Plex Media Server on the joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
cbredfred

Re: Plex Media Server on the joggler

Post by cbredfred »

Since my last post I've moved back to Canada.
I had my daughter bring 4 NowTV boxes with her last month when she came for a visit.
I pay $4.99 a month to unblock-us.com which isn't a VPN but a DNS sorter-outer.
The BBC somehow uses DNS to implement their geolocating and blocking.
It works great.
I have also found that none of my four boxes have appeared in the "My Devices" section of the NowTV website, so hopefully this means I can have more than 4 devices and more than 2 watching at a time.
I think this might be due to the fact that I haven't used any of the paid for services. We only watch the BBC etc and Plex that I sideloaded.
These boxes are an incredible deal. They even work well on old fat screen TV's.
My Parents have a few old tellys that don't have digital tuners for OTA use of their Mohu Leaf antenna, so a NowTV box makes the TV useful again.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Did you change the DNS settings on your router? Mine doesn't allow that.

It is fiddly to change DNS on a Roku although it can be done - http://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-r ... y.1776722/ - but it doesn't survive a reboot.
gegs

Post by gegs »

@cbredfred - I notice that we joined the forum on the same day in 2011 exactly 4 hours apart.
cbredfred

Post by cbredfred »

Hi Gegs,

Yes I changed the DNS settings on the router.
It's surprising which "features" get left out of router firmware. Is it one provided by your ISP?
A descent router is like a really good pair of boots, a complete pain to get broken in but then it becomes so reliable and taken for granted that you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.
I have recently helped 5 lots of friends and family to "cut the cable" (get rid of cable TV and also ISP's that restrict them to downloading only 80GB per month and paying over $40 per month for phone service)
they have all ended up with routers that can run Tomato firmware. One of them had bought their Cable modem/router from the ISP, the modem function of the box is ok but the router function is not so good. A little research and I put the box in to "Bridge Mode" which means that the output from the modem section is feed directly to LAN1 and all routing functions are disabled. I then connected a second hand ($20) Linksys/cisco E2500 router with Tomato firmware via it's WAN (internet) port to the LAN1 on the bridged modem/router.
Now they pay $5 per month for phone because the QOS features of Tomato makes VOIP reliable.
They have NowTV or Samsung BD-F5900 Bluray players hacked for all the UK apps and unblock-us gets them round the geoblocking.
An antenna (Mohu Leaf) will pull them in a dozen (one of them gets 34 but she's on the 12th floor) or so channels of local TV.
300GB download allowance looks after any other viewing that they might like.
Most of their bills have gone from the $150 - $200 range down to $60.
Having a reliable router, that you are master of, as the foundation of the internet side of things really helps.

All the best,

Clive
pete

Post by pete »

Great stuff Clive!

I like the term:
on old fat screen TV's.

Well that is neato that the box has analog and digital outputs. I recall my very old "modded" Patriot Box Office (BA - "before Android") had analog and digital outputs.
A descent router is like a really good pair of boots, a complete pain to get broken in but then it becomes so reliable and taken for granted that you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.
Here! Here!

What a great idea. Hawsey; thank-you for point this out; as I really didn't know anything about this box.

Well here we go (well me) go off on a tangent about firewalls....

Here I have started to play with a box and software called PFSense. Historically have utilized Smoothwall for many many years. That said I have installed now some 6 Intel NICs in the box and connected it to a GPS with PPS for time sync (time is "close to my hear" concern). Thinking here of playing a bit with failover ISP links and some load balancing trix.

Over the years and still in place today are DD-WRT and OpenWRT boxes (well modded boxes). The second link below source is a layered two router thingy. I didn't like the offerings (router) for the fiber connection (well it goes to STBs, Telephone and Internet) such that I bridged one port for the DD-WRT router.

Decided here to play with a Micro Router. It sells for $19.95 USD. First though I want to up the memory such that it has more play memory.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J8kE8FA2yIs[/youtube]

Thinking that the EU version has 4Gb of internal memory and the US version has only 2Gb of internal memory. I have read the chip swap is relatively easy and I can up the device to 8Gb or more. Once I have upgraded the base memory will install OpenWRT on it. This is a "do wat" "do all" micro router with two network ports, USB and HV power, USB port and a Wireless N router and repeater. Imagine what it can do with more memory and its the size of your hand.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Good to know you got the Now TV boxes working overseas thanks for sharing the info :-)
Happy Joggling
gegs

Post by gegs »

cbredfred wrote:...It's surprising which "features" get left out of router firmware. Is it one provided by your ISP?
Unfortunately, yes. It's a Virgin Media Super Hub v.1 (OK but not great). I could run it in modem mode and use another router but I've ran out of power sockets to plug another router into :(

The power strip with my router also has a TV, Roku, Joggler, printer, NAS, speakers, desktop hard drive and a Raspberry Pi attached.
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

Have you thought about repurposing a PC power supply? Your routers probably use 12v, the 5v supply would be more than adequate for the pi and joggler etc.

Loads of how-tos on the net for such a project.
gegs

Post by gegs »

Thanks, I'll have a look but I'm really not confident fiddling with electrics. I don't know enough to be sure if I'd done everything safely :?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The need for a basic Plex server reared its head again so last night I
Downloaded Linux Mint latest version from BuZz's site and put it on a 16gb memory stick tested to be the fastest I have .
Tried to get on to the Plex site to download PMS 32 bit for linux from there without success as no matter what I did it just re directed me to the mobile site which is for smartphones ( I suspect the Chromium browser ) I did google about but failed so eventually found a site with previous versions of pms and got it from there .

Got it loaded up and tried adding the unsupported apps store and after " permissions " issues got it in to the right folder .
All seemed good so this morning took it to my folks house where I need it for and tried it out,
I was able to see the server on the joggler from the Now TV box using Plex Rarflix and stream live tv from the bbc .
Looking at the Joggler running Mint everything seems sluggish and I quickly got an out of memory message , I uninstalled a few things like xbmc etc which I don't need but it still seems slow and this goes through to the experience on the Now tv box .
I am going to try out one of Buzz's base linux builds to see if this is better but at least I proved it does indeed work for now .
Also I need to work out how to expand the partitions to use up all the usb stick probably using G Parted ( I read this was the thing to use )
This will after I get it working good work on a Joggler motherboard without a scrern which I have going spare plugged in to where the wireless stick is .I will get connectivity via etherenet ,hopefully this will help speed things up as well .
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I tried last night to change go XUbuntu LTS for my build of this but failed at the first hurdle :-( it won't even boot up !!
What I really need I think is a copy of BuZz's base Ubuntu with a lightweight desktop installed ready for me to put PMS on to it ( any offers to do this first bit greatfully accepted :-))
I am just not up to the Linux job enough to work without a desktop .
Will keep plodding on. ...
Happy Joggling
Juggler

Post by Juggler »

hawsey wrote: What I really need I think is a copy of BuZz's base Ubuntu with a lightweight desktop installed ready for me to put PMS on to it ( any offers to do this first bit greatfully accepted :-))
Some time ago I took BuZz's 12.04 base and used the instructions he provided here :

http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/ubuntu/

Which is just entering just one line :

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends lubuntu-desktop
For me it worked, but, TBH, the desktop manager was unfamiliar, but if I needed it and it was light then I would just get to like it and work with it. I didn't go any further because, as far as I could see, there was still more work to do to get all the features I wanted to have accessible from the desktop manager. I did it just out of curiosity and to see what the Lubuntu desktop was like. I didn't go any further as at the time I had no need.

It would be nice to know if there are some resources that describe how to expand the Lubuntu desktop, once it has been installed on top of a base ubuntu.

Do you need to have a full graphics desktop for PMS ? I've not been any where near PMS, so know nothing about it.

As a possible alternative and something I'd be interested in discovering more about, is using a framebuffer desktop :

HowTo/Framebuffer-Desktop-No-X
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/HowTo%282f%2 ... d%29X.html

framebuffer desktop | Unix Linux Forums | UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers
http://www.unix.com/unix-for-dummies-qu ... sktop.html

directfb.org | Main
http://www.directfb.org/

wyoDesktop: Description
http://wyodesktop.sourceforge.net/description.html

A desktop without X would be lightweight. But it all looks quite involved and I don't know if PMS would work in it, but I guess you could still use the command line version, by making some dialog screen yourself. Sorry, the more I write, the more involved it sounds. But it would be cool to have a very lightweight desktop. There is probably something like this for the RPi, so it should be possible to borrow work from there.

I don't know if you've tried BuZz's instructions mentioned above, if not have a go, and let us know what you think and of any problem you have and maybe we can work things forward. If you'd like a base with the Lubuntu desktop added, I could have a go doing that for you and we could share that somehow, but from what I can remember, there is still a lot missing, from what you'd probably expect to be there and be able to do with the desktop.
pete

Post by pete »

hawsey,

Here too not familiar with Plex server. I do have a BuzzUbuntuLatest running on a OF1 using two little SSD drives at some 24Gb of play room. I started to read a bit about the differences between Plex and XBMC. I didn't know that that had the same roots. DEC on another posts has shown us how effective a Joggler can be for his endeavor for his combo endeavor.

My LCD TV's are similarly connected to live and recorded or streaming media. Each today has a coaxial cable connection which feeds HD/SD video via their tuners (IE: SD video is backfed from whatever source). Then the second choice; HDMI video input is all the same with little AOpen digital engines running XBMC on an SSD. While these are not really tiny boxes; they are small. The Jogglers running XBMC do stream live TV/recorded content and are an extension sort of to the LCD TVs. Today though they do more a combo of stuff relating to music, automation or video media. I do also utilize the Jogglers for audio sources for the zoned whole house amplifiers which are remote controlled from the mothership (well via a touchscreen).

I will give it a go with the aforementioned build and attempt to document what I do. The following post comes from me googling to see what the difference is. Not really thinking though to run it off of the internal 1Gb MMC as I did have some concerns running XBMC on the 2 Gb internal MMC of the OF2 boxes. At this time I have only built XBMC on the 2Gb MMC of the OF2 using the BuzzUbuntuBase build posted. I ran out of room with the DB stuff from the multimedia. I have recently created a central for syncing XBMC boxes mysql database. Works fine. (but its another box).
Both XBMC and Plex offer great unique features and similar ones, which should come as no surprise if you know the history of these two home theater PC (HTPC) platforms. XBMC is open-source software, and Plex is mostly-open source software based on XBMC (though its mobile apps are closed). Although Plex didn't differentiate itself much in the beginning, it has grown into a feature-rich, powerful, and still easy-to-use platform that most anyone could set up with ease. XBMC, on the other hand, tends to trade ease of use for a high amount of customization. To sum up the main difference, Plex is easy but limited and XBMC is hard but almost infinitely customizable. Of course, each platform offers a variety of other advantages and problems. Let's take a look at some common considerations and figure out if you ought to use Plex, XBMC, or a combination of both.

You may not have to decide whether to use XBMC or Plex after all. Depending on the operating systems and devices you want to use with your HTPC, you may only have one choice. Both Plex and XBMC run on most anything, but some limitations apply for each.

- Windows: Both XBMC and Plex run without any caveats. Plex offers a Windows 8 modern-style app as well.

- OS X: Both XBMC and Plex run without any caveats.

- Linux: You can download XBMC via most repositories on most builds of Linux or install XBMCbuntu, which installs Linux and XBMC together. Plex runs on Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS.

- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: Plex runs on iOS and can be purchased from the iTunes App Store for $5. XBMC runs on iOS and doesn't cost anything, but requires your device to be jailbroken first.

- Android Smartphones and Tablets: XBMC runs on Android and can be downloaded directly from the official XBMC site for free. Plex runs on Android, costs $5, and can be installed via Google Play, the Amazon Appstore, or the Nook Store.

- Windows Phone: Plex runs on Windows Phone. XBMC does not.

- Raspberry Pi: XBMC runs on the Raspberry Pi with multiple builds that offer their own advantages. Plex has an unofficial port.

- Apple TV: XBMC runs on the Apple TV 2. Although Plex can run on the Apple TV 2, it's more work. With both platforms, the Apple TV 2 must be jailbroken.

- Google TV: Plex runs on Google TV, costs $1, and you can download it from the Google Play Market. XBMC does not run on Google TV.3

- Set Top Boxes and Televisions: Plex runs on Samsung TVs, LG TVs, and Roku boxes, both for free. XBMC doesn't support any set top boxes other than the jailbroken Apple TV 2.
http://lifehacker.com/5991757/should-i- ... theater-pc
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks so much for the help ,
Pete it is just plex media server I am after getting to work on the joggler OF1 not full blown plex , all it will do is act as a server for a NOW TV box at my parents house because at the minute if I switch of my server they can't use Plex :-( I had it running on top of Mint and it worked but not too well but at least I proved it could work .
One big thing I forgot about was the thermal trip point thing I really need it running on top of the smallest Linux build I can go give it a good chance of working well :-)
Once it is up and running on a complete Joggler for testing it will be getting plugged in to just the rear bit without the screen as I have a volunteer joggler for the job .
I might even put a heat sink on the Atom chip to give it an extra help .
Thanks again
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

One big thing I forgot about was the thermal trip point thing I really need it running on top of the smallest Linux build I can go give it a good chance of working well :-)

Once it is up and running on a complete Joggler for testing it will be getting plugged in to just the rear bit without the screen as I have a volunteer joggler for the job .

Yeah not hitting any temps issues with the OF1 / Jogglers these days. I do keep the screens mostly dimmer than brighter and remote shut off the screens at night or when not using them. Thinking the biggest heat thing was the screen; then the little WLAN USB stick. I do keep them running 24/7 these days.

The squeezebox player screen is off while just feeding audio to the zoned amplifier.

Last night I tried to just do a quickie update on one box and it has issues connecting to the apt sources across the pond (which I have not seen before).

I do not remember anymore but thinking the base build that you could utilize (buzzbaseubuntu) was a bit less than 1Gb.

Will continue to play. I have moved the "test" OF1 device to the test workbench.
- Pete

Auto mater
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

If you are using Linux Mint, the following should give you working Plex Media Server:
Ubuntu
For Ubuntu installation, add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://plex.r.worldssl.net/PlexMediaServer/ubuntu-repo lucid main
Then add the repository key:

$ cd ~/
$ wget http://plexapp.com/plex_pub_key.pub
$ sudo apt-key add plex_pub_key.pub
$ rm plex_pub_key.pub
Then install with the following command:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver
However, I think given the hardware constraints (even my N54L is underpowered (1419 CPU Mark Score), the Atom in the Joggler scores 222) you will need to go command line only - the overhead of the desktop, no matter how small, will impact your performance.

Have you reconsidered installing SqueezePlay OS to the eMMC and removing SqueezePlay?
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Also, out of interest, what would you have the Joggler serving the NowTV boxes should your laptop be off? Is there media stored locally to them that Plex will be serving?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Hi Jimeney , yes I got it working and could stream a TV channel from PMS to the now TV box .
There are lots of channels on Plex that would still work if my server is off , but I would probably attach an external HDD with some content on as well .
Yes the idea about Squeeze play os either internal or emmc sounds like the sort of way forward.
PMS works great and I only discovered it due to the cheap hacked NowTv boxes with Plexus Rarflix sideloaded , with the Android or iOS plex apps you can stream your stuff anywhere , it would be great for a music server as well but for this I need SD video .
Cheers
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Sorry that reply is long winded , if the joggler running PMS was at their house they could stream all the Plex channels and also they would still have a share with my server when on :-)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

OK

Did a drawing.
plex-5.jpg
Tell me what to test with the setup. I can add media via a USB port. It plays back media from NAS boxes fine. I can try a WAN NAS connection to see the playback.

BTW like the Plex server such that it will be added to my multimedia servers running. (MythTV, Squeezebox server and PlayOnTV)

1 - Installed PlexServer on Joggler (OF1) that had (BuzzBuntu) Ubuntu 12.10.

login as: root
root@192.168.244.229's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.2.53joggler1 i686
plex-3.jpg
No issues installing it. Also playing with OpenHab on said machine.

This is an installation using a USB SSD and PATA SSD drive.

Just realized (via a PM) that the whole CPU / Heatsink arrangement on the OF1 is way different than the O2 Joggler.
Yes that would work for the O2 Joggler.

Personally I wouldn't utilize the 1Gb MMC for the Plex installation. Better to utilize an 8 Gb USB SSD stick. (that is my opinion though).

If you want to utilize wireless you can also now purchase little mini 802.11 AC sticks for a bit more speed.

The OF1 has a large metal heatsink across the back of the device which probably does work way better than that rubber thing.

The specfic OF1 that I am testing with sits on my workbench connected to a POE switch and its probably been on now 24/7 for over 8 months or so.

Note too that the OF2 has a larger heatsink than the OF1. (its massive using the entire back of the motherboard).
HeatSink-1.jpg
Here is a picture of the O2 Joggler heatsink.
plex-4.jpg
Here is a picture of the OF2 heatsink
OF2-Heatsink.jpg
Via a remote SSH connection to Joggler did:

$ wget -c downloads.plexapp.com/plex-media-server/0.9.8.6.175-88ffbb2/plexmediaserver_0.9.8.6.175-88ffbb2_i386.deb
$ sudo dpkg -i plexmediaserver_0.9.8.6.175-88ffbb2_i386.deb
$ sudo apt-get install -f
2 - Installed PlexXBMC plugin on Ubuntu XBMC box connected to office LCD TV.

Note that the XBMC box is an Aopen DE (core duo) running off a 16Gb SSD drive. This today is my standard XBMC box which I have connected to a number of LCD TVs in the house (got a deal on them a while back). (all utilize MS Media remote controls).

Both of the above are connected via a Gb link to a Gb managed switch.

Installed one PBS channel and played back an HD / 1080 television show.

No jittering on playback on LCD TV that I can see. Video and sound run fine.

Here are pics from web interface from office desktop computer via Firefox browser.
plex-1.jpg
plex-2.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater