SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by castalla »

Very strange ... several reports that triode's spotify still works, despite the announcement that it would die.

So many variables that'll be difficult to pin down!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi Castalia how is the Squeeze play Alexa going , have you had a play with it yet.
I had a look and it seemed just for developers at that time .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hi

It works well - the final step is to allow for selecting favourites & playlists .... that seems to be stalled for some reason.

Otherwise all the usual LMS commands work.

regards
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks , time to give it another try .
Cheers

Happy Joggling
jeremyroebuck

Post by jeremyroebuck »

I bought a v2 with front speakers version (OpenFrame 7E) from eBay. I've attempted to flash it numerous times using different USB sticks and redownloading both the v2 image and the flashing image. The flashing process seems to run smoothly but when I restart it freezes at the OpenPeak splash screen, Before flashing it booted up fine. I'm running out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions
pete

Post by pete »

Maybe try booting with Buzz's Ubuntu and try using GParted to clean up the eMMC partition. Format it. Clean it and see if that works.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

jeremyroebuck wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm I bought a v2 with front speakers version (OpenFrame 7E) from eBay. I've attempted to flash it numerous times using different USB sticks and redownloading both the v2 image and the flashing image. The flashing process seems to run smoothly but when I restart it freezes at the OpenPeak splash screen, Before flashing it booted up fine. I'm running out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions

Is this the image you'r are trying to flash?

http://birdslikewires.uk/openpeak-firmware

Ronnie
jeremyroebuck

Post by jeremyroebuck »

Thanks Pete, will give it a try

Ronnie - I'm using v3.03 but the V2 from here http://birdslikewires.co.uk/squeezeplay-os - correct?
pete

Post by pete »

Here just redid two of the Openpeak 2 devices. One was an Openpeak7e and the other a Cisco.

The original Openpeak 2 devices here have telco (Verizon/Avaya) or energy (utility company betas) here.

The original new Openpeak 2 devices came from Openpeak in nice boxes with one Openpeak DECT telephone.

Here utilized the SqueezePlay OS for internal memory (2Gb eMMC).

Initially did write a Seabios ROM, updated Realtek NIC chip then write the Avaya ROM.

Note too that the Openpeak 2 devices has a tiny battery. I know that this does work and saves time fine.

I put the Avaya boot EFI bios on both of them as I have had the best luck with this EFI boot ROM.

Thing is that I cannot do that modprobe fh thing today with current buntu builds.

I am currently using the audio out jack on these two devices as I could not get a USB audio digital stick to work.

One other thing here is that I have gone to utilizing PFSense here with multiple interfaces. Internally have test networks for playing with iOT. I do not these days open up any ports on the firewall for use of Squeezeserver / squeezeplayer Internet stuff.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

jeremyroebuck wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:58 am Thanks Pete, will give it a try

Ronnie - I'm using v3.03 but the V2 from here http://birdslikewires.co.uk/squeezeplay-os - correct?
I used the one for internal memory

Code: Select all

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/openframe/squeezeplay/os/v3/sqpos303_of2.img.gz
I seem to remember that both operations took quite a time to complete.

The unit might be trying to dial home and preventing the flash completing, there is a workaround for this in a PNP thread I think
pete

Post by pete »

Also do not forget to change the /etc/apt/sources.list with:

sudo sed -i.bak 's/ubuntu.datahop.net/archive.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Here now updating an original O2 Joggler (virginal). Looking here to update realtek nic while playing.

Wrote the Squeezebox OS on the O2 Joggler. Works great. Then wrote the original OS to update the ROM. Worked fine.

Went to update the rom to the coreboot.rom and bricked it with a bad file. So now doing the hot swap rewrite thing to update the MAC.

Sort of PITA and time consuming.

Did the hot swap efi boot rom chip thing. IE: booted another Joggler, swapped out boot rom while on, wrote to bad rom, tested it to boot fine.

Wrote coreboot.rom to new O2 Joggler. Booted to realtek nic rom writer, wrote a new mac address. Changed rom back to O2 rom.

Wrote squeezeplayer OS to O2 Joggler. SSH'd to box and updated OS.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Changed the NAS music share to public and now the SQP on the OP2 works fine.

The NAS box took a dive with a bad power supply. That said when I rebooted it the RAID 5 and drives had errors and had to do a fix. Fixed all and all is good now.
- Pete

Auto mater
JoggingOn

Post by JoggingOn »

jeremyroebuck wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:57 pm I bought a v2 with front speakers version (OpenFrame 7E) from eBay. I've attempted to flash it numerous times using different USB sticks and redownloading both the v2 image and the flashing image. The flashing process seems to run smoothly but when I restart it freezes at the OpenPeak splash screen, Before flashing it booted up fine. I'm running out of ideas and would welcome any suggestions
Hi All,
Been lurking for a while after successfully managing to get SqueezeplayOS installed and running perfectly on 3 O2 Jogglers. Took a punt on eBay for a OpenFrame 7EZ and tried to install Squeezeplay. I cannot, however, get SqueezeplayOS to boot either from internal MMC or from USB. I have managed to flash the latest v3.03 firmware, and boot Xubuntu 14.04 from a USB stick. Squeezeplay works fine running from the Xubuntu image. Like jeremyroebuck, I've tried several different USB sticks and downloaded the image several times and used MacOS and Linux to write the images to the USB stick. All have the same result, freezing at the OpenPeak splash screen. What differences between the SqueezeePlayOS build and the Xubuntu build could be the cause of this and how would I go about getting sqpos to boot from internal MMC?
TIA,
Jonathon
pete

Post by pete »

Welcome to the Joggler forum Jonathon.

What differences between the SqueezeePlayOS build and the Xubuntu build could be the cause of this and how would I go about getting sqpos to boot from internal MMC?

Nothing really. You can just utilize your reflash USB stick and remove the firmware from the reflash directory and replace it with the SQP firmware (sqpos303_of2.img.gz and sqpos30)3_of2.img.gz.md5

I have used the reflash system to flash SQP on the O2 Joggler eMMC and the OpenPeak 7EZ and it's worked fine.

I have also used GPARTED to copy the partitions from a USB stick to the eMMC by hand.
- Pete

Auto mater
JoggingOn

Post by JoggingOn »

Hi Pete,
That's the nub of the problem, really. I've tried copying the sqp files to the reflash folder, the reflash seems to proceed OK but the OP7 freezes at the splash screen. This happens both when I use reflash to copy sqp to the internal memory and when I try to boot the sqp image from the USB drive. I only wondered about the differences since I read that the SQP base Linux uses a different kernel to the Xubuntu one, and does not use the Intel EMGD drivers. Should I try to reflash the EFI? If so, which EFI version are you using? (I seem to recall reading somewhere on the forum that you recommend the Avaya EFI.)
Cheers,
Jonathon
JoggingOn

Post by JoggingOn »

Enabling verbose logging, it seems to hang up with the message
random: nonblocking pool is initialized
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

JoggingOn wrote:Enabling verbose logging, it seems to hang up with the message
Welcome Jonathon

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Make sure show hidden files is ticked in the properties field on your rom file .That had been the issue for me more than once on windows pc , there was an added file extension that I couldn't see until I ticked the box , I just had to rename it and voila it worked after that .
Hope that makes sense .
I'm correct in thinking your reflash stick does boot up , is that right ?
It's just the Rom won't stick .

Happy Joggling
JoggingOn

Post by JoggingOn »

Hi Hawsey,
I’ve been using dd on MacOS and latterly Linux to write the images, so the “show extensions” Windows setting shouldn’t be relevant?

The USB stick works fine in the following situations:
updating the stock firmware to version 3.3 using roobarb's flashing tool;
booting up BuZz’s Xubuntu 14.04;
installing and running SqueezePlay from the USB stick Xubuntu.

What does not work:
installing SqueezePlay on the standard OpenPeak firmware;
writing roobarb’s SqueezeplayOS to internal memory - freezes at OpenPeak splash screen;
booting roobarb’s SqueezeplayOS from USB stick - freezes at OpenPeak splash screen. With verbose logging during boot, the last message displayed on screen is

I’ve tried 4 or 5 different USB sticks and two different OS to write the images to the USB stick - same result.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

JoggingOn wrote:Hi Hawsey,
I’ve been using dd on MacOS and latterly Linux to write the images, so the “show extensions” Windows setting shouldn’t be relevant?

The USB stick works fine in the following situations:
updating the stock firmware to version 3.3 using roobarb's flashing tool;
booting up BuZz’s Xubuntu 14.04;
installing and running SqueezePlay from the USB stick Xubuntu.

What does not work:
installing SqueezePlay on the standard OpenPeak firmware;
writing roobarb’s SqueezeplayOS to internal memory - freezes at OpenPeak splash screen;
booting roobarb’s SqueezeplayOS from USB stick - freezes at OpenPeak splash screen. With verbose logging during boot, the last message displayed on screen is

I’ve tried 4 or 5 different USB sticks and two different OS to write the images to the USB stick - same result.
Hmm that's beyond me , I'm afraid , I'm pretty certain Roobarb himself has one of those devices , he's not on here much recently though ( not many posts :-) )
@roobarb is their anybody there ;-)
Maybe a PM
Good luck .

Happy Joggling