SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:And again: Can you replicate this, or is that my system acting up?
Can't say I've noticed it, but I will take a look when I get home.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jogglerhase

SqueezePlay OS (V3) - joggler brightness and strange players

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:
jogglerhase wrote:And again: Can you replicate this, or is that my system acting up?
Hi roobarb!
Any chance to see, if this happens in your setup as well?
(Best seen when joggler is set to low (i.e. 10%) Backlight and then switch Squeezeplay off and then on again -> max brightness.)
A little annoying.

Another thing I want to mention:
Since updating to v300, strange Players populate my http://www.mysqueezebox.com account:
'kitchen', 'lounge' and others and a huge bunch (10+) of 'squeezeplayer' - all of them set to the UK timezone.
I deleted most of them from my account, but 'lounge' is still connected and refuses to unconnect.
Any ideas why that is and how to get rid of them?
('lounge' MAC adress: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:fe - is that yours by any chance?)

All the best, Heiner
roobarb!

Re: SqueezePlay OS (V3) - joggler brightness and strange pla

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:
roobarb! wrote:
Any chance to see, if this happens in your setup as well?
(Best seen when joggler is set to low (i.e. 10%) Backlight and then switch Squeezeplay off and then on again -> max brightness.)
A little annoying.
Yes, I'm seeing that too. Might need to be a kernel driver fix, though I can think of a quicker, simpler and cheekier way of temporarily sorting it.
jogglerhase wrote:Since updating to v300, strange Players populate my http://www.mysqueezebox.com account:
'kitchen', 'lounge' and others and a huge bunch (10+) of 'squeezeplayer' - all of them set to the UK timezone.
I deleted most of them from my account, but 'lounge' is still connected and refuses to unconnect.
Any ideas why that is and how to get rid of them?
('lounge' MAC adress: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:fe - is that yours by any chance?)
That is weird. I've never named any of my test units 'lounge' and that MAC doesn't relate to anything I know (though it could have been auto-generated). I do remember seeing weird players in my own mysqueezebox.com account some time ago, but I ditched it and haven't used it for well over a year. All of the configuration, MAC addresses and the like are erased from the image before distribution; in fact, the new images would never have had SqueezePlay configured on them at all.

Most odd.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

The weird players phenomenon was something I've seen before - if your joggler gets the same mac as somebody else's then theirs will appear in your account. I assume they also 'see' your joggler!
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

I have the backlight issue too. Apart from that it seems great, thanks!
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:....
Yes, I'm seeing that [brightness issue] too. Might need to be a kernel driver fix, though I can think of a quicker, simpler and cheekier way of temporarily sorting it.
jogglerhase wrote:Since updating to v300, strange Players populate my http://www.mysqueezebox.com account:
.....Any ideas why that is and how to get rid of them?.....
That is weird...... All of the configuration, MAC addresses and the like are erased from the image before distribution; in fact, the new images would never have had SqueezePlay configured on them at all.
Most odd.
Hi roobarb!, all;
I have some feedback from Michael Herger (great guy & last man standing at Logitech for Squeezebox-System) from the slimdevices Forum on this issue:
mherger wrote:....ich glaube, wir haben da langsam ein Problem mit all den Software-Playern: ich weiss nicht, wie die ihre UUID erstellen, aber es gab da tatsächlich zwei registrierte Player (beides keine Squeezeboxen), welche dieselbe UUID verwendeten, nicht aber dieselbe IP Adresse. Da wir die UUID höher werten als die MAC Adresse, kam es zu einem Konflikt mit deinem Player.....Dann müssen wir ev. Software-Player vom Zugang zu mysb.com sperren...
Basically, he says that we get into a problem with all the software-players on mysb.com, as these have randomly generated MAC and UUID flags, so errors can occur when 2 software players get identical flags. Only fix is to ban software players from mysb.com.
Just some background info - I don't think it is a big problem to not have access to mysb.com, since the days of that site are probably counted - as Logitech stopped the Squeezebox family a while ago and most of use use teh players via LMS.

Coming back to the Joggler Brightness issue: If you find a patch that would be great! Even greater, if this patch could be a tweak on the existing v300 System (i.e. copy a file, ...) instead of a complete new install......

All the best,
Heiner
castalla

Post by castalla »

Dann müssen wir ev. Software-Player vom Zugang zu mysb.com sperren...
Hmmm .... maybe it would have been better to leave Logitech out of this! All you did was alert them to softplayer use.
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

castalla wrote:
Dann müssen wir ev. Software-Player vom Zugang zu mysb.com sperren...
Hmmm .... maybe it would have been better to leave Logitech out of this! All you did was alert them to softplayer use.
Hi castalla;
I needed to contact Micheal (not just anybody at Logitach), because only he could kill that stray player in their DB, so it did not mess up my (and probably someone elses) account.
Also, he is one of the 'good guys', doing what is best for the squeezebox community - i.e. he continues to develop LMS now more in an open source fashion, so that midterm we don't need mysb.com at all when using LMS. Also keeping the DB clean helps all of us using this service.

Best,
Heiner
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Hmmm .... maybe it would have been better to leave Logitech out of this! All you did was alert them to softplayer use.
They know soft players are in use all over the shop - they did write them, after all! :)

To be honest, I've been considering making the mysqueezebox.com option vanish from SqueezePlay altogether; it's never really worked and the only way to hook up to it even vaguely reliably is to use LMS. It's still a bit chicken-and-egg with the first setup if you don't already have LMS installed somewhere, though.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Couldn't you just delete the player from your mysb account? That's what I did when I got spurious players listed.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:Coming back to the Joggler Brightness issue: If you find a patch that would be great! Even greater, if this patch could be a tweak on the existing v300 System (i.e. copy a file, ...) instead of a complete new install......
Mmm. Can't promise that, I'm afraid! Though, if it is a kernel thing, I can tell you how to replace it on your system.

I'm going back to the kernel backlight code and having a look at why it's hitting full brightness when reinitialised. My quick fix works just fine, so that exists in case it's needed, but I'd rather have it fixed properly.
castalla

Post by castalla »

roobarb! wrote:
castalla wrote:Hmmm .... maybe it would have been better to leave Logitech out of this! All you did was alert them to softplayer use.
They know soft players are in use all over the shop - they did write them, after all! :)

To be honest, I've been considering making the mysqueezebox.com option vanish from SqueezePlay altogether; it's never really worked and the only way to hook up to it even vaguely reliably is to use LMS. It's still a bit chicken-and-egg with the first setup if you don't already have LMS installed somewhere, though.
All it needs is somebody new to be appointed imbued with the 'managing change' ethic and the whole kit'n'kaboodle is likely to disappear! Better not to give 'em any clues!

I discovered by trial and error not to try accessing mysb.com on first setup (as it invariably fails).
pete

Post by pete »

I never pay attention but just looked at my account. It shows my LMS and 5 SP's.

The above noted also checked my firewall and I have anything related to SB off / disabled.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:
jogglerhase wrote:Coming back to the Joggler Brightness issue: ..........
...... My quick fix works just fine, so that exists in case it's needed, but I'd rather have it fixed properly.
Hi roobarb!
Would you be willing to share your quickfix?
I would like to use it until a proper fix is available.
(It really bothers me when I tab on the dark Joggler in the evening and it blasts me with full brightness....)
;-)

Heiner
dammy

Post by dammy »

Hi all, I have a problem, user error :). I've tried to install squeezeplayer on the internal memory and by mistake i've flashed it with the reflashing tool image. I've tried again with the correct image and it just says "no valid image found" .I can still boot the joggler from the USB with other images. Is there anyway to fix this issue i've created.

David

USB stick am using is working. I've just tried it on my second joggler and it's flashed internally without any issues.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

dammy wrote:Hi all, I have a problem, user error :). I've tried to install squeezeplayer on the internal memory and by mistake i've flashed it with the reflashing tool image. I've tried again with the correct image and it just says "no valid image found" .I can still boot the joggler from the USB with other images. Is there anyway to fix this issue i've created.
Ah. Your boot system is looking for the reflash system to boot. And it's finding it - on your internal memory. In a way that's pretty cool, but also, useless. You're going to need a keyboard.

Let the reflash system boot (whichever one!) with a keyboard attached to the Joggler's USB port. When prompted to 'press a key for the command line', do so. At the command line, issue this command:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M
Let it run for about 10-15 seconds and the hit CTRL-C to cancel. Then switch off the Joggler (don't bother shutting down) and power back on with the reflash system USB stick attached.

What you're doing here is using the internally-flashed reflash system to destroy it's partitioning information. That way the USB stick should get a look in when booting. Good luck!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jogglerhase wrote:Would you be willing to share your quickfix?
Sure. Run this:

nano /opt/squeezeplay/bin/backlightfix.sh
Copy and paste this:

#!/bin/bash

while true; do

ACTUAL=`cat /sys/devices/platform/openframe-bl/backlight/openframe-bl/actual_brightness`
	BRIGHT=`cat /sys/devices/platform/openframe-bl/backlight/openframe-bl/brightness`

[ $ACTUAL = $BRIGHT ] || echo $BRIGHT > /sys/devices/platform/openframe-bl/backlight/openframe-bl/brightness

sleep 1

done
CTRL-X, save it. Then:

chmod +x /opt/squeezeplay/bin/backlightfix.sh
nano ~/.xinit
Add the following line above the /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh command (within the if / then statement):

/opt/squeezeplay/bin/backlightfix.sh &
Reboot.

Told you it was a quick and dirty fix. The backlight will still come on full, but only for a second - it will then dim to the correct level.
dammy

Post by dammy »

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply. It's now installing. much appreciated.

David
jogglerhase

Post by jogglerhase »

roobarb! wrote:
jogglerhase wrote:Would you be willing to share your quickfix?
Sure. Run this:

....nano ~/.xinit
Add the following line above the /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh command (within the if / then statement):

/opt/squeezeplay/bin/backlightfix.sh &
Reboot.
Thank you for the quick feedback, roobarb!
Works like a charm!
I just want to point out a tiny typo, in case others want to follow: This file is the one that should be edited:

/home/joggler/.xinitrc
where this:

if [ -f /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh ]; then
is changed to this:

if /opt/squeezeplay/bin/backlightfix.sh & [ -f /opt/squeezeplay/bin/squeezeplay.sh ]; then
... and I am back with a dimmed display - Thanks again for your help & patience, roobarb!
Heiner
Error

Post by Error »

Hi,

i have problems with v3: it boots, I see O2 logo then squeezeplay briefly, then O2 again and then squeezeplay again, then screen goes dark and nothing happens anymore.
It isn't my new stick since I just booted in SqPOSv1 without problems.

Any thoughts?