How do I disable the touch screen?

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Loz

How do I disable the touch screen?

Post by Loz »

Evening all, I have acquired a joggler from a friend who was going to bin it.
I have PNP III on it now but have noticed a fault where by the unit randomly does it's own thing opening random apps etc. This is quit annoying as I was using it mainly as a clock but with the touch screen being activated constantly, the clock doesn't stay on for long.

I was thinking of SSHing on and disabling the the touch interface to see if it stops, can anyone offer any help where to start and where the driver is?

Regards Loz
monkums

Re: How do I disable the touch screen?

Post by monkums »

I have a Joggler that has a weird touch screen. When it starts the screen is very random and will act like someone is touching it and select different menus (SpOS). If I leave it for about 30 minutes it settles down and is OK.
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

I believe that the touch screen is seen by the Joggler hardware as a usb device. I would there fore believe that is may be possible to disconnect this device physically. By this I mean disconnect a plug from the Joggler main board or something like that. It is very likely not as simple as that and the touch screen and the lcd display may be combined in some way.

But I think that this is an interesting topic as the touch interface is probably one of the first devices to go on a Joggler. TBH it is a nice to have for me, but for the Jogglers I have I don't use it. I bought a Joggler some time ago that had an issue with the touch - there was a band that touch was not responsive. I have cleaned android phones and fooked the screen which resulted in behaviour similar that that you describe here. The Joggler touch interface can be replaced and there are some threads here that discuss that, although they will not be that recent. If you are looking at replacing the touch sensor or the complete screen unit there have been sellers on ebay selling just that, but it will be harder to get them as time goes on. I think from here on the best option will be to get cheap broken or unwanted jogglers and be prepared to get your screwdrivers out and hands dirty.

Alternatives could be to just use a mouse or have a usb touch pad.

I think that the touch screen and the internal flash are the most sensitive parts of the Joggler. Oh and using it in very cold environments will give you a seasonal (snowy) screen !

HTH
Loz

Post by Loz »

That's interesting, if it's USB then I ought to be able to locate the driver. Thinking about it some more it would be nice to have a disable touch screen button on the PnP web server page. That way I could disable it when it is playing up and just reenable when I need it.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sortware would be the way to go , i have just had a couple of Jogglers to pieces and there are two small cables attaching the screen to the main board , maybee one is touch screen ?
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Agree that software is the way to go as it is much easier to change.

I have written small scripts that change the brightness of the screen, so something similar should be possible for enabling or disabling a USB device. Exactly how to do this I don't know. Someone here may know the answer straight away. It may also be worth a look on the Ubuntu forums on how to enable/disable USB HID devices.

Could it be something along the lines of this :

http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/13 ... m-terminal

Disclaimer - I didn't look in that much detail at it, so it could be completely wrong and may not be a good thing to do.

Interesting comment in this article is that by disabling a USB device it could also save some power !

Edit 1 - just a bit more thought - would you have some sort of input device attached to disable and re-enable the touch screen, or do it remotely through SSH or whatever ? Or just have it as part of the startup process ? Or something else ?

Edit 2- still looking and have come across this :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1175001

In particular :
But just to get you started off, this command is a good starting point (might want to look into making it into a function/script):

Code:
udevadm info -a -p `udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sda`

The above will tell you all the available attributes udev has for potentially identifying the device /dev/sda.
If you know the name of the touch screen device, just substitute it for 'sda' in the above example.

Actually thinking again, the above may not be quite what I thought it was. I need to get a joggler out and try. One thing I'd really like to have is a list of all the devices and attributes, so that scripts can be written to change whatever can be altered.
Loz

Post by Loz »

Okay, that got me going, thanks Juggler.

I had a look in /dev and there was a /dev/input dir with a soft link called touchscreen pointing to /dev/opkevents so I renamed opkevents to xopkevents and immediately the clock returned, so that must have been the device for the touchscreen and that is now disabled.

Not very elegant but has solved my problem for now thanks.

Regards Loz
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

Loz wrote:Okay, that got me going, thanks Juggler.

I had a look in /dev and there was a /dev/input dir with a soft link called touchscreen pointing to /dev/opkevents so I renamed opkevents to xopkevents and immediately the clock returned, so that must have been the device for the touchscreen and that is now disabled.

Regards Loz
Your welcome.

Be good to hear how it works out for you and if you come up with any other solutions !
glk17

Post by glk17 »

Loz wrote: Wed May 21, 2014 11:22 pm Okay, that got me going, thanks Juggler.

Regards Loz
Hi Loz
My Joggler OS is PnPIII version v3.50d.
I tried that, the file name /dev/opkevents -> xopkevents, but it does not work on my Joggler.
And i found that if the Joggler reboot, the file will recover.

I find a way to disable the Joggler touchscreen input.
If any one need, can try this.

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf with WinSCP (PnPIII default ssh username/pwd: joggler/joggler)

Code: Select all

Section "InputDevice"              
        Identifier      "TKPANEL"  
        Driver          "evtouch"  
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/touchscreen"
        Option          "DeviceName"            "touchscreen"
        Option          "MinX"                  "0"
        Option          "MinY"                  "0"
        Option          "MaxX"                  "32768"
        Option          "MaxY"                  "32768"
	Option          "MAXABS"                "32768"
        Option          "AN"                    "-300440"
        Option          "BN"                    "0"
        Option          "CN"                    "5754880"
        Option          "DN"                    "0"                     
        Option          "EN"                    "-178080"    
        Option          "FN"                    "8050080"
        Option          "DIVIDER"               "-378996"
        Option          "SCALE"                 "32"   
        Option          "ReportingMode"         "Raw"  
#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"              
#       Option          "Emulate3Timeout"       "50"     
	Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "On"
        Option          "MoveLimit"             "1"      
#       Option          "DebugLevel"            "5"
EndSection
modify like this, ponit to a wrong dir

Code: Select all

Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/xxtouchscreen"
then reboot the Joggler, the touchscreen input will disable.