LMS fails to scan added files @NAS

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Error

LMS fails to scan added files @NAS

Post by Error »

Running SqpOs v1.09, all the music is on a share on the NAS.
Today I added a lot of music to the NAS but it doesn't complete the scan process. It get's stuck at a file and I see this line in the scanner-log:

Code: Select all

[14-09-21 11:48:22.3195] Slim::Schema::Storage::throw_exception (122) Error: DBI Connection failed: DBI connect('dbname=/library.db','slimserver',...) failed: unable to open database file at /usr/share/squeezeboxserver/CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 999
How can I fix this? Does it have anything to do with spaces, underscores,apostrophes etc?

edit: Just to be sure I rebooted the Joggler (via menu, not via poweroff), rebooted the NAS and rebooted my laptop. Still I get the same story, it hangs while scanning.

edit2:
I just read this in the server-log:

Code: Select all

[14-09-21 18:31:48.0916] Slim::Utils::Scheduler::run_tasks (163) Error: Scheduler task failed: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): DBI Exception: DBD::SQLite::db commit failed: database or disk is full at /usr/share/perl5/Slim/Schema/Storage.pm line 126
How big can a music database be??
JimbobVFR400

Re: LMS fails to scan added files @NAS

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

With lots of music, certainly too big for the internal memory. Do you run SqPOS from internal memory or a USB stick?

If its a memory stick what size and have you expanded the main Linux partition to use up the unused space on the stick?
Error

Post by Error »

I run SqpOs from USB stick, size is 2GB if I recall correctly.
I never expanded the partition, is there a way to check how much space is actually used now? WinSCP maybe?
Error

Post by Error »

I used WinSCP and found out it's like 88 MB in size; so that can't be the cause right? Or can't this sizecount be right? I just selected all and clicked properties (like you would do in Windows)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Looks like you need a bigger USB stick. You need to expand the partition after you have written the sqpos image file. There isn't a user-friendly way to do this .... you need to create a new usb stick with Gparted Live on it and boot your PC with that - this will let you expand the partition on the sqpos stick.

Theoretically, it should be possible to expand the partition from within sqpos itself: but someone will have to post the exact commands to do it!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

A perfect opportunity to upgrade to v3, perhaps! ;)

Just a note - if you've used SQPOS v1 or v2, the default root partition size is only 1GB. That's not really enough to run LMS - in fact, in v3 it won't even give you the option to install LMS if you have less than 1GB free space. I would recommend popping v3 on that stick, which is 2GB by default, which should be enough to hold a reasonable library database. Or even better, use a bigger stick and expand the root filesystem using GParted Live, as castalla suggests.

I've considered the root filesystem expansion issue a good few times. There are two things people want to do; run more software (which means expanding the root filesystem) or store files alongside the root filesystem, which is more easily managed with a separate partition. I could create options to do this in SqueezePlay itself, but then... sometimes it's preferable to increase the root size AND have a third partition. Then I quickly realise that you can't cover all the options and that it's really very straightforward to have a GParted Live CD and do it all with a lovely, easy, GUI. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Error

Post by Error »

Well after I mounted my music folder, I thought "hmm if this works, then mounting the photo directory should work as well.." which I did. However streaming photos from the NAS took ages to complete so I don't use it now, was planning on copying pictures on a stick..
I removed the photo's mount but still LMS won't scan beyond a certain (music)number I added, and its the same number I saw this afternoon (with photo-mount mounted).
Furthermore, I can't access SETTING as all I get is the LMS frame with a white screen in it. So it sure looks like something else is going on which doesn't have to do with space as far as I'm concerned.

Any thoughts about that?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Well, there are reports of individual tracks causing the scan to fail - if you know which track it is, then remove it - see what happens.
Error

Post by Error »

my thoughts exactly but since I can't access the settings page I'm going for a hard reset (=power switch) off now.

edit: don't know what's happening but now it just keeps loading to enter port :9000...
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

The settings issue sounds like the issue with IE11 which was a known problem with LMS, use another browser and you should be OK or update LMS to either 7.4, 7.8 or 7.9.

TBH I'm still on 1.09 on my main server Joggler because I see no particular reason to update yet as it all just works and has been really stable and reliable. But yes I agree if you're going to mess with it anyway you might as well take the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version.

To check the space available log on using putty and run the df command at the prompt, on my 1.09 installation the main partition is listed as sda2
pete

Post by pete »

Using roobarb!'s SPer on Jogglers except that I am using either an 8Gb SSD USB stick or an 16Gb SSD drive (both are more than needed).

I do have a 64bit Ubuntu box (MythTV) running with LMS Version 7.7.4 today and remote control the Jogglers running SP. One of them is plugged into my Russound Zoned amp providing a music / audio source. This box's LCD is typically off in screensaver mode and remote controlled by the mothership(s).

Other jogglers (higher than the underlings) fly solo but remained tethered to the LMS and the mothership. The mothership has autonomous underlings which are just consoles for the mothership. The underlings (well they are Jogglers cloned from each other with unique mac addresses) do the same when single commands are sent from the mothership. I put a little pieces of tape with a tiny number on it (well last two mac numbers) cuz I cannot tell them apart.

Here I have abandoned the use of IE and move to only using Firefox and playing a bit with Opera. I also shut off Chrome.

Neato new tool / plugin to play with on Firefox called Ghostery. Noticed the other day that the WSJ had over 30 little trackers running.

Running both Adblock Plus and Ghostery is working just fine these days.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Error

Post by Error »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:The settings issue sounds like the issue with IE11 which was a known problem with LMS, use another browser and you should be OK or update LMS to either 7.4, 7.8 or 7.9.

TBH I'm still on 1.09 on my main server Joggler because I see no particular reason to update yet as it all just works and has been really stable and reliable. But yes I agree if you're going to mess with it anyway you might as well take the opportunity to upgrade to the latest version.

To check the space available log on using putty and run the df command at the prompt, on my 1.09 installation the main partition is listed as sda2
I tried Internet Explorer which also didn't work. How do I update LMS then, or better, where do I do that? I'm still using an old version, the webbrowser says there is an update available. I can't remember exactly but I think I already tried to update to a nightly build which didn't succeed... maybe due to space limits as well?? Will try to find a bigger stick and find out again how exactly I updated it. Will get back.

So:
I write an image to the bigger stick; then use gparted to stretch the available space right? Will try tonight.
I will also check the space using PuTTY tonight, thanks for the help!
Error

Post by Error »

castalla wrote:Looks like you need a bigger USB stick. You need to expand the partition after you have written the sqpos image file. There isn't a user-friendly way to do this .... you need to create a new usb stick with Gparted Live on it and boot your PC with that - this will let you expand the partition on the sqpos stick.

Theoretically, it should be possible to expand the partition from within sqpos itself: but someone will have to post the exact commands to do it!
I have copied Gparted-live-0.19 to my stick and I ran utils/win32/makeboot.bat from stick.. I rebooted my laptop and it booted into Windows 7 again? Is that right?

1. Since I have a X64 machine... shouldn't I run utils/win64/makeboot.bat ???
2. Does my machine have to be able to boot from USB? (I think it isn't, HP Probook 4530s)
castalla

Post by castalla »

You have to create a bootable usb stick (and you have to be able to set your PC to boot from usb - you can usually select this in the bios setup - I'd check you can do this first. You normally restart your PC and there's a few seconds when it should briefly display which F key to press to get into the bios. Be careful before you change anything in the bios settings!). If your PC can't boot from usb, then it all gets even more complicated!

You can create a bootable image on the usb by using http://www.linuxliveusb.com

Using linux live you should be able to choose Gparted Live from the download lists.

Yes ... I agree, it SHOULD be easier than this!
Error

Post by Error »

I burned the gparted iso to an cd-r that was lying around at the office, booted from it and managed to open gparted.

Expanded the sqp-root (not sqp-boot) to use rest of the stick, now have about 6.35 free GiB.
Does this sound correct to you guys?
castalla

Post by castalla »

Yep - looking good! Well done.

Because my laptop doesn't have a CD I always forget the easier burn a CD route!
Error

Post by Error »

Just got home and tried to give SqPOSv300 a go. I see O2 logo, then squeezeplay briefly, then O2 again and then squeezeplay briefly again. Then the screen goes dark and stays dark

Maybe i wrote wrong Image to usb? I wrote the .img file to stick and made it generate a new md5 file.. Is that correct?
castalla

Post by castalla »

All you need is the correct usb img file - external version - write that to usb using something like Windiskimager. Insert in joggler usb and power up. No need for md5 file.
Error

Post by Error »

OK. It's writing again now. will see.
Error

Post by Error »

To update on this one:
I had success using Gparted to expand the size of the root. Installed SqPOSv3.00 and all works like a charm now.

Thread can be closed as far as I'm concerned.
/close.