SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by Man in a van »

@Berns

So I have a Joggler with sqpos303 installed and the EDO applet on the internal memory

I do:

Code: Select all

sudo sed -i.bak 's/ubuntu.datahop.net/archive.ubuntu.com/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-libidn-perl libnet-ssleay-perl libcrypt-openssl-rsa-perl lame

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/8.1/lms/51b8fe3afa8d51a8b8ca07eb580fd7676d7f825e/logitechmediaserver_8.1.2~1617513319_i386.deb 

sudo dpkg -i logitechmediaserver_8.1.2~1617513319_i386.deb 

sudo apt -f install
To LMS I add the following plugins

Material
Music and Artist Information
Radio Paradise
BBC Sounds
Radio France
and the updated HLS:- http://bpa-code.github.io/bpaplugins/re ... ls-v2.xml
All play through the attatched usb dac (Stoner Aqoustics).

This is safari on iphone, Material saved as a desktop shortcut (Tip: after configuring Material, save settings as "Default")

So the Joggler running 7.8.0 should be able to upgrade.

When I was running LMS on the Internal memory of the Joggler (along with Squeezeplay) I happened to mention my routine of upgrading on the slimdevices forum.

At that time (because of space limitations, it was not possible to download the new version, I used to purge the old and install the new, and then reconfigure).

A member on the forum (django) advised me to just do

sudo apt remove logitmediaserver
This removed most of the build but left the preferences (and I think, the cache).

hope this helps

ronnie

remember to remove the lms file you downloaded :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

This is great; I've not used LMS for quite some time now, but I'm really pleased it can be brought up to the newest version. Kudos to the LMS team for keeping the 32-bit versions ticking and to @Man in a van for keeping everyone informed! Given the extended support for Ubuntu 18.04 through to 2028 it bodes really nicely for the next decade of Joggler use! 8-)

Mine are all automation / camera displays or AirPlay receivers at the moment. Thankfully the server which builds the vanilla OpenFrame images wasn't involved in the recent OVH fire (we're in Roubaix, not Strasbourg). :lol:
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jkn

Post by jkn »

I have an associated question/problem to the one above, though not exactly the same...

I have a couple of jogglers with sqpos303, connecting to a home NAS running logitechmediaserver. This all works fine, even though the server version is old:

$ yum list logitechmediaserver
    logitechmediaserver.noarch                                                       1:7.9.1-0.6.20170928git1508251793.fc20
Recently, I have been trying to install LMS on a newer server, so that I can swap out the old NAS. The installation goes fine (I can used the LMS web interface etc.), but when I try to swap the 'remote library' on the joggler to the new server, I get the same error as a few posts above "<server> has to be upgraded to a newer version...".

This can't be right, I *am* installing newer versions. I've tried three so far:

logitechmediaserver_7.9.4~1603273368_amd64.deb
logitechmediaserver_8.0.1~1608617100_amd64.deb
logitechmediaserver_8.2.0~1618550339_amd64.deb
Any idea what the problem might be here? Is the joggler getting confused trying to switch between servers running different versions, and giving a duff error message?

I s'pose it should be noted that these are AMD64 versions...

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jon N
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

@jkn

Maybe try pulling the power on the Joggler and leaving it for 24 hours, then power up and try again ? :geek:
jkn

Post by jkn »

Man in a van wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:52 pm @jkn

Maybe try pulling the power on the Joggler and leaving it for 24 hours, then power up and try again ? :geek:
Hi - TBH I had thought of that, it's finding the right 'domestically acceptable' time...

FWIW I also tried to remove the current 'active' server, so that I could start from scratch as it were. But the joggler UI doesn't seem to allow that.

I'll try some version of the above and report back...

Cheers, J^n
Paul Webster

Post by Paul Webster »

When LMS player connects to LMS it is told the version of the LMS it is connecting to.
There is a bug in the version comparison check that is made by the Squeezeplay in SQPOS303 which leads to it incorrectly reporting that it cannot work with versions of LMS 8 and higher.

I have posted a fix Squeezeplay for that (it is here somewhere) but you should not need it ...

There is a patch to LMS that looks at the version number of the player and then reports a fake LMS version number back to it so that the player bug is side-stepped. This was done because the buggy version of Squeezeplay is in some real Squeezebox hardware.

I said that you should not need the Squeezeplay patch because the LMS patch is in recent LMS 8.1 and 8.2 ... so double check that your LMS builds are recent (patch to LMS was earlier this year I think).

If that is not the problem then have a dig around this forum for my Squeezeplay patch. It is a few lines to copy/paste in one file. To do it you simply SSH to the Joggler and edit the file then restart Squeezeplay.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Paul Webster wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:17 am When LMS player connects to LMS it is told the version of the LMS it is connecting to.
There is a bug in the version comparison check that is made by the Squeezeplay in SQPOS303 which leads to it incorrectly reporting that it cannot work with versions of LMS 8 and higher.

I have posted a fix Squeezeplay for that (it is here somewhere) but you should not need it ...

There is a patch to LMS that looks at the version number of the player and then reports a fake LMS version number back to it so that the player bug is side-stepped. This was done because the buggy version of Squeezeplay is in some real Squeezebox hardware.

I said that you should not need the Squeezeplay patch because the LMS patch is in recent LMS 8.1 and 8.2 ... so double check that your LMS builds are recent (patch to LMS was earlier this year I think).

If that is not the problem then have a dig around this forum for my Squeezeplay patch. It is a few lines to copy/paste in one file. To do it you simply SSH to the Joggler and edit the file then restart Squeezeplay.
Hi Paul
thanks, that's really useful information.

I did try pretty recent 8.x versions of LMS, so I would have expected that they would have contained the patch you mention. Also, the current version I am failing to connect to is 7.9.4, so I would have thought this situation wouldn't apply. Nevertheless it gives me some pointers ... perhaps I have not uninstalled something properly. I'll experiment a bit and also look for the SQPOS patch you mention.

(I tried leaving the joggler off overnight and disabling the original server etc, but still got the error when attempting to connect to the new server this morning).

Cheers, J^n
jkn

Post by jkn »

Update - I seem to have got this sorted. I did a more full clearout of LMS on the new server (dpkg --purge, and then got rid of /var/lib/logitechmediaserver IIRC), then reinstalled (7.9.4, good enough for me I think), and things seem to be OK.

I will take a look at 8.x later, after I've moved everything over...

Thanks, Jon N
gxb1011

Post by gxb1011 »

roobarb! wrote: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 pm Will the fun never cease!

Announcing SqueezePlay OS v3!
------------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - Version 3.03 - 15th January 2015
------------------------------------------------

As I'm sure you all know, SqueezePlay OS is a small Ubuntu installation designed to run SqueezePlay. You can download it, flash it to a USB stick, plug it into your Joggler and be up and running in no time. There are two versions; one for running from external USB devices and the other that can be written to the Joggler’s internal storage using the Reflash System.

We've finally made it up to Version 3! Once again, SqueezePlay itself is largely the same, but the operating system has been updated to the latest long-term service release from Ubuntu, known as Ubuntu Trusty (14.04). We're also on the latest stable kernel (3.18) which has brought improvements to the Joggler's built-in wireless card and should support an even wider range of external audio devices than before. Trusty has support from Ubuntu through to 2019.

Please check the changes below for details on how things have been modified.

Highlights:
  • Based on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Trusty) with Kernel 3.18.
  • Supports both OpenFrame 1 (Joggler) and OpenFrame 2 devices!
  • Can be installed to internal storage using the Reflash System.
  • Preinstalled OpenSSH Server.
  • Support for AirPlay.
  • Automated installation of Logitech Media Server on devices with sufficient space.
  • Easy network configuration from a SqueezePlay applet.
  • Supports Netgear WNDA3200 for dual band 2.4/5GHz 802.11n internal wireless.
  • Auto-mounting of USB storage devices.
  • Proper system startup and shutdown controls.
  • Full apt-get package management system underneath!
  • All of the features of SqueezePlay for OpenFrame, including the Update applet.
  • Settings applet for backlight level and display standby.
  • Settings applet for internal or external (USB) audio interface.
  • Fully compatible with remote control apps, eg. Squeezebox Remote.
Installation:

Full details are on my SqueezePlay OS for OpenFrame page.

Notes:
  • OpenSSH Server is installed and active by default.
SSH can be switched off by navigating Settings > Advanced > Additional Features > Secure Shell. The default username and password are:

Username: joggler
Password: joggler

To change the password, use the command:

passwd joggler
  • Kernel driver (gma500_gfx) is used for video.
A decision had to be made whether to use an older kernel with the Intel EMGD driver (which provides hardware accelerated video) or to use the latest kernel and its GMA500 driver. Being primarily an audio system, it was decided that better USB audio device support was more valuable. The Joggler is still perfectly capable of playing back 720p video, but higher resolutions will struggle. If video acceleration is a more important consideration for your project, I would recommend using one of BuZz's releases, which include Intel EMGD drivers and kernel 3.2.

Have fun! :)
Hi Roobarb, I am truly a newbie for Joggler and this fourm. I regret to know both of them so late. I reflashed your sqpOS303 and also EDO version for Joggler, veru happy to have a alternative for STB with such low cost. I am currently working on making Joggler a cheaper SBT, and I bought 5 second hand Jogglers since my frineds also want them. Since I am in China, it is very difficult to get refistered to be member of this fourm becaouse of reCAPTCHA cannot be loaded. Google is blocked by government in China. Anyway, now I am here.

First of all, I want to say thanks to your great efforts. Second, I wondering if you could update squeezeplay on sqp303, it is still a 7.7 version, I found for squeezeplay you have updated it to 7.8. If you are busy and no enough time to do so, could you pls provide a instruction for me to do it by self. Of course, I am defenitly not a software technician, maybe the instruction need be very specific :D

All the best wish to you from China!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

gxb1011 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 amHi Roobarb, I am truly a newbie for Joggler and this fourm. I regret to know both of them so late.
Better late than never! ;)
gxb1011 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 amI reflashed your sqpOS303 and also EDO version for Joggler, veru happy to have a alternative for STB with such low cost. I am currently working on making Joggler a cheaper SBT, and I bought 5 second hand Jogglers since my frineds also want them. Since I am in China, it is very difficult to get refistered to be member of this fourm becaouse of reCAPTCHA cannot be loaded. Google is blocked by government in China. Anyway, now I am here.
Ha, awesome! Where do you find Jogglers in China? Are they easy to come by? The heartbeat server does still get a fair amount of traffic from active OpenFrame 1 and OpenFrame 2 devices in China, or at least that's where the IPs appear to lead back to.
gxb1011 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 amFirst of all, I want to say thanks to your great efforts. Second, I wondering if you could update squeezeplay on sqp303, it is still a 7.7 version, I found for squeezeplay you have updated it to 7.8. If you are busy and no enough time to do so, could you pls provide a instruction for me to do it by self. Of course, I am defenitly not a software technician, maybe the instruction need be very specific :D
This is indeed the issue these days, I don't currently use SqueezePlay and I find very little time to dedicate to maintaining it. I do intend to make a "decoupled" squeezelite version, or whatever the latest thing is by that point, but I can't make any promises. I really need to complete the Debian Bullseye image first! The best pointer I can give is over to the Squeezebox Forums, but you're going to need to be comfortable compiling software from source code and providing instructions to do that... it's probably a longer job than just doing the work!

There are instructions on a squeezelite implementation on this forum though, have a search for "squeezelite" and I think there are some good pointers. I'll certainly be using them when I get around to doing something anyway! :D
gxb1011 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:24 amAll the best wish to you from China!
And likewise from the UK! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
cszhy

Post by cszhy »

hi ronnie. do you mean that its possible to install both the LMS and squeezeplay in the same joggler?thats exactly what I looking for. is the version 8.3 too big for the space?

通过我的 PCCM00 上的 Tapatalk发言

cszhy

Post by cszhy »

Paul Webster wrote:When LMS player connects to LMS it is told the version of the LMS it is connecting to.

recently I also met with that problem when connecting with daphile server.
thanks