SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roughlychiron

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by roughlychiron »

where can I get a version 2 image in the mean time .....

MD
castalla

Post by castalla »

No idea! Can you remove the J files ? Scan again - if it bombs out at L or at 19500 files then looks like it's a Joggler problem.

Or look in scan log - it should indicate something near the end.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

I'm kicking myself for deleting the older mages I had ....

Thanks for input, am already trying a clear and rescan minus the J's ... see what happens.

M
castalla

Post by castalla »

Let's see - I think I have 1.09 somewhere . If we can't fix this then we'll figure out something.
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

captkronos wrote:I don't have a custom-convert.conf but in convert.conf I had:

Code: Select all

mp3 mp3 * *
        -
and further on:

# special case for smart bitrates on mp3 input
mp3 mp3 transcode *
        # IFB:{BITRATE=-B %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
       [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ -v $BITRATE$ $RESAMPLE$ --mp3input $FILE$ -
Removing the second section, I now get the error message "Unsupported sample rate" on my Joggler when playing some mp3s. (Of course that makes sense considering the change I just made to convert.conf.) However I am pretty sure I didn't have this problem with playing those files on a previous version of SqueezePlay on the joggler.

I might have been wrong in my previous post. I think I get the same behaviour whether I initiate the playback from either the jogger or the web interface.

And just in case it helps, I don't have any problem in playing these mp3s on my Squeezebox Radio.
Interestingly, using squeezelite as the player everything works. I assume squeezeplay and squeezelite are using different mp3 libraries?
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

captkronos wrote: .....
Interestingly, using squeezelite as the player everything works. I assume squeezeplay and squeezelite are using different mp3 libraries?
Hi captkronos.
How did you install Squeezelite? And are you able to play WMA files with it?

I too tried to install squeezelite to SQOS, but I did not (fully) succeed.
Main reason I want Squeezelite is, because it should be able to play WMA files natively - which Squeezeplay sadly can not do due to some licensing issues.
When I did the install via apt-get, I could play mp3 and other files, but not WMA files - no error, just no sound and no progress in the progress-bar.
The other option for a simpler install is to install the "Local Player" Plugin to LMS (when running on the joggler) - that install seemed to not work for me at all.

-> Any help to get Sqeezelite properly installed onto the joggler SPOS would be greatly appreciated.

All the best, Heiner
castalla

Post by castalla »

You can adapt an install from here: http://www.gerrelt.nl/RaspberryPi/wordp ... -raspbian/

Sceoll down to 'Installing Squeezelite'
Error

Post by Error »

captkronos wrote: .........I now get the error message "Unsupported sample rate" on my Joggler when playing some mp3s.....
yeah, me too, using OS3 I do get the same error message with some files. I don't have the EDO applet installed now which I had before, don't know if that makes the difference? The files I get the error on are mp3's, that are on 256 kbps... Why can't it handle that? there's no need for EDO for such files I think?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

coelhonet wrote:So, I tried first your USB version and I'm tempted to go over internal memory version (I can see I have 2GB MMC inside), however wondering if I should take a backup on what's inside my internal memory (I can see there are firmware for O2 Joggler, but none so far for Telefonica Orby), just in case something goes wrong.
Always good to back up first! Easiest way is to write the reflash system to a big stick or hard drive, then use GPartEd to add an extra FAT partition at the end. Then boot it up with a keyboard attached (with no replacement OS files in /boot/reflash) and press a key to get it to the command line. Then run:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=<path to your extra partition>/orby-backup.img
If you then feel really kind, pop that up on the web somewhere, so we can all have a copy. In fact, while you're there you could:

sudo modprobe fh
sudo if=/dev/fh of=<path to your extra partition>/orby-efi-backup.img
Which would dump the boot EFI so we can take a peek at it!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roughlychiron wrote:I'm kicking myself for deleting the older mages I had ....
All versions of SQPOS are here:

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/download/op ... zeplay/os/
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

ah, wonderful ... thank you very much. I'm quite sure I'll work out what the issue is but for now I may return to v2 ..

thanks as usual to you and the rest of the guys for knowledgeable input.

MD
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

quick question guys, if attaching a hdd to the joggler containing all music files is there a preferred file structure that works best?

cheers
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

roughlychiron wrote:quick question guys, if attaching a hdd to the joggler containing all music files is there a preferred file structure that works best?

cheers

who you callin obese32? :o

works for me innit

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index. ... format.htm

atb

Ronnie
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

Thanks Ronnie...... do I need to choose an allocation size?

mike
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I always use the default setting, seems to work.

I did read somewhere that the 'pi works better at a certain value (don't remember where or what) but I use this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Slimlin ... B008PABFX8

and have not had any problems.

atb

ronnie.
jogglerhase

SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) lacking IO::Socket::SSL

Post by jogglerhase »

Hi Roobarb, all.
Just FYI:
There were problems showing up when using LMS plugins SmartMix and (Triodes) Spotify on the Joggler running SPOS:
After some troubleshootimg (see Slimdevices forum - 3rd Party - SmartMix thread) it turns out that the problem occurs due to the lack IO::Socket::SSL beeing installed in SQOS.
You're lacking IO::Socket::SSL on your system. ......
What LMS does when IO::Socket::SSL is missing, is use http instead of
https. Pretty often for simple streams this is ok. But in the case of
the spotify API it would try to redirect from port 80 to https on port
443 - which results in a loop, as LMS would then go to port 80 again.
This is causing the "Redirection limit exceeded" error.]
I installed it via apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
May be, it is worth to add this in some future SPOS release?

Just wanted to let you know.
Heiner
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

jogglerhase wrote:
captkronos wrote: .....
Hi captkronos.
How did you install Squeezelite? And are you able to play WMA files with it?

I too tried to install squeezelite to SQOS, but I did not (fully) succeed.
Main reason I want Squeezelite is, because it should be able to play WMA files natively - which Squeezeplay sadly can not do due to some licensing issues.
When I did the install via apt-get, I could play mp3 and other files, but not WMA files - no error, just no sound and no progress in the progress-bar.
The other option for a simpler install is to install the "Local Player" Plugin to LMS (when running on the joggler) - that install seemed to not work for me at all.

-> Any help to get Sqeezelite properly installed onto the joggler SPOS would be greatly appreciated.

All the best, Heiner
Actually I had gone back to PnP III when I discovered and tried squeezelite. (PnP III has squeezelite as part of its default install.) I thought the installation of SqueezePlay from PnP III might not have the weird mp3 problems but it exhibits the exact same behaviour.

Squeezelite doesn't play wma files for me. I get an supported file format (or something along those lines) error message. I might try to find the library files that support wma.
coelhonet

Post by coelhonet »

roobarb! wrote:
coelhonet wrote:So, I tried first your USB version and I'm tempted to go over internal memory version (I can see I have 2GB MMC inside), however wondering if I should take a backup on what's inside my internal memory (I can see there are firmware for O2 Joggler, but none so far for Telefonica Orby), just in case something goes wrong.
Always good to back up first! Easiest way is to write the reflash system to a big stick or hard drive, then use GPartEd to add an extra FAT partition at the end. Then boot it up with a keyboard attached (with no replacement OS files in /boot/reflash) and press a key to get it to the command line. Then run:

sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=<path to your extra partition>/orby-backup.img
If you then feel really kind, pop that up on the web somewhere, so we can all have a copy. In fact, while you're there you could:

sudo modprobe fh
sudo if=/dev/fh of=<path to your extra partition>/orby-efi-backup.img
Which would dump the boot EFI so we can take a peek at it!
Hey!

Here you can get images you asked (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8d4u4pinal8d ... hCwfa?dl=0)

Thanks!
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) lacking IO::Socket::SSL

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:There were problems showing up when using LMS plugins SmartMix and (Triodes) Spotify on the Joggler running SPOS:
After some troubleshootimg (see Slimdevices forum - 3rd Party - SmartMix thread) it turns out that the problem occurs due to the lack IO::Socket::SSL beeing installed in SQOS.

I installed it via apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ssleay-perl
May be, it is worth to add this in some future SPOS release?
Absolutely; thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure they're in v3.01.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS (V3) - joggler brightness and strange pla

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:Told you it was a quick and dirty fix. The backlight will still come on full, but only for a second - it will then dim to the correct level.
I've managed to figure out this backlight bug now. Turned out not to be a fault in the kernel, but with Xserver - it turns out that many people have had similar issues controlling backlights that are not hooked up to /sys/class/backlight/acpi_videoX. None of the kernel parameters make a difference.

Previously everything was auto-configuring, but you can force the correct backlight by providing a massively simplified xorg.conf file. I'll be rolling this in to v3.01, but if you're running v3.00 and would like a proper fix, just SSH in to the command line and:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Then copy and paste this little lot:

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "gma500"
	Driver      "fbdev"
	Option      "Backlight"      "openframe-bl"
EndSection
CTRL-X and 'y' to save. Then give it a reboot and all should be well.