SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by Man in a van »

roobarb! wrote:Next time I get around to doing an update, I'll be changing things to use LMS v7.9 - I use it myself and it's been fine.

Sorry I'm not getting much time to chat, but things are pretty wild at this end just now!

That's just Madchester
castalla

Post by castalla »

roobarb! wrote:Next time I get around to doing an update, I'll be changing things to use LMS v7.9 - I use it myself and it's been fine.

Sorry I'm not getting much time to chat, but things are pretty wild at this end just now!
More useful than a change to 7.9, would be to include an option to resize the partition (squeezeplug has it as a menu option). This would avoid newbies attempting to install LMS and then discovering it eats space to the point where the whole system falls over. No?

My 2 cents worth.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:
Man in a van wrote:vinnie,

Right, found an external 16 Gb usb stick.

Do you want EDO on the Squeezeplay?

Also, do you want LMS v7.9 and would you like me to configure the LMS with the BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer Extra plugins, Spotify, Podcasts, NPR, or do you want to do that yourself?
Ooh, 16. Overkill! Thanks, anyway! How much did that cost you?
I'm unfamiliar with EDO and what it's for. Would I need a USB soundcard with optical out?

LMS for sure, please... that's what's been my stumbling block.
All the other plugins I can do from the web interface once LMS is set up.

Thanks in advance.

Vinnie, All done now.

PM your address and I'll pop it in the post.

I have put v7.9 on, if you only want v7.8 tell me and I'll change it. Left EDO off.

atb

Ronnie.
palindrom

Post by palindrom »

Meza wrote:No it's not hidden actually. I left the joggler on for a few hours, and when I came back it had picked up an IP address. It then wouldn't connect to my LMS server. I rebooted and it seems OK now, able to get IP and connect and play music.

Just needed a little time on it's own to settle it seems!
Just bare in Mind, that the MAC Address for Ethernet connection is different from the WLAN MAC address. If the IP for WLAN is the same as the one you assigned to Ethernet you Network (switch) needs some time to settle.
This might explain the time needed to connect via WLAN.
mattg

Post by mattg »

Just a quick update on wireless issues I was having a while back (dropping off wireless network regularly and even scripting failed to fix only option reboot).

Well I finally fixed it! I rolled back to v206 of this wonderful build supplied by roobarb! to be honest, I haven't noticed any negatives with the older version.

Thanks roobarb! again for such a great solution, my home life and house would be a different place and less music filled, without your help.
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

Hi there,

I've done the spdif mod with the guide from here. But I'm getting nothing out of spdif, still just sound from internal speakers. I connected via putty and unmuted spdif and spdif def?

Is that really all I need to do?

So to confirm i'm running squeezeplay os on a usb stick, and I think the joggler is probably on old firmware.

Any help would be super :)

I did see this "edit usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf " but it says I don't have write access to it, I believe there I can set the sound device.

Cheers
castalla

Post by castalla »

You probably need root access.

Login via putty. Type

passwd root

Enter a root password (twice) - there's no feedback so make the password easy to type.

Logout

Login again as user root and new root password.
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

tried that but it says "You may not view or modify password information for root." ?
gegs

Post by gegs »

Does the 'passwd' command need root permissions? Maybe 'sudo passwd root' - I'm just guessing here.
Hank_Marvin

Post by Hank_Marvin »

I'll leave it, its working......somehow.....possible dodgy optical cable :)
castalla

Post by castalla »

gegs wrote:Does the 'passwd' command need root permissions? Maybe 'sudo passwd root' - I'm just guessing here.
Can't do any harm to use sudo ...
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Spotify Client on SqueezePlay OS

I currently use Spotify on my Joggler thanks to the Triode plugin on a local Logitech Media Server. However, the original Spotify client provides a much better user experience (nowadays a smartphone spotify app can remotely control another spotify client, and that's truly amazing!).
I managed to install the latest version of the spotify client for linux on SqueezePlay OS. By modifying the .xinitrc file I was also able to start the spotify client instead of SqueezePlay. The problem is that, when the login screen appears, there is no touch keyboard to enter username and password. Is there a way to run a touch keyboard?
It would also be nice to switch back and forth between SqueezePlay client and Spotify client. How could this be done?

Roobarb, it would be great to run an external application within SqueezePlay simply using the menu. Thank you for your great work!
castalla

Post by castalla »

Strange - if I type

apt-get update

then all I get is a list of non-reachable sources

I'm sure this used to work previously.

How can I check which version of SqpOs I have installed?
gegs

Post by gegs »

papaiannis wrote:Spotify Client on SqueezePlay OS...

...The problem is that, when the login screen appears, there is no touch keyboard to enter username and password. Is there a way to run a touch keyboard?
Does a real keyboard work? Have you tried running the OS from a USB hub with a keyboard attached? If it works you should only need to do it once because you can ask the Spotify client to remember your login details.

The Spotify client for Android works well on ICS for the Joggler but there is only analogue sound through the 3.5mm socket.
papaiannis wrote:(nowadays a smartphone spotify app can remotely control another spotify client, and that's truly amazing!)
Controlling Squeezeplay (including Spotify) from a smartphone is pretty easy and you can sync devices, using the phone as controller for all of them. I use Squeeze Ctrl on Android which is great on the phone and even better on a tablet. On iOS you can use iPeng and Squeezepad. You can also use the free Logitech controller app for Android or iOS.
Last edited by gegs on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:Strange - if I type

apt-get update

then all I get is a list of non-reachable sources

I'm sure this used to work previously.
I think the sources have been taken offline. Very irritating. You'll need to replace the sources that were:

Code: Select all

http://ubuntu.datahop.net/ubuntu/
with:

Code: Select all

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
Then give it another update and you should be good. I'll be swapping back to the ubuntu.com sources if I ever get around to sorting another release.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thanks!
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Hi gegs, thank you for answering.
gegs wrote: Does a real keyboard work? Have you tried running the OS from a USB hub with a keyboard attached?
I'll give this a try.
gegs wrote:The Spotify client for Android works well on ICS for the Joggler but there is only analogue sound through the 3.5mm socket.
I want to start either SqueezePlay or Spotify from SqPOS, having the possibility to go back and forth.
By the way, do you know if the spdif interface works on ICS (I currently use my Joggler with coaxial SPDIF) ?
gegs wrote: Controlling Squeezeplay (including Spotify) from a smartphone is pretty easy and you can sync devices, using the phone as controller for all of them.
I currently use OrangeSqueeze and I'm happy with it. From this app I can activate the Spotify app and it works pretty well, but the original Spotify application is more pleasant to use and can be synched with MusixMatch (song lyrics).

Alekos
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Spotify client on SqPOS
gegs wrote: Does a real keyboard work? Have you tried running the OS from a USB hub with a keyboard attached?
Yes, this works, thanks a lot !
I entered username and password using a keyboard attached to a USB hub (which also hosts the SqPOS pendrive). After the first login, there's no need to enter credentials again if the "store username and password" option has been set. The spdif interface works fine; I don't know if the USB audio interface works.

Now I would like to switch between SqueezePlay and Spotify. Any suggestions?

NOTE: to avoid hijacking this thread, I will open a new thread describing how to install the Spotify client on SqPOS.

Alekos
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I need a squeezebox app to launch a shell script.
Are there guidelines for developers of apps?
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

papaiannis wrote:I need a squeezebox app to launch a shell script.
Are there guidelines for developers of apps?
Nope, but if you look at applets directory, you'll find plenty of examples of menu items which fire off shell scripts - that's pretty much how most of the SqueezePlay / Ubuntu integration works.

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, I've not died. I've just got a new job and a baby on the way, so things are in turmoil right now!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)