SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
vinnielo

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by vinnielo »

I was under the impression the option to install it would be hidden if I was low on space?
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
gegs

Post by gegs »

I don't really know but I've only ever had problems (not with SqueezePlay OS) using small sticks that were either smaller than their stated size or had too little free space left, causing fragmentation.
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

I can confirm that in the partition I see on Windows, it's only 31MB in size, with 20MB free.
Is that too low?

Has anyone else managed to install LMS on a 2GB stick?
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

I want my joggler to boot SqueezePlay OS from a USB pen drive, but at the same time I want to connect an external USB disk to the external USB port.
Therefore I have removed the internal WiFi board and have inserted the USB pen drive (SqpOS) in the USB port formerly used for WiFi.
If the external USB drive is NOT connected, my Joggler boots from the pen drive and everything woks fine.
If the external USB drive is connected, then my Joggler boots from the onboard flash memory, and the original O2 operating system comes up.

How can I boot from the internally connected USB pen drive and, at the same time, have an external USB drive?

Thank you for any help.

Alekos
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

vinnielo wrote:I can confirm that in the partition I see on Windows, it's only 31MB in size, with 20MB free.
Is that too low?

suggestions;

use the hp usb format tool to format the stick

use winscp to burn the image

use gparted to expand the root partition on the stick to full size

then install lms v7.8 (default)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

papaiannis wrote:I want my joggler to boot SqueezePlay OS from a USB pen drive, but at the same time I want to connect an external USB disk to the external USB port.
Therefore I have removed the internal WiFi board and have inserted the USB pen drive (SqpOS) in the USB port formerly used for WiFi.
If the external USB drive is NOT connected, my Joggler boots from the pen drive and everything woks fine.
If the external USB drive is connected, then my Joggler boots from the onboard flash memory, and the original O2 operating system comes up.

How can I boot from the internally connected USB pen drive and, at the same time, have an external USB drive?

Thank you for any help.

Alekos

Well Alekos, this is "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted"
but why did you not just use an unpowered usb hub to connect the drive and the OS stick to the external port?

Sorry I can't help with your actual problem :?

atb

ronnie
papaiannis

Post by papaiannis »

Hi atb,
thank you for answering.
I would like to avoid another box and another power supply.
For the moment I simply detach the external drive before booting, and reattach it after booting.
Any other solution is welcome.

Alekos
gegs

Post by gegs »

vinnielo wrote:I can confirm that in the partition I see on Windows, it's only 31MB in size, with 20MB free.
Is that too low?

You're only seeing the FAT boot partition in Windows. It can't read the linux partition, although you should be able to see it as an unknown partition type in Disk Management.
offbeatdave

Reducing LMS download and install size

Post by offbeatdave »

UPDATE: See post below at http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 913#p23913 for completed LMS 7.8.1 and LMS 7.9.0 installs.

Hi everyone! I'm still here, mourning the demise of PnP III. :(

I've just being mucking around with sqpOS for Internal Memory, was going to post here about something I'd done and, lo and behold, there was a discussion related to what I've been doing...

Basically I was looking to install LMS to the internal memory on a Joggler running sqpOS v3.03. As we know, the option to do this through SQP is unavailable if memory is low and there isn't enough space to do manual wget and dpkg -i from http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/.

So...

I remembered guidows SQP thread at http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... pes#p10965 and, suddenly remembering what I did with the LMS install on PnP III, I started playing around and learning a little more Linux!

With a USB stick in the sqpOS Joggler and via Putty on the PC, I formatted a USB stick to ext4 (after learning that fat32 was causing massive permission problems with what I was doing) and downloaded the LMS 7.8.1@1426671206 Debian installer to it. Using dpkg-deb I basically uncompressed the .deb file to a working directory on the USB stick and removed all the versions of LMS from CPAN/arch apart from the i386 ones. I then popped in some of the plugins in the correct directories from a test install and repackaged it to the USB stick. This reduced the Debian installer size from the original 117MB to a much more manageable 40.4MB including the BBC iPlayer/iPlayer Extra plugins (with the modified BBC iPlayer menu.opml), 3rd Party Spotify plugin, the PlayReal and Play Windows Media plugins, the PlayHLS plugin and the RadioFeeds plugin.This then installed to the internal memory and everything appears to be working!
Last edited by offbeatdave on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:57 am, edited 5 times in total.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

gegs wrote:
Is that too low?

You're only seeing the FAT boot partition in Windows. It can't read the linux partition, although you should be able to see it as an unknown partition type in Disk Management.
I'm guessing LMS installs onto the Linux partition, then?
Should I give that partition a bit more space? Will the 20MB from my FAT partition be sufficient?
gegs

Post by gegs »

The 31MB partition only manages the boot procedure so just leave that alone.

The linux partition is where all the good stuff is and can be resized to fill the USB stick if you use Gparted. Read up a lot on how to use it if you're unfamiliar; it's not difficult to use but it's easy to screw you're system up if you're not paying attention.
offbeatdave

Tiny LMS installs: v7.8.1 (40MB) or 7.9.0 (45MB)

Post by offbeatdave »

So as mentioned above, here are my two completed small LMS install packages for use with SqueezePlayOS, particularly for installation to the internal memory where space is very limited.

There are two versions: v7.8.1 (reduced to 40MB download from 117Mb) and v7.9.0 (reduced to 45MB download from 128MB). Once installed internally, there is 154MB (17%) left after a v7.8.1 install or 136MB (15%) left after a v7.9.0 install (including the all the additional bits required to fix the iPlayer streams). Both versions install the complete LMS for SqueezePlayOS, but without the unnecessary versions taking up valuable space. It also installs the BBC iPlayer plugin (with the updated menu.opml file), the iPlayer Extra plugin, the excellent RadioFeeds UK & Ireland plugin (see separate thread) and the 3rd Party Spotify Plugin (subscription required as noted elsewhere). It'll also install the Play Real Audio, Play Windows Media and the PlayHLS plugins, the latter being the one needed for the current version iPlayer streams.

Obviously you'll need SqueezePlayOS installed first, either internally or externally.

Using Putty/ssh download and install LMS using either

Code: Select all

wget http://tinyurl.com/tinylms7-8-1-deb
mv tinylms7-8-1-deb tinylms7.8.1.deb
sudo dpkg -i tinylms7.8.1.deb
rm tinylms7.8.1.deb
or

wget http://tinyurl.com/tinylms7-9-0-deb
mv tinylms7-9-0-deb tinylms7.9.0.deb
sudo dpkg -i tinylms7.9.0.deb
rm tinylms7.9.0.deb
All that you then need to do to get the iPlayer streams working again is the first part of roobarb's fix using

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libav-tools lame
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/avconv /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
sudo service logitechmediaserver restart
As usual, the Logitech Media Server web interface is available at http://<YOUR.JOGGLERS.IP>:9000 and you can connect SqueezePlay to is by selecting 'openframe' as the Media Library (unless you rename it via 'Settings' -> 'Basic Settings' -> 'Media library name').

Hope someone finds it useful (I do anyway!).
castalla

Post by castalla »

Nice .. but won't an update just fail ?

And, I'm not sure about the legality of repackaging the original code - just asking!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

castalla wrote:Nice .. but won't an update just fail ?
Do you mean an update of LMS?
And, I'm not sure about the legality of repackaging the original code - just asking!
I won't tell if you don't! ;)
castalla

Post by castalla »

Updates: using the wget route and dpkg will just download the big file again ... and bang! the lean version is gone!
offbeatdave

Post by offbeatdave »

castalla wrote:Updates: using the wget route and dpkg will just download the big file again ... and bang! the lean version is gone!
Yes, but my thinking is that you I won't be needing to do this once installed!
gegs

Post by gegs »

I use Triode's excellent Spotify plugin but I've been having problems with the plugin keeping my login credentials. Frequently I get a server error and the only way to fix it is to enter my password in the plugin settings again. It's fine after that (for a while.) It's making it a bit useless for family friendliness.

I've searched the Logitech forums but can't find a fix for my problem.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:I use Triode's excellent Spotify plugin but I've been having problems with the plugin keeping my login credentials. Frequently I get a server error and the only way to fix it is to enter my password in the plugin settings again. It's fine after that (for a while.) It's making it a bit useless for family friendliness.

I've searched the Logitech forums but can't find a fix for my problem.

Hi gegs, are you still having a problem with this.

I have been keeping a watch for a helpful snippet somewhere but I not seen anything, normally this sort of problem has been caused by folk not entering the correct details for the registration, but that can't be in your case, as you have a working example (although with intermittent drop-off).

It might be down to spotify themselves.

Best wishes

Ronnie.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Man in a van wrote:
gegs wrote:Hi gegs, are you still having a problem with this.
I think the login used to be a simple text entry in a config file, which made it easy to retain but insecure. I think it's now handled by libspotify and is encrypted; I've read about other people who have had similar problems with password retention on the Logitech forums. Going to the plugin settings and entering my password fixes it again, so it is obviously a retention thing.

Spotify has been working now for 3 or 4 days without losing my login details but it's been happening frequently before that. I'll monitor to see if it happens again and under what conditions (router re-boot perhaps?)

It's not really a problem for me because I've got the server bookmarked and it only takes 30 seconds or so to fix; the problem is when I'm not around. My wife uses it a lot and isn't very tech savvy; I don't think I'd have much success telling her how to fix things.
Meza

WIFI problems

Post by Meza »

I'm having trouble getting WIFI connection working with Squeezeplay OS 3.0.3 on a standard O2 joggler device.

Squeezeplay is flashed to internal memory. On first setup, I am unable to get an IP address on the wifi. It boots, I put in SSID and password, apply and reboot, have waited for a while (and gone back to previous settings screen) to wait for DHCP - but no luck getting an IP address.

If, however, I connect with a cable I get an IP address. If I then switch to wireless with the cable still plugged in, I am able to get a WIFI IP. I can then remove the cable and continue on WIFI. However a reboot sends me back to square one and causes WIFI to not get an IP address again.

Anyone else experienced this? What can I do to get it working fully on WIFI? Thanks for any advice!