do that, offer parts for spares in the Marketplace! ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah its tiny. Easiest way to tell is to look by the main 5VDC inputs for something that looks like an insect that got toasted and is laying on the board. Use a magnifying glass as I saw scorch marks on mine.

Here is a picture of it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Not speaking from experience, but if you can bridge the fuse pads, I guess by soldering on a small length wire strand between the two solder pads for the SMD (Surface Mount Device) fuse, then it should also be possible to solder two wire strands that can be connected to a discrete component size (i.e. physically bigger) fuse. Then if you do the same thing again, it would be far easier to replace the fuse.

Alternatively, you could bridge the solder pads and then change the power socket to something completely different and unique, and equally change the plug on the Joggler PSU (Power Supply Unit) to the plug matching the socket. And in doing this, there will hopefully only be one plug that fits the Joggler's socket.

I guess if you know what needs to be done and you could also test the fuse with a multi meter to confirm that it has indeed blown, you could take the Joggler to a local, competent, phone shop and they may be able to do the work. Alternatively, if you have a local hacker space, Raspberry PI club or even an Amateur Radio club, there may well be people there who have worked with SMD components, have the right equipment, and be willing to do the job for you maybe for free or for very little.

HTH
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Thanks guys. I have an un-networked squeeze joggler in my workshop. Took it to my house for monthly music update, went back and just happened to have laptop in workshop, and plugged in the wrong one from the rats nest of wires...

Now that the sockets in workshop are powered and the house is about to be networked, should not happen again!

Raspberry pi groups? I wish! People here think I am a mental fanatic for playing with arduino, building mame arcade cabinets and stuff like the squeeze on joggler... no one else is into this.

I will have a look at soldering, first challenge will be to get the back off!

You mentioned a picture, but I didn't see any attached.

Thanks again!

Dave
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Dismantling it is really easy.

You need to peel off the model/serial number sticker at the bottom to expose 4 screws, the shiny black surround and screen can then be gently prised off, either with a proper plastic opening tool or a credit card. Once I'd found those screws the rest was all obvious.
pete

Post by pete »

Here is a picture of my test Openframe board. It is working fine.

Here I changed the diode rather than the fuse.

When I first did this my soldering skills were piss poor. That said I have only had to do this once so far. I would recommend the proper tools (which today I have).

This is though like using the oven to heat up and melt a PC board which here was done only once and very low on the WAF.

It is not difficult. I use a magnifying glass today with tiny stuff and it works well. You can too just by pass the fuse and put a little wire in place (but I wouldn't recommend it).

The fuses/diodes were purchased in a bulk pack for around $1 USD with free shipping.
OF2-FUSE-DIODE.jpg
The fuse is on the upper left and note that the diode is marked C(athode) and A(node). It is smaller than the fuse.

Apologies as I didn't notice until I just took a picture of it.

Yeah and I also purchased little SMD diodes along with the fuses for other stuff. SO have a close look to see if its a fuse or a diode that burned out.

The scorch marks near the current diode picture were already there. I did make the marks worst though.

The above noted it could be either the fuse or the diode. I have seen both issues with the Joggler.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Thanks, will take a look at weekend.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Nice pics Pete !

The fuse looks a lot bigger then the diode, so it should be easier to replace or even go for the fuse off the board solution.

I haven't done this sort of thing before, but if you can find on old piece of SMD circuit board you could practice component removal and addition on that. That way you'd be able to get your technique right before trying on your joggler. I think that without a temperature controlled soldering iron (or maybe even with one). The trick is knowing just how long you can apply the heat for to get the solder molten enough to do what you want to do.

When I use to work with discrete components, having all the areas that are to be soldered, very clean was very important. I use to use very fine emery paper to clean the crud off the components legs and off the PCB or track board. This made the process more involved, but paid big dividends as I like to get good solid and nice looking solders. Soldering, in my mind, is a bit of an art too, and when you do a good job, it is nice to appreciate afterwards.

If I was going to do it, I think as a minimum you would need a good pair of needle nose tweezers and a low power soldering iron with a very fine tip.

If you need something to soak up the solder (braid) or a de-solder pump, I don't know. That's why I think it is best to try on something that your not bothered about to get you technique right and see if you can do what you want to do and stand some chance of it being a success.

I'm not sure where you are - presume in the UK - but there are quite a lot of Amateur Radio clubs, but they may not advertise that much. If you speak to a member before visiting, I think you will get a feeling of whether they can help you or not. If you'd like to go this route, let me know where you are roughly and I could have a look to see if there are any clubs nearby.

HTH

PS be nice to know what you do with the MAME cabinets. I'd really like to recreate some of the games I played many years ago.
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Juggler!

Its been a few years now here of playing with the sandbox automated house. I did one time though drop my digital camera on the cement floor while taking pictures of my electrical stuff relating to a DIY. The camera did not survive the fall and hit to the cement. I did use that as an excuse to purchase a newer one with more megapixel resolution (into photography and still keep and use an analog Nikon / Canon camera guessing the settings with my own eyes).

After the above endeavor did set up my old electronic work bench which had the gigantic circular florescent lamp and soldering work station.

I have and have not used it over the last couple of years playing with the Jogglers.

Its really mostly just paying attention to detail as HTH mentions above.

The art / skills relating to the soldering electronics has changed much with those little SMD (surface mounted devices).

Its really the same stuff; just a bit smaller these days.

Yup here was into amateur radio and electronic kit building in the 1960's. Geez the old Knight Kit 50 watt code only transmitter was very primitive next to my purchased and used Hammerlund HQ-150 radio. Remembering always to let it run to operating temperature, syncing the crystal time sync to the radio at the opportune time. Very first radio though was a Hallicrafters shortwave radio. I couldn't find any pictures of it online though.

Today the function is still available; but the physical pieces don't work as well. Mostly cuz my parts are getting older and move slower these days.
- Pete

Auto mater
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Well, sorry guys, it's been 2 years since this thread was in action. I had 4 jogglers and just one was blown up, so I carried on with the others.

In the meantime I built a whole house, including racks and 2 cat7 ethernet in every room, so been pretty busy, and I guess, having fun doing it. (Apart from paying for it).

I have now, finally, taken my joggler apart to have a look at the fuse, and it seems rather different than the picture in the thread.

Here is a photo.

ImageIMG_8812 by DKMoore, on Flickr

BTW: happy to talk about my MAME cabinet, was quite a journey, computers, LEDS, circuits, controls, electronics, woodworking, design, many different disciplines, to get about 7000 olde games (for test purposes only you understand).

forums like arcade controls can do more justice to the hobby than I ever can!

Here's mine:

Image20130919_99 percent complete by DKMoore, on Flickr
pete

Post by pete »

Yes welcome back to the Joggler forum.

Note the picture I posted above is of the underside of the belly of the Joggler. You can just check continuity of the fuse with a VOM if you want. I suggest you replace the fuse if you do not see any continuity. That said thinking I did a bad thing on one Joggler just doing a solder bridge and not installing a fuse on one of the ones I had. Just have to remember never to plug in something other than the 5VDC.

In the meantime I built a whole house, including racks and 2 cat7 ethernet in every room, so been pretty busy, and I guess, having fun doing it. (Apart from paying for it).

It is much less expensive doing it yourself. Cable and termination are reasonably priced. Having fun while learning this stuff is the best way.

Very nice pictures of your arcade game. Very nice money makers in the 1980's.
- Pete

Auto mater
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I'm still not getting it, the other side also looks very different to your photo from what I can see. Unless I am looking totally in the wrong place!

There's a few capacitors near the board power connection, but no obvious fuses.
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

Any thoughts? Otherwise I'll have to bin this one and get another one.

(that might shock someone into an answer :D )
pete

Post by pete »

The fuse is connected to the red power input wire and a direct trace on the other side of the red wire. It is the same for the O2 Joggler, Openframe 1 and 2.

Best to check voltage with a VOM.
- Pete

Auto mater
wcndave

Post by wcndave »

I am just wondering why my circuit board looks so different to yours... I need to melt all the plastic off the power leads first where they're connected, to see what's underneath.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That does look quite different from the one Pete posted , if you look at the numbering say C376 as a reference , will that help locate it ? I did this to one of mine and gave up in the end , bought a broken one with a good screen .
I think the idea is if you test either side of the fuse , you should see a loop , if not it's blown and a blob of solder bridging the two points would repair but then obviously no fuse for the next mishap :-( .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Yes; here my blown fuse ones did melt the hot melt glue a bit. Purchased a bunch of those little SMD style fuses but did cheat on one of them removing the fuse carcass in pieces and then just soldering a bridge as hawsey mentions above. It is not recommended unless you want your Joggler thrill right away BUT remembering whatcha did to the board. Never marked the Joggler and I do not know which one it is today; but they are all ticking just fine.

Here too I purchased these burned up ones non functioning units for a song and a dance ($5 USD). I have personally not over volt aged my Jogglers using my POE set up and spare box o Joggler power supllies.

It is just 5VDC and 5VDC on the far side of the SMD fuse.
- Pete

Auto mater