SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by Man in a van »

philippe_44 on the SlimDevices forum has done plugins for AirPlay bridge, ChromeCast bridge, and UPnP/DNLA bridge.

If you don't do a LMS, I'm guessing we'll be able to do a straight forward install of the .deb package anyway, won't we?

Ronnie
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm
johnnygal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm Yep, I still use 1.09 for various reasons.
Hey johnnygal; out of interest, why do you still run the older version? Only ask because I'm toying with the idea of making a version 4 when the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release comes out, so wanted to check if I've missed something in v2 or v3. No promises, mind - I'll have to see how much has changed (systemd!) and probably need to do the 32-bit build on a 64-bit system (32-bit is not offered as standard any more in 18.04, IIRC) so I have no idea if it'll all come out in the wash right now.
johnnygal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:34 pm It looks like Roobarb is still hosting the older versions
Yeah, they're not going anywhere. Always be able to grab the oldies if they're needed.
Hi roobarb|

My jogglers serve many purposes at once - Music/radio via LMS, audio announcements from my Home Automation system via a squeezebox plugin, photoframe slideshow when not playing anything and finally displaying door/garden cameras on movement detection.

It was this last one or two requirements which I seem to recall were an issue when using a newer version of Squeezeplay OS, although it's a few years ago since I last visited tried OS 2 or 3, so my memories a bit sketchy :-)

To show an mjpeg stream from a camera, my Home Automation remotely runs a script on the joggler which runs up chromium-browser with parameters for the window size and stream source. Luckily on SQ OS1.09, the chromium-browser appears on top of the squeezeplay window so you can see the camera for the duration it's active.
I seem to recall that on a later version of SQ OS, the browser didn't appear 'on top' so you couldn't see the camera stream.

The photo slideshow uses the Squeezeplayer Image Viewer feature. I use lighttpd locally on the joggler to serve the images that are accessed as a mount point on the joggler and I think I had problems setting up lighttpd on later versions of SQ OS.
I have the Image Viewer settings to use a URL, which is a list of 'localhost' urls to each photo, served by lighttpd.
Although, just tried now setting the Image Viewer to use local storage media and pointing it to the mount point and that works ok, so not sure now why I went down the lighttpd route.

So the only issue may be the chromium-browser. Perhaps, if I get some time I may have another bash at SQ OS 3 and see if I have any issues still.
It would actually be nice to be on a supported (Ubuntu) OS as it would make access to rpms easier!

Thanks again for SQ OS,
Cheers.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

I have revisited SQ OS 3 and find that chromium-browser works the way I want it, so not sure why I had issues before.
I also have it on internal memory - yippee! Again, I've swapped/bought different jogglers since the last time I was testing this, so maybe the joggler I'm trying it on now is newer. Or maybe SQ OS3 has healing properties, persuading the internal memory into life as it restores the image ;-)

So I will give it a week or so soak testing before rolling it out to my other jogglers but one thing I have noticed that you may be able to help me with, roobarb!, is that once chromium-browser is installed, there is only about 20M free on the root partition, which doesn't leave a lot for logs,etc.
I had a quick ferret around for installed packages I could get rid of, hoping to find some games or such like, but couldn't see anything. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for packages I could remove.

Other than squeezeplayer, the only other things I use are chromium-browser and cifs for NAS mount.

Cheers.
JonTheNiceGuy

Post by JonTheNiceGuy »

roobarb! wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:16 pm Only ask because I'm toying with the idea of making a version 4 when the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS release comes out, so wanted to check if I've missed something in v2 or v3. No promises, mind - I'll have to see how much has changed (systemd!) and probably need to do the 32-bit build on a 64-bit system (32-bit is not offered as standard any more in 18.04, IIRC) so I have no idea if it'll all come out in the wash right now.
I never did get a 16.04 build started much beyond finding your tooling... :) If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I really want a newer version of Bluez for my HA stuff :D

I know some of the Canonical staff who also have had Jogglers, so if you're struggling with issues in the build, I can always ask them for some guidance :) - they're not obliged to reply though!!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm I have revisited SQ OS 3 and find that chromium-browser works the way I want it, so not sure why I had issues before.
I also have it on internal memory - yippee! Again, I've swapped/bought different jogglers since the last time I was testing this, so maybe the joggler I'm trying it on now is newer. Or maybe SQ OS3 has healing properties, persuading the internal memory into life as it restores the image ;-)
Ha, good stuff! I'm sure there was some display stuff that changed between v1 and v2, but I honestly can't remember now.
johnnygal wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm So I will give it a week or so soak testing before rolling it out to my other jogglers but one thing I have noticed that you may be able to help me with, roobarb!, is that once chromium-browser is installed, there is only about 20M free on the root partition, which doesn't leave a lot for logs,etc.
I had a quick ferret around for installed packages I could get rid of, hoping to find some games or such like, but couldn't see anything. Do you (or anyone) have any suggestions for packages I could remove.
There's not much, I think I binned pretty much everything that I could. There's definitely nothing of significant size that I'm aware of...
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

roobarb! wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:03 pm There's not much, I think I binned pretty much everything that I could. There's definitely nothing of significant size that I'm aware of...
I suspected that you had already trimmed it down to essentials but it was worth asking anyway.
Thanks. I'll perhaps just keep an eye on it and see how much it grows
general_failure

Post by general_failure »

Hi,

I have a joggler using Squeezeplay OS 3.03, which I have set up with a static IP on ethernet.
I would like to be able to take a new backup/image of this config that can be re-flashed without a PC or (much) user interaction.
Is there an easy way to do this ?

Thanks.
pete

Post by pete »

Actually here my SP'er OP2 got scrambled and I just used the current image on a stick and reinstalled it. The time consuming piece was connecting it to my WAP which took some 2 minutes.

The Squeezeplayer server is running on my MythTV box and the music is located on a mapped NAS.

It connected right up to the Squeezebox server.

I just recently utilized Clonzilla to make a backup image of a dual booting Ubuntu/Windows 10 configuration which worked great.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
general_failure

Post by general_failure »

Thanks Pete, I'm fairly new to linux, but that turned out a lot easier than I expected.
pete

Post by pete »

Good news general_failure.

Yes Andy has made the write the new OS to the Joggler very much plugnplay.

Over time though the internal eMMC on the Jogglers get a bit worn down.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
chazzy2501

Post by chazzy2501 »

I've just installed PNPIII 3.60 I was wondering why that can install the standard OS squeeze play and the LMS on the internal memory (of the o2 joggler) but Squeezeplay OS says it needs more space? (or use external stick)?

Anyhow as you state the mysqueezebox is tempramental but it outright fails all the time for me now. :: I used PNPIII and it works through the joggler version of LMS yay.

Anyho thanks for the hardwork..
BlackIC

Post by BlackIC »

Hi,

First of all, thanks for the amazing work with SQPOS. It's really smooth and easy to install and setup and feels like any Squeezebox device :)

Now, however, I've got a severe issue with the setup, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. If it's not, please point me to the correct place, thank you.

I'm running the SQPOS 3.0.3 on an O2 Joggler, and I'm getting this a lot:

Code: Select all

Nov 28 15:58:37 openframe squeezeplay: playback_callback:348 Audio underrun: used 395 frames, requested 1024 frames. elapsed samples 6394980
Nov 28 16:03:11 openframe squeezeplay: playback_callback:348 Audio underrun: used 547 frames, requested 1024 frames. elapsed samples 928588
Nov 28 16:03:37 openframe squeezeplay: playback_callback:348 Audio underrun: used 145 frames, requested 1024 frames. elapsed samples 1552222
when playing music from the local Squeezebox Server (as in MP3 files). When this happens, the player has to rebuffer, and sometimes it simply stops playing at all. It's not happening when I'm streaming music from the internet, and it's only happening to the Joggler. I'm not getting this on the duet, boom, radio, or any other squeezeplay instance (computer, laptop, smartphones...) in the network, only on the SQPOS Joggler. As most of my Squeezebox devices, the Joggler is connected via wifi, and I extracted above message from /var/log/syslog on the Joggler.

If this is the wrong place to ask, please be so kind to point me to the right place. Otherwise, help would be appreciated a lot, as this is really very annoying.

Thanks a lot!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

BlackIC wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:16 pmIt's not happening when I'm streaming music from the internet, and it's only happening to the Joggler.
An under-run would indicate that the Joggler's not getting the data quickly enough, either due to the wifi network bandwidth or some overly intensive processing that's happening on the LMS server or the Joggler itself. In what format do you store your local media? Has it always done this? Does your LMS install transcode before sending the data? Is your server overloaded?

Content from the internet will be subject to pretty stringent bandwidth controls, so is likely to be as efficient as possible, hence not having any trouble over wifi or on the Joggler. Your home content could be anything... :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BlackIC

Post by BlackIC »

Thank you for your reply, roobarb!.
roobarb! wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am An under-run would indicate that the Joggler's not getting the data quickly enough, either due to the wifi network bandwidth or some overly intensive processing that's happening on the LMS server or the Joggler itself. In what format do you store your local media? Has it always done this? Does your LMS install transcode before sending the data? Is your server overloaded?
Nope, it has never done this, and it's not doing this for any other player but the joggler. I have a duet, a boom, a radio, several computers running SqueezePlay and a couple Android devices of different ages and perfomance capabilities, all running SqueezePlay, and none of them has ever shown this issue before, nor are any of them showing these symptoms now. It's only the joggler that is affected by this phenomenon. Except for the duet and some desktop computers, all devices connect to the LMS via wifi. The issue occurs no matter how many devices are currently actively used. I even shut all devices but the joggler explicitly down, and it still occurred.

Now to your question how I store the media: the music is stored on a file server running NetBSD with very fast hard disks. The music files are all mp3, some bought, some self encoded. It doesn't matter which I select, it happens erratically with all of them. The LMS is running on separate computer, a Geode machine running a Ubuntu 15.04 that is just serving as our LMS. It connects to the NetBSD file server via nfs.
I am not sure about the transcoding, at the moment, but I always configure all devices the same, so if transcoding on server-side is an issue, it should happen to all devices, not just the joggler.

Looking at the load average, I'm pretty sure that the LMS machine is not overloaded - this is how it looks, while it's serving the joggler and a Squeezebox radio with different local mp3s:

$ uptime
 10:56:42 up 9 days, 21:06,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.08, 0.07
$ uptime
 10:58:29 up 9 days, 21:08,  1 user,  load average: 0.12, 0.10, 0.07
roobarb! wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am Content from the internet will be subject to pretty stringent bandwidth controls, so is likely to be as efficient as possible, hence not having any trouble over wifi or on the Joggler. Your home content could be anything... :)
Yeah, I know. However, the stuff I stream comes in as a 320 kbit/s mp3 or 128 kbit/s AAC stream. My own MP3s are usually 192 kbit/s average bit rate encoded MP3 files, and I am not sure what the MP3s are encoded in that you can buy on amazon and other places - I always wanted to check that, but never got around, yet. However, it doesn't matter much, as only the joggler has that problem, and it's annoying as I'm sure you can imagine. I'm very willing to provide more logging information or whatever, to get to the root of this problem - just tell me where to look, because right now I have no idea, and I'm no computer illiterate... :) .

If it were all Squeezebox devices, it would be so much easier...but no, it's just the joggler, which is why I'm posting this issue here in this forum. I will keep experimenting with a few settings (like lame quality / bandwidth limitation, etc), may be I find something. It's also planned to merge the LMS and the file server into one single linux machine, but there's no date for that, yet. If, for some reason, it's a server side performance issue that only kills the joggler (hard to imagine, when the duet, boom and all the other devices are playing fine at the same time - right now as I am writing this text, actually), that should end the issues then, as that machine a lot more powerful than the Geode, and file access would be direct. But as I said - no date planned, yet. I'll keep you posted, and if you have any idea, please let me know.

Thanks.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

chazzy2501 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:35 pm I've just installed PNPIII 3.60 I was wondering why that can install the standard OS squeeze play and the LMS on the internal memory (of the o2 joggler) but Squeezeplay OS says it needs more space? (or use external stick)?

Anyhow as you state the mysqueezebox is tempramental but it outright fails all the time for me now. :: I used PNPIII and it works through the joggler version of LMS yay.

Anyho thanks for the hardwork..
I have never used PNPlll, but there is a previous version of SQPOS that was available for internal use of LMS.

I do have a standard Joggler running LMS v 7.9.2 and the EDO plugin at the moment, all installed on the internal memory with a little bit of space.
joggler@openframe:~$ df -m
Filesystem 1M-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p2 935 780 108 88% /
none 1 0 1 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 245 1 245 1% /dev
none 192 1 192 1% /tmp
tmpfs 50 1 49 2% /run
none 5 0 5 0% /run/lock
none 248 0 248 0% /run/shm
none 100 0 100 0% /run/user
none 256 1 256 1% /var/cache/apt
none 256 0 256 0% /var/lib/apt/lists
none 16 2 15 7% /var/log
/dev/mmcblk0p1 31 11 20 37% /boot
192.168.1.***:/Squeezebox 1876286 703292 1172995 38% /mnt/Squeezebox

The only snag, is that for an update to LMS, I have to

sudo apt-get -y remove logitechmediaserver
before I install the new version.

ronnie
BlackIC

Post by BlackIC »

roobarb! wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am An under-run would indicate that the Joggler's not getting the data quickly enough, either due to the wifi network bandwidth or some overly intensive processing that's happening on the LMS server or the Joggler itself. In what format do you store your local media? Has it always done this? Does your LMS install transcode before sending the data? Is your server overloaded?

Content from the internet will be subject to pretty stringent bandwidth controls, so is likely to be as efficient as possible, hence not having any trouble over wifi or on the Joggler. Your home content could be anything... :)
Your remark about the stringent bandwith control got me thinking. I noticed I only tried the 128kbit/s AAC streams on the Joggler. After switching to a 320kbit/s MP3 internet stream, the issues began. So as I already said in my previous post, I started playing around with player specific bandwidth limitation in the LMS settings for the Joggler. Usually, I use "no limitation", and that obviously was too much for the joggler. After setting this to 192 kbit/s, the problems were gone. Music's playing perfectly fine now, now matter what I'm listening to, now. I will try increasing the setting to see how high I can set until the issues re-emerge, but at least I have a working setup now.

PROBLEM SOLVED :)

Thank you for pointing me into the right direction.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

BlackIC wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 am
After switching to a 320kbit/s MP3 internet stream, the issues began.

@ blackIC

I'm curious about this problem.

I have an O2 Joggler connected by wifi to my LMServer (v7.9.2).

It has the internal version of SqueezePlay 3.0.3 installed.

I have also installed LMS and EDO but disabled LMS from running.

I use a USB dac as outlet and have no problem with Radio Paradise flac streams or

http://stream-uk1.radioparadise.com/aac-320

If you would care to share more detail of your Joggler set-up and give an example of a stream that plays improperly, I'll see if I can replicate the problem.

ronnie
BlackIC

Post by BlackIC »

Man in a van wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:01 am
If you would care to share more detail of your Joggler set-up and give an example of a stream that plays improperly, I'll see if I can replicate the problem.
I fear I might have provided some misinformation. I just played around some more, and could not reproduce those internet stream issues. They must have been some other glitch last night, which I misinterpreted as the same problem. The same stream is coming in perfectly now for over an hour. Sometimes, the streams from DI.fm do have issues. Very rarely so, but may be it was such an occasion, and I misinterpreted it. I'm sorry for the confusion.

However, the information you requested:
  1. The internet stream: I love https://www.di.fm's portfolio, especially the chillout stuff. I usually stream the aac-128 or mp3-320k quality streams - which you have to pay for, so replicating might not be so simple.
  2. My LMS setup: I run a Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1431440256 @ Wed May 13 04:05:18 UTC 2015 on a Futro S400, featuring an AMD Geode NX 1500 CPU @ 1 GHz with 1 GB RAM and an 8GB Compact Flash Card drive. It's running a Ubuntu 15.04 operating system and is only hosting the LMS. Music is stored, as stated in another post, on a much more powerful machine, to which the Futro connects to via NFS over wired gigabit LAN.
  3. The Joggler: the O2 Joggler is the one I bought from someone who's also on this board, dwl99. From what I can tell, it's the standard O2 Joggler, and it came with the latest official OpenPeak firmware already installed (thank you for that, dwl99 :) ). I flashed it as described by roobarb! on his page with SqueezePlay OS v3.03 for OpenFrame 1 Internal Memory, and configured it for running in my wifi network.
  4. WIFI: powered by an AVM Fritz!Box 7490 Router, which also provides our Internet access (100mbit/s VDSL). The AP module of the router runs both a 2.4 GHz and a 5GHz wifi network, to which the devices can connect, and an extra wifi (and complete separate subnet) for guest devices on a different channel. This optimizes bandwidth and wifi network utilization between devices. Station isolation is not activated for the internal wifi network, as that would disrupt internal network communication between the devices - which would be very counter productive :)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@ blackIC

Aaahhhh, the mention of payment killed that thought stone dead. :( ;) :oops:

But glad to hear everything is working well. Maybe it was just just a glitch, as you say.

I have, in the past, thought of a thin client, but mostly run raspberry-pi nowadays and use the Joggler as a controller, or as instanced above, a Squeezebox Touch replacement.

I have utilised an old Shuttle, XS35GS V3, which I bought about 6/7 years ago and now use that as my primary LMServer.

I use

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

which works very well.

ronnie
BlackIC

Post by BlackIC »

Man in a van wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:39 pm Aaahhhh, the mention of payment killed that thought stone dead. :( ;) :oops:
Yeah, I thought so...just for replicating it's not really...well...no. :)
Man in a van wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:39 pm But glad to hear everything is working well. Maybe it was just just a glitch, as you say.
Yeah, so am I. Because now I can fully and completely enjoy the Joggler for the purpose I bought the little device: It's in the dining room connected to a speaker system providing us with nice music via/from the LMServer. Be that durings meals or while I use the table when building/painting BattleTech and WH40K miniatures...everything is better with music... :)
I was looking for devices for a while now, because the original Squeezebox devices have been pretty expensive on ebay most of the time (or I wasn't lucky enough to win the auctions). And when I stumbled across this Joggler, I just had to give it a try. Since they were UK only, I have never heard of them before, and only recently stumbled across them by accident.
Man in a van wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:39 pm I have, in the past, thought of a thin client, but mostly run raspberry-pi nowadays and use the Joggler as a controller, or as instanced above, a Squeezebox Touch replacement.

I have utilised an old Shuttle, XS35GS V3, which I bought about 6/7 years ago and now use that as my primary LMServer.
I will move my LMS from the Futro back to the more powerful fileserver, which is powered by an Intel Atom D525 CPU @ 1.8 GHz with 4 GB RAM and since it's a file server, a huge lot more disk space, plus the operating system and all programs are installed on a 250GB mSATA SSD card... so...that box just flies, compared to the Futro. :D And it's running anyway. Merging both machines means one less box running, reducing the overall power consumption and maintenance overhead etc. But before I can do that, I need to actually switch that fileserver from NetBSD to Linux, and that is something not so easily done, as the two operating systems are not exactly compatible - neither configuration-wise nor filesystem-wise...so I do have lots of work ahead of me on that part...but...winter is coming... :D