SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Man in a van

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 3) for OpenFrame

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:
castalla wrote:The raspi problem is solved. I'm planning to try the fixes on squeezeplayOS tomorrow.

Have you had any luck getting this to work on the Joggler? I've installed bpa's HLS plugin and the modified menu.opml file in iPlayer but it won't play the HLS streams. I thought I already had ffmpeg installed because some of my iPlayer Extras streams are transcoded from AAC to FLAC (at least according to the info screen.)

Hi gegs, when I try to replace the old .opml file with the new one I get an "access denied" box in WinSCP.

I know its down to permissions and wonder if you could give me a little pointer on how to use the correct ones.

Using Windows 8.1 pro on a ThinkPad T61.

atb

Ronnie.
gegs

Post by gegs »

You can't edit or delete system files in WinSCP with the joggler/joggler login/pw combination. There's no 'sudo' equivalent in WinSCP so you need to login as root. To do this you login with PuTTY and your usual joggler/joggler uname/pw combo.

Now type

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
Hit 'Enter'

You will be prompted to enter a superuser password; do so then hit 'Enter'
You'll be prompted to enter the same password again; do so then hit 'Enter'

You've now created a password for the superuser (root)

Login to WinSCP with username root and the password you've just created. You now have permissions in WinSCP to modify, delete and copy new system files. Be careful with this privilege and always exit after you've done what you need.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:You can't edit or delete system files in WinSCP with the joggler/joggler login/pw combination. There's no 'sudo' equivalent in WinSCP so you need to login as root. To do this you login with PuTTY and your usual joggler/joggler uname/pw combo.

Now type

sudo passwd
Hit 'Enter'

You will be prompted to enter a superuser password; do so then hit 'Enter'
You'll be prompted to enter the same password again; do so then hit 'Enter'

You've now created a password for the superuser (root)

Login to WinSCP with username root and the password you've just created. You now have permissions in WinSCP to modify, delete and copy new system files. Be careful with this privilege and always exit after you've done what you need.

Thanks gegs

"with great power comes great responsibilty" Mr Spock/Sheldon Cooper 8-)

atb

Ronnie.
gegs

Post by gegs »

The problems I've had getting castalla's fix for the iPlayer HLS streams seems to have been caused by running the 7.9 nightly version of LMS.

After creating a fresh stick and installing castalla's fix, installing bpa's HLS plugin and copying over the modified menu.opml file, everything was working fine. I upgraded LMS to the 7.9 nightly and it broke; 'downgrading' to 7.8.1 fixed it again.

EDIT: After reading Man in a Van's post below, I reinstalled LMS 7.9 and it works. Previously I got a message saying that the stream couldn't be found. Maybe it was a temporary glitch on BBC's side when I was testing (such would be my luck :( )
Last edited by gegs on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

gegs wrote:The problems I've had getting castalla's fix for the iPlayer HLS streams seems to have been caused by running the 7.9 nightly version of LMS.

After creating a fresh stick and installing castalla's fix, installing bpa's HLS plugin and copying over the modified menu.opml file, everything was working fine. I upgraded LMS to the 7.9 nightly and it broke; 'downgrading' to 7.8.1 fixed it again.

Mine seems fine (cross fingers)

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.0 - 1423154751 @ Fri Feb 6 09:07:32 UTC 2015
Hostname: openframe
Server IP Address: 192.168.1.xxx
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.18.2 - i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
Audio::Scan: 0.95
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 2

atb

Ronnie
gegs

Post by gegs »

I reinstalled LMS 7.9 and everything now works with castalla's iPlayer fix; previously it couldn't play/locate the HLS streams. I'm not sure what was wrong but it might have been a temporary problem on the BBC end.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Hi,

Can anyone help with getting this working on LMS under OS X, please?

I've successfully installed the PlayHLS plugin, and replaced menu.opml, and I've also installed an ffmpeg binary for OS X, which shows as version 2.5.3.

However, when I try to play a live stream, I get an 'Unable to play file type' error on my Joggler.

Looking at File Types under Settings > Advanced in LMS, I notice that Apple HLS m3u8 shows as disabled for FLAC, MP3 & PCM. Is LMS expecting to find ffmpeg in a specific location, or is the above version too 'old'?

Mike
gegs

Post by gegs »

What stream is BBC iPlayer looking for? In the plugin settings my stream preference is AAC > Flash AAC > FlashMP3 > WMA
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

OK, I've definitely not got ffmpeg in the right place - I turned on debugging in LMS (set player.source to Debug under Settings > Advanced > Logging) and got an error 'couldn't find binary for: ffmpeg'.

I downloaded a binary for OS X, and added my Downloads folder to PATH - ffmpeg works, because I get output with 'ffmpeg -version'; also, I get an output file by running this:

ffmpeg -i "http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/ma ... ourfm.m3u8" -f flac - >output.flc

Does anyone know where ffmpeg should be located for LMS under OS X?

Thanks,

Mike
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Hi gegs,

It was AAC > Flash AAC. I've changed it to AAC > Flash AAC > Flash MP3 > WMA, but same result.

Mike
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

Read the post by chippy, it might help

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... 29/page247

atb

Ronnie
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Thanks, Ronnie, that did the trick!

I had everything else set up OK, just needed to copy ffmpeg to /usr/local/bin on my Mac mini.

Now rocking to 6 Music!

Mike
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

MikeF wrote:Thanks, Ronnie, that did the trick!

I had everything else set up OK, just needed to copy ffmpeg to /usr/local/bin on my Mac mini.

Now rocking to 6 Music!

Mike

8-)
plm

Post by plm »

Roobarb

One question for you: since updating all three of my Jogglers from whatever ancient version they were on, they are now all reporting mostly correct MAC addresses back to LMS now.

I say mostly because the vendor ID part on all of them is showing 02:0E:8E:xx:xx:xx whereas they are all stickered 00:0E:8E:xx:xx:xx.

02:0E:8E doesn't exist as a legitimate vendor, so it seems that the 00 part of the address is being incorrectly overwritten.

Is there a reason for this behaviour, and is it expected to change at all? I can reserve IP addresses based on these MAC addresses so I can make sure I always find the 'right' one on the network, but if there's going to be a change to get the proper hardware MAC address I'd rather do that instead.

Thanks
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

plm wrote:02:0E:8E doesn't exist as a legitimate vendor, so it seems that the 00 part of the address is being incorrectly overwritten.

Is there a reason for this behaviour, and is it expected to change at all? I can reserve IP addresses based on these MAC addresses so I can make sure I always find the 'right' one on the network, but if there's going to be a change to get the proper hardware MAC address I'd rather do that instead.
This is expected and won't be changing. The '02' denotes that the MAC address is being locally created and differentiates it from the wifi device it's gaining the rest of the address from. This way we don't clash the two interfaces (so they can be used simultaneously) and we tell the rest of the network what we're up to.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Man in a van wrote:Perhaps roobarb! might like to consider adding this in the next build.
It's actually supposed to be there, but I missed the fact that it was removed from the Trusty repos. That's why ffmpeg support is all a bit confused when you go googling. Canonical whizzed it out of the official repos and told everyone to use avconv instead, then stuck their fingers in their ears when it came to the complaints that not everything works with avconv. ;)

Rapid ffmpeg installation method:

sudo -s
echo -e "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu trusty main\ndeb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu trusty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ffmpeg.list
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 90BD7EACED8E640A
apt-get update
apt-get install ffmpeg
Sorry I've not been around much, folks - I haven't forgotten the place, it's just winding up to being a rather busy one!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

roobarb! wrote:
Man in a van wrote:Perhaps roobarb! might like to consider adding this in the next build.
It's actually supposed to be there, but I missed the fact that it was removed from the Trusty repos. That's why ffmpeg support is all a bit confused when you go googling. Canonical whizzed it out of the official repos and told everyone to use avconv instead, then stuck their fingers in their ears when it came to the complaints that not everything works with avconv. ;)

Rapid ffmpeg installation method:

sudo -s
echo -e "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu trusty main\ndeb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/mc3man/trusty-media/ubuntu trusty main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ffmpeg.list
apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 90BD7EACED8E640A
apt-get update
apt-get install ffmpeg
Sorry I've not been around much, folks - I haven't forgotten the place, it's just winding up to being a rather busy one!

Thanks roobarb!
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

roobarb! wrote:Rapid ffmpeg installation method:
Even rapider, though obviously not actually installing ffmpeg:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libav-tools
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/avconv /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
Bit cheeky, but it uses official repos and works without twiddling in the config for PlayHLS.

If you want to be better behaved and not link the file, just edit:

/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/PlayHLS/custom-convert.conf
Replacing the three occurrences of ffmpeg with avconv.
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hi..
What king of video drivers does this build has ? Can it play 720p ?
Thx
pete

Post by pete »

I have been able to stream live 1080P HD TV and movies with a little tweak to the Openframe (large one with speakers) just fine. You have to open it up. No soldering required.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater