SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
castalla

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by castalla »

No idea - sorry
roughlychiron

Post by roughlychiron »

curiouser and curiouser .... new Spotify 'protocol' happily playing via LMS on joggler but I had to revert back to good 'old' triode method for LMS on netbook ..... in fact the 'old' method was fine via joggler also ...

anybody else finding that things just seemed to have gone back to normal?
Dean

Post by Dean »

For ages I've had issues with the screen off screensaver. Whenever the joggler is unattended and the screen turns off, it doesn't actually turn off properly, the screen just goes black. If I turn off the screen with the 'off' button on the main screen the screen turns off correctly.
I've reinstalled thinking I made some changes a few years back but that still didn't help.

Any ideas?
joggly

Post by joggly »

when I thought there's no more life left on joggler and toying with idea to flog in ebay, suddenly it found a whole new dimensions with LMS,chromecast audio via castbrige plugin, youtube plugin and android apps. Well TBH, I'm very very impressed with this little sturdy thing that simply refuses to die. Only problem I'm having is reading media files from USB. Not sure what I need to do but thought it's auto mounting.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

joggly wrote: Only problem I'm having is reading media files from USB. Not sure what I need to do but thought it's auto mounting.

Well, I'm not sure what to do either. :?

If you have LMS installed on the Joggler then the USB might auto-mount and be found under Media.

I have, in the past, had a 64gb usb stick with Sqpos external, an extended root with LMS installed and the remainder partitioned with a Folder containing Music Files. However, I'm now of the age that I can't remember how I mounted the folder, I think I just navigated to it through LMS >Settings >Basic Settings >Media Folders >Browse

If LMS is installed elsewhere, then maybe you have to mount the USB there.

Hopefully someone who is sure will come along :roll:

atb

Ronnie
Last edited by Man in a van on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Dean wrote:For ages I've had issues with the screen off screensaver. Whenever the joggler is unattended and the screen turns off, it doesn't actually turn off properly, the screen just goes black. If I turn off the screen with the 'off' button on the main screen the screen turns off correctly.
I've reinstalled thinking I made some changes a few years back but that still didn't help.

Any ideas?
Well I never use the off button.

I always either pause or just leave the Joggler be.

I have a clock selected under Screen > Screen savers for "when stopped", no other selection made.

Ronnie.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I'm re setting up 3 Jogglers for sync play music , kitchen , bedroom , man cave with SPos and I had them all working great on wireless after first plugging in Ethernet ( only way it would work )
One my wife switched off in the kitchen immediately died and another I accidental switched off also died , stuck on squeeze play screen both of them :-( .
Obviously the os has to be shut down correctly , I think I worked that out but I'm wondering if I make an image of one of the set up sticks with wireless configured etc would that work to build say three new sticks and have them work ? What I mean is would they conflict with each others IP or Mac etc ?

What do other people do ?
Happy Joggling
fattybacon

Post by fattybacon »

hawsey wrote: Obviously the os has to be shut down correctly , I think I worked that out but I'm wondering if I make an image of one of the set up sticks with wireless configured etc would that work to build say three new sticks and have them work ? What I mean is would they conflict with each others IP or Mac etc ?

What do other people do ?
That sounds good, i don't imagine the MAC address is hard-coded into the wifi config, so you could get your router to either allocate an IP address by DHCP or if you prefer static IPs then I'm sure you could configure them one at a time to identify the MAC address the first time you connect them.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks , that's what I did before I pulled the plug and broke two of the sticks , so I've just re built the two sticks and will set them up tonight .
At the minute I only want access to my LMS stuff at home and access to radio 6 which I can find with a simple search on each device , do I need each joggler logged on to squeeze play.com server to work properly ?
Happy Joggling
joggly

Post by joggly »

Man in a van wrote:
joggly wrote: Only problem I'm having is reading media files from USB. Not sure what I need to do but thought it's auto mounting.

If you have LMS installed on the Joggler then the USB might auto-mount and be found under Media.

I have, in the past, had a 64gb usb stick with Sqpos external, an extended root with LMS installed and the remainder partitioned with a Folder containing Music Files. However, I'm now of the age that I can't remember how I mounted the folder, I think I just navigated to it through LMS >Settings >Basic Settings >Media Folders >Browse

If LMS is installed elsewhere, then maybe you have to mount the USB there.

Hopefully someone who is sure will come along :roll:

atb

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie. Tried multiple times and it doesn't work. Using "lsblk" in command, I can see that USB is not getting any mount point. But if I mount manually and scan the folder in LMS server, then can play media.

Not sure if this is already posted but if anyone is struggling to connect to mysqueezebox.com online service first time after installation, then first connect to local LMS network (mine was desktop). After successful connection, Settings->Registration & Settings ->Reset All Settings to Default -> reboot. Re enter mysqueezebox.com login details. Yesterday after each fresh re-install, I was able to connect in first attempt.
joggly

Post by joggly »

hawsey wrote:Thanks , that's what I did before I pulled the plug and broke two of the sticks , so I've just re built the two sticks and will set them up tonight .
At the minute I only want access to my LMS stuff at home and access to radio 6 which I can find with a simple search on each device , do I need each joggler logged on to squeeze play.com server to work properly ?
For me, I never managed to connect to online mysqueezebox.com service after fresh install. If you struggle, I've just posted above the way I've managed to do and pls let us know if you're successful. Don't think online logitech service is necessary for joggler as long you've running LMS on local network. Problem for me is my desktop is not always on and needed the online services for radio.

Exact same reason my joggler was sitting on dark corner for long. One day wify just unplugged and it refused to go past boot screen & lost interest due to having no time.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Yep my Wifey is very keen on unplugging / switching off everything slightly resembling a gadget (hair straighteners are exempt )
Once I get the set up I want , I am going to take an image of one of the sticks and store it safe :-)
Happy Joggling
joggly

Post by joggly »

women.....the only thing that the god created all equal :lol:. They behave and think same regardless from any corner of the world :mrgreen:

Anyway went through all the posts here regarding USB automount and found nothing :(
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I got my 3 Jogglers all synced up with SqPos and they work great :-)
At the minute my LMS is on my Acer Revo PC with my media ( music etc) on a External HDD attached to a BT Home Hub 5 in another location in the house .
I think I would like the LMS on another Joggler but with the media left where it is , what are other people using ?
I was thinking maybe XUbuntu running the LMS or even this SqueezePlay OS what would be the best ?
I would like to be able to turn the screen off completely when not in use .
Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

LMS runs fine on the Joggler - do a command-line install using the latest 7.9 nightly. You'll need to set up a mount point for the HDD.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks castalla , I think I need a GUI though , I'm not really up on command line stuff , would it be easy to add a GUI to this Os ? That would probably be more lightweight than full Xubuntu I'm thinking .
Happy Joggling
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

hawsey wrote:Thanks castalla , I think I need a GUI though , I'm not really up on command line stuff , would it be easy to add a GUI to this Os ? That would probably be more lightweight than full Xubuntu I'm thinking .
Why not put LMS on a raspberry?

Attach the drive to the pi.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Cheers , that would be the easiest solution I suppose and I have got a spare Pi in the man drawer but I really wanted the HDD to stay on the router as its on all the time anyway plus I would like a screen for LMS and the main TV (where it will he sited ) is often in use when I want to tinker .
Need my thinking cap on .8-)
Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:Cheers , that would be the easiest solution I suppose and I have got a spare Pi in the man drawer but I really wanted the HDD to stay on the router as its on all the time anyway plus I would like a screen for LMS and the main TV (where it will he sited ) is often in use when I want to tinker .
What do you mean by a screen for LMS? What's the TV got to do with it?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

hawsey wrote:Cheers , that would be the easiest solution I suppose and I have got a spare Pi in the man drawer but I really wanted the HDD to stay on the router as its on all the time anyway plus I would like a screen for LMS and the main TV (where it will he sited ) is often in use when I want to tinker .
You can set LMS up on a pi, and access it on the Revo pc whenever you want to tinker (you little old hacker, you ;) )

Which model pi do you have?

There are a number of options for the OS on the pi, easiest is Max2play.

If you just want to set up a pi with hard drive and only upgrade the LMS occasionally, then a Raspbian Jessie Lite is enough, or full Jessie.

If you tell me how your hard drive is formatted, which pi you have, I can knock up an image for you to burn (need the size of the SD card).

I'll post a link to my MediaFire account to download when its done, expect a day or so.

atb

Ronnie.