SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roughlychiron

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by roughlychiron »

.... ah, schoolboy error .... transcoding now turned off .... Playing WAV natively now

ooops

M
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just fixed some PHP errors with the update system backend, so if you've tried to check for updates on any version of SqueezePlay and it's been acting strangely, it should be fine now.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Error

Post by Error »

When i play a song and want to choose another, it comes up with a screen that let's me choose if I want it to play directly, or at the end of the now playing song. I believe the earlier version didnt come up with this notification.
Can I change the way this acts somewhere? When I tap to play a song I want it to play directly without asking...
castalla

Post by castalla »

Go to LMS web gui - Settings - Player (make sure it's set to Sqeezeplay) - at Defeat destructive Touch-To-Play set to Do Not Defeat
Error

Post by Error »

ha I just discovered this option and thought.. well maybe this is what I'm looking for!
Thanks for the help.
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

Just come back to my Joggler after many many months and have installed SqueezePlay OS v3 on to the internal memory. All seems to be good apart from when I initiate play back of an mp3 through the Joggler it seems to start transcoding the file rather than playing it natively. (I can see Lame running on the server running LMS.) However, if I initiate play back of the same file via the LMS web interface it plays the file natively on the Joggler. Any ideas?

Thanks.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

captkronos wrote:Just come back to my Joggler after many many months and have installed SqueezePlay OS v3 on to the internal memory. All seems to be good apart from when I initiate play back of an mp3 through the Joggler it seems to start transcoding the file rather than playing it natively. (I can see Lame running on the server running LMS.) However, if I initiate play back of the same file via the LMS web interface it plays the file natively on the Joggler. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I assume you have set a bit rate limit within your LMS.
Check LMS Web-interface Settings/Player/{Your Player}/Bitrate Limiting = No Limit
Any other than no limit might force LMS to trans-code.
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

palindrom wrote:
captkronos wrote:Just come back to my Joggler after many many months and have installed SqueezePlay OS v3 on to the internal memory. All seems to be good apart from when I initiate play back of an mp3 through the Joggler it seems to start transcoding the file rather than playing it natively. (I can see Lame running on the server running LMS.) However, if I initiate play back of the same file via the LMS web interface it plays the file natively on the Joggler. Any ideas?

Thanks.
I assume you have set a bit rate limit within your LMS.
Check LMS Web-interface Settings/Player/{Your Player}/Bitrate Limiting = No Limit
Any other than no limit might force LMS to trans-code.
I must admit I don't understand that setting since surely a value of "No Limit" means transcribe at the highest quality possible. But anyway, that is the current setting.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

captkronos wrote: I must admit I don't understand that setting since surely a value of "No Limit" means transcribe at the highest quality possible. But anyway, that is the current setting.
The only other reason - as far as I know - for trans-coding is an entry within the *.conf files

convert.conf
custom-convert.conf

There might be an entry like:

Code: Select all

mp3 mp3 * *
	# IFB:{BITRATE=-B %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
	[lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ -v $BITRATE$ $RESAMPLE$ --mp3input $FILE$ -

mp3 mp3 transcode *

Try deleting it.
But if "No Limit" is set there should be no transcoding.
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

I don't have a custom-convert.conf but in convert.conf I had:

mp3 mp3 * *
        -
and further on:

# special case for smart bitrates on mp3 input
mp3 mp3 transcode *
Removing the second section, I now get the error message "Unsupported sample rate" on my Joggler when playing some mp3s. (Of course that makes sense considering the change I just made to convert.conf.) However I am pretty sure I didn't have this problem with playing those files on a previous version of SqueezePlay on the joggler.

I might have been wrong in my previous post. I think I get the same behaviour whether I initiate the playback from either the jogger or the web interface.

And just in case it helps, I don't have any problem in playing these mp3s on my Squeezebox Radio.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

I checked with my SqueezePlay OS Joggler(s). I can not see any unwanted trans-coding.
Kindle provide additional details (Bitrate/Samplerate of the file and new Bitrate/Samplerate).
Are you using the internal DAC of the Joggler or an USB Stick?
captkronos

Post by captkronos »

Internal DAC.
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

Hi All,

Ok, my move to spos3 is proving VERY frustrating, I realised early that I was mistakenly including md5 file in windisk32 write procedure so I started again. I have created 3 usb discs and all seem to have issues. I have changed from the internal usb slot to an external hub with the hdd containing my library files attached also. All sticks boot but joggler reboots intermittently causing scanning failures etc, two of the sticks on boot display multi lingual tendencies even tho English is chosen (English French and German is displayed on various 'buttons'), some commands don't function at at ( for example attempting to mute sound affects)

I am reusing usb discs that have had images written to them many times, all partitions have been deleted and new fat32 primaries created using gparted, could they have been corrupted .... is there a cure?

I am now on disc no.3 all booted ok, only English displaying now, it did reboot, scan interrupted, now rescanning for new and cha..... , my library is fairly extensive 50,000 files/directories, scan always seems to be interrupted around artists beginning J or K (probably unrelated but thought I'd include it)

Anyone any thoughts or indeed have similar problems

Only thing I have yet to try is another Joggler

Cheers

Mike
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

UPDATE

Tried different joggler, same stick/image ... all ok until scan reaches 'J' in artists, around file 19500 ... then joggler reboots by itself

one observation I have noticed is that the heat sink warmer than has been the norm. I have noticed also that when attaching usb hub the screen lights up slightly even though joggler power supply not yet attached

head is melted lol

M
castalla

Post by castalla »

Getting menus in mixed languages is a good sign that Squeezeplay is being registered at mysb.com with a mac address belonging to another user. I saw this some time ago. Try deregistering (it's a menu option somewhere) and reregistering - or simply don't register at all.

Is the usb hub a powered one? Try a non-powered hub.
Error

Post by Error »

agreed with castalla.
I deleted all other jogglers which i don't own and now my language is just my language instead of a combination with Dansk :mrgreen:
coelhonet

Post by coelhonet »

Hello!

First, thanks for your great work. From what I can see, it'll give my "Joggler" a new life. In fact, I don't have a O2 Joggler branded a my hands, instead it's a Telefonica Orby (Brazil) which is samething from better I could read on the forum.

So, I tried first your USB version and I'm tempted to go over internal memory version (I can see I have 2GB MMC inside), however wondering if I should take a backup on what's inside my internal memory (I can see there are firmware for O2 Joggler, but none so far for Telefonica Orby), just in case something goes wrong.

I can see that SqueezePlayOS is exactly what you described, so just me and Squeeze. I'm thinking about setting up something else, but don't know if they fit on purpose of your project:
- cups (I don't think it's a problem, runs on background, lightweight)
- dlna enabled (so I can send a picture or video to stream, but in this case, I think I can have a conflict with SqueezePlay GUI)
- alarm clock (I think only option I can see is a standard clock, I'd think off waking up with music)

Maybe I can think in something else, but honestly, I can say it's a great start for my little unit.

Last, wondering if there's someway I can help on translation to Portuguese. Not sure if there are a lot of us out there running Joggler like units, but who knows?

I'll take a look on other projects around, but I think yours is the only one that enables me writing to internal memory, so closer to what I'm looking for.

Thanks once again!
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

head still melted guys ....

new stick, new joggler, new copy of library on reformatted hdd, new unpowered usb hub ....

all boots up correctly, is displaying English only etc but scan still terminates unexpectedly as the joggler goes through a series of unsolicited reboots ...

MD
castalla

Post by castalla »

Is the scan failing at the same point - you earlier said J ?

If so, then there may be a rogue file throwing the system into a fit. Have yu been able to look at the scanning log?
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

yup, in the J's again ......

what would I be looking for! .... same hdd scans perfectly on several pc/laptops running LMS

M