Plex Media Server on the joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: Plex Media Server on the joggler

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete , just the same as before as I've not tried , I have the minimal desktop installed and the updates done and the thermal trip set at 80 but I didn't get to open up the desktop or install PMS yet .
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Hawsey,

Curious what size USB stick you are wanting to do this with?

Personally here I would test on the smallest partitioned USB stick which will work for you and let it run a bit.

You can image a working copy very easily so you can play and or wipe it and start from scratch in just a few minutes.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Pete I am doing this on a 16 gb play.com stick as its the fastest I tested that I own .
Having a night off tonight but things I need to do now are install plex server and open up the already installed minimal desktop that I put on the other night .
I really am feeling around in the dark here but pleased I now have it booting up to the terminal thing and starting to find my way around this alien ( to me ) enviroment :-)
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Last post July 2014 , i dont give up easily .

So I am resurrecting this thread to try again now that I have SqueezeplayOs and LMS set up thanks to Castalla :-)

I now possess basic knowledge of logging in to the Joggler as root and using WinSCP and Putty. So ,how would I go about installing Plex Server on top of this set up I already have ?
I have my build all backed up as I am bound to screw up somewhere he heh ...
Cheers

Sent by SlimKat FirePhone
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

Wow hawsey!

Do you have Ubuntu software centre on your minimal desktop?

Easiest to search for Plex and then install via the software centre.

Even easier point and click is on the download web site.

https://plex.tv/downloads
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

My first thought is that your usb may not have enough space to install plex server. You'll probably need to expand the root file partition using something like gparted live cd.

also, you'll probably have to update the joggler operating system before you attempt an install.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

@pete .
Sorry I should have started a new thread I think :-)
I am now going to do this on the USB image of SqueezeplayOs and Logitech Media Server together , I want to add PMS to that now without a desktop installed , I will access the PMS server from another PC once its set up if I can.
@Castalla , I have it set up on a 16GB SD stick , if I fire up Xubuntu from another Joggler with a USB hub attached , do you think I'll be able to use GParted within Ubuntu or is it a Live thing only ? Sorry I should research this myself :-)
Once I get Gparted up an running and I see the USB image I want to re size , do you know which partition it is I re size , I know I had problems working this out in the past.
And by update , do you mean the SqplayOs Lms that I should update ?
Thanks you kindly ..

Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

So I've booted up in Windows 7 a partition wizard called MiniTool , its showing my stick with partitions
Boot 11mb used , 19 free
Root 1.49 gig used 380Mb free
and unallocated 13 gig

Should I expand them both ? What do you think ..

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

I you can install gparted on the xbuntu - it should work. It's the root partition - which will currently be about 2gb. Be sure you select the correct usb.

You need to run apt-get update on the joggler sqPOS - The problem is that the existing resources.list file in /etc/apt is out of date. You need to update/replace with a newer list - see attached file
Attachments
sources.list.txt
rename existing sources.list file on Joggler to sources.list.original then change the name of this file to sources.list after you have transferred to joggler
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
castalla

Post by castalla »

hawsey wrote:So I've booted up in Windows 7 a partition wizard called MiniTool , its showing my stick with partitions
Boot 11mb used , 19 free
Root 1.49 gig used 380Mb free
and unallocated 13 gig

Should I expand them both ? What do you think ..

Expand only the Root partition - not sure if that tool is compatible with linux partitions. Good luck.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

No luck with the Windows tool so I made a live boot Gparted USB stick and managed to expand the root partition to 8GB and retested it and it boots up fine in to SqueezePlayOs 8-)
I have downloaded the sources.list.txt file (thanks) but am not sure what I do with it .
Cheers

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

Copy the sources.list.txt file to /etc/apt on the joggler - rename the existing sources.list to something else. Rename the sources.list.txt file to sources.list. Do this as root user.

At command prompt:

sudo apt-get update

You should see a lot of updates being processed.

That's it. Your system should be in a better stae o attempt installing plex server,

You need to find a plex package which runs on i386 and has the .deb file extension.

Do you have any links to suitable pakages?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I'll try the above tomorrow night ,thanks .

Second post on this thread looks promising , what do you think ?

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/11386 ... lling-plex
It has the .deb and is for Trusty 14.04 that Sqpos is based on I think .

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

It might work - who knows?!

What worries me is the bit about install packages - that's a massive list to install, and if any fail; tracking which will be difficult !

In fact, with something as hefty as this - if it goes wrong, the easiest would be to start from zero. Trying to fix any errors will be tough and may even make things worse if you get anything wrong.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah here started my test Joggler with Buzz's Ubuntu at 16Gb SSD. I have expanded the root now to the internal MMC (1Gb) and a 4Gb USB stick. It is not enough.

Just my /home directory on my test Joggler is over 6Gb. I would personally start maybe with a 32/64 Gb device, use Buzz's Ubuntu 14.04 desktop build, add LMS then add Plex.

Buzz's primary desktop build is around 8Gb. Expanding it to 16Gb is easy. I typically expand it before running it the first time.

You can just remove the stick and use GParted on another computer to resize it or use a Live Ubuntu Boot to use GParted on another computer.

I use minitools partition manager typically only for windows builds.

Here is a Gparted look (can't change it though). Here I was just going remove the SSD and use GParted to copy the 16Gb SSD to a 64Gb SSD then expand it.
garted.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

@Pete , I'm using Roobarbs Sqpos and I already have LMS on that , this is what I will use if possible :-) its based on BuZz's 14.04 base Trusty Ubuntu , yep expanding the partitions is a bit fitddly , I thought I couldn't do it either until I found this tutorial :-)

http://gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fna ... partitions

@Castalla, I think I need more research , I don't need all the packages , if you read further down the guy admits that ; in fact all I want it for is music so don't need any video stuff .
I'm doing this all on a back up stick for now so no worries if it breaks I'll start again ;-)
Tonight I will attempt what you suggested for updates with that text file you posted .
Thanks

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

You might get away with just the install. It's not clear what all those packages are for .... there's no way I'd attempt to sort out what's needed and what's not!

You know the easy way to do this - is to copy and paste. Copy the material you want - go into putty - at the command line do a right click. Less chance you mistype something.

What do you want plex for, in any case?!
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

That's what I'll try :-)
I want access to my music during the day at work .
Plex works well as I've tried it on an old Acer Revo and my parents could watch movies stored on the Revo with PMS installed at their house on a cheap little now TV box hacked with plex app .
I would put plex app on my phone and PMS on the Sqpos ,LMS Joggler that we have set up .
Hopefully ;-)
Just thinking out loud here , I'm sure there is a PMS out there for little NAS servers .

Happy Joggling
castalla

Post by castalla »

Thhre are some distros for synology, etc.

Just spent last 2 days on roof trying to resurrect an old sat system - finally got it working again. Other half prefers it over Kodi .

Still looking for a discount Jongo ICE - that 2 for 1 offer was only on black. With price plus postage, think a new one from amazon is a better deal. The ice ones are hard to find and stupidly expensive over here - more than a Sonos Play1.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good work getting that up and running again :-) last time we were in Playa Flamenca , everyone was connected via a little square dish pointing at some central transmitter for their internet and TV I think , no copper under ground cable do you have this system ?
On satellite systems , the first sky system pointed at Hotbird sat I think and when the new type came along they were pointing at a different sat , leaving the old bigger dish on the wall , this was one of my first "hacks" , I took a spare new type Sky digital box and in the menus you could manually add "other" digital channels I had great fun with that :-) later I got a cheap free to view digital box and fitted a dual LNB pointing at two different Satellites at the same time , I live life in the fast lane ha ha , keeps me busy though ...
What sat box are you using ?

Happy Joggling