SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
marctwo

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by marctwo »

I had the same problem. Is your SSID hidden?
Meza

Post by Meza »

No it's not hidden actually. I left the joggler on for a few hours, and when I came back it had picked up an IP address. It then wouldn't connect to my LMS server. I rebooted and it seems OK now, able to get IP and connect and play music.

Just needed a little time on it's own to settle it seems!
marctwo

Post by marctwo »

Glad you got it sorted.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Does anybody know if 5.1 sound is achievable from the Joggler using a Behringer USB soundcard?

Listening to Quadrophenia using Triode's Spotify plugin and several of the tracks are marked as 5.1 sound mixes. Unfortunately, the audio is only stereo, even though it's connected by S/PDIF to a 5.1 capable digital receiver.

Of course, the listing on Spotify could be wrong; it wouldn't be the first time.

--EDIT--
I did check several Spotify forums where it said 5.1 wasn't supported but wondered if anything had changed (due to the '5.1 mix' information given on track listings.) They're probably stereo downmixes and someone's been too lazy to edit the track info to remove the 5.1 sound description.
Meza

Post by Meza »

Continuing the wifi theme...
I have it connected by wifi now but playback is choppy through Spotify with lots of buffering.

Is it possible to see information about wifi signal strength or connection speed?

Is the joggler wifi antenna known to be any good? Using my Android phone in exactly the same location and I can get decent signal and performance with Squeezeplayer (android app) playing the same songs on the same network.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Meza ,
the joggler wifi is not known for its strength and big improvements can be made by swapping it out for a bought one , I am not using Squeezeplay os at the moment so others will tell you better which one to get .
I just know that using the in built one with Xubuntu / xbmc mine was flakey , this was solved by replacing the internal USB dongle with an Edimax wireless N one .
Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

I recall some suggestion from way back that switching your router wifi to channel 8 might make a difference! No idea why - I tried it and my Joggler was able to connect whereas on other channels it failed to connect. Computer voodoo, but worth a try ....
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

gegs wrote:Try with a bigger USB stick than 2GB (heck, do they still make 'em that small?)
I use 8GB Sandisk ones and I've not had a problem installing LMS.
Just had another go with a 4GB stick and when trying to install LMS I'm getting the error:
Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/logitechmediaserver_7.8.0_all.deb
Having done a search on this forum, it seems the Linux partition may be a bit small.
Is there an image file that can be downloaded that's suitable for 4GB sticks with a partition big enough?
I've spent a good number of hours trying various bits of software such as Minitool Partition Wizard and Paragon Partition Manager and they both refuse to make my ext2 partition any larger.
GParted seems a bit complicated to use.
I'm surprised not many people have noticed this issue with the lack of space.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:
gegs wrote:Try with a bigger USB stick than 2GB (heck, do they still make 'em that small?)
I use 8GB Sandisk ones and I've not had a problem installing LMS.
Just had another go with a 4GB stick and when trying to install LMS I'm getting the error:
Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/logitechmediaserver_7.8.0_all.deb
Having done a search on this forum, it seems the Linux partition may be a bit small.
Is there an image file that can be downloaded that's suitable for 4GB sticks with a partition big enough?
I've spent a good number of hours trying various bits of software such as Minitool Partition Wizard and Paragon Partition Manager and they both refuse to make my ext2 partition any larger.
GParted seems a bit complicated to use.
I'm surprised not many people have noticed this issue with the lack of space.

Easy peaseywith Gparted.

Get a couple of sticks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-16GB-D ... 396&sr=1-9

Use your 4gb for gparted.

I found out how to do it here on this forum somewhere.

If you can't work it out I'll do a guide (not just now though) or PM me your address and I'll post a preconfigured stick to you.

atb

Ronnie.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

OK, I've now reluctantly used GParted and have managed to get 3GB on my Linux partition.
Unfortunately, I'm still getting the errors on installation of LMS.
Photo of log attached.

Any other ideas?
Attachments
20150615_221532_Knella Green.jpg
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:OK, I've now reluctantly used GParted and have managed to get 3GB on my Linux partition.
Unfortunately, I'm still getting the errors on installation of LMS.
Photo of log attached.

Any other ideas?

Well, as It has previously been possible to load LMS on the Joggler internal ram, and those version onto an external stick without using gparted, you gotta be doin somtink wrong.

Whynot reformat the stick (HP Tool) and install the external image again.

There is no reason why it shoulld not work,atall :roll:
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Well, if you could get me a pre-configured SqueezePlay OS 4GB stick (with unallocated space made available for music storage), then there could be a beer in it for you! :)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

I'll do a stick in the next few days. I'll post back when it's ready.

I don't know how you will point LMS at a Music Folder on a different partition on the stick.

I presume you want a USB stick (I'll use one of 16Gb that I linked to) which will contain a boot partition (by default), a root partition.also by default (expanded to allow room for future upgrades, say 4GB), a partition for your music Folder and maybe a swap partition (2GB maybe) (whatever and however that works :P ).

I know there used to be thread about substituting a USB Hard Disk instead of a USB Stick during the installation procedure for a previous version.

I'll do a search.

let me know what you think.

atb

Ronnie.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote: I presume you want a USB stick (I'll use one of 16Gb that I linked to) which will contain a boot partition (by default), a root partition.also by default (expanded to allow room for future upgrades, say 4GB), a partition for your music Folder and maybe a swap partition (2GB maybe) (whatever and however that works :P ).
I don't think I actually know how music could be stored on the stick. I presumed. Bad.
Perhaps I can't do it without a Linux system readily available to add the files onto the root partition.
How does a swap partition work?
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:
Man in a van wrote: I presume you want a USB stick (I'll use one of 16Gb that I linked to) which will contain a boot partition (by default), a root partition.also by default (expanded to allow room for future upgrades, say 4GB), a partition for your music Folder and maybe a swap partition (2GB maybe) (whatever and however that works :P ).
I don't think I actually know how music could be stored on the stick. I presumed. Bad.
Perhaps I can't do it without a Linux system readily available to add the files onto the root partition.
How does a swap partition work?

I'll try and find out

Once the folder is on the stick, one can use WinScp to transfer the files (on a Windows computer). I don't know how to point LMS at the folder.

Don't know for sure, but think it acts as a Temporary RAM and so speeds some operations up. Always willing for some one to explain to me.lol

I have found the link I mentioned

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=1388

I'll have a read later.

atb

Ronnie.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Just had a quick skim and apparently I have done it before :oops: :D
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnie,

Right, found an external 16 Gb usb stick.

Installed Squeezeplay and LMS v7.8.0 and expanded the root partition to 3.9GB.

Playing BBC Radio 3HD at the moment and also tried Radio paradise 320 stream, both OK.

Remaining 10GB partition is formatted with G parted to Fat32 but my Windows 8.1 will not recognise it.

Going to make a Linux MINT boot CD and try to put a Music folder on that (any advice is appreciated).

I have a Windows 7Pro and XP I can try with at the weekend.

Do you want EDO on the Squeezeplay?

Also, do you want LMS v7.9 and would you like me to configure the LMS with the BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer Extra plugins, Spotify, Podcasts, NPR, or do you want to do that yourself?

atb

Ronnie
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Man in a van wrote:vinnie,

Also, do you want LMS v7.9 and would you like me to configure the LMS with the BBC iPlayer and BBC iPlayer Extra plugins, Spotify, Podcasts, NPR, or do you want to do that yourself?
Ooh, 16. Overkill! Thanks, anyway! How much did that cost you?
I'm unfamiliar with EDO and what it's for. Would I need a USB soundcard with optical out?

LMS for sure, please... that's what's been my stumbling block.
All the other plugins I can do from the web interface once LMS is set up.

Thanks in advance.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:
Man in a van wrote:vinnie,

Ooh, 16. Overkill! Thanks, anyway! How much did that cost you?
I'm unfamiliar with EDO and what it's for. Would I need a USB soundcard with optical out?

LMS for sure, please... that's what's been my stumbling block.
All the other plugins I can do from the web interface once LMS is set up.

Thanks in advance.
Well I nearly always use a minimum of 8Gb, this one cost about £8 a couple of months ago.

A little extra room is always welcome.

I'll do the EDO install, then if you decide to use it its already there (yes, usb sound-card or spdif converter, allows 24/192 from the Joggler).

Edit, on second thoughts it might be best to leave it off if you don't want to use it (the install is only a few lines of code, so can be done any time really)

The LMS v7.9 nightly is has been stable for a good while so I'll put that on.

I'm still trying to find out how to install the Music Folder on the Stick, will have to wait until the weekend when I'm at home.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Next time I get around to doing an update, I'll be changing things to use LMS v7.9 - I use it myself and it's been fine.

Sorry I'm not getting much time to chat, but things are pretty wild at this end just now!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)