Help wanted with PNP III please

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
Nodifer

Help wanted with PNP III please

Post by Nodifer »

Im normally fine with following instructions, but guess i must be doing something wrong.
Reflashed OS ok with USB stick using option B (tried option A but without success!)
Downloaded the PNP III files and unpacked, copied to USB stick (same one as above after a reformat) and............... well nothing actually, thats the problem. Reboot just send the joggler back into the openpeak home screen, seemingly not reading from the USB, which I assume must be ok as it was used for the reflash
So where am I going wrong?
Any help would be much appreciated
offbeatdave

Re: Help wanted with PNP III please

Post by offbeatdave »

Can you try the Telnet/Putty method?

I've just re-read the post above and saw you used the OpenPeak reflasher. PnP III installation cannot be done from boot if this reflasher is used. Therefore you need the following instructions from the PnP III thread:
Jogglers reflashed with the original OpenPeak reflasher

1) Make sure your Joggler is clean.
As of 14th June 2012 there is a brand new OpenPeak USB reflasher available to download
from ftp://ftp.exotica.org.uk/pub/joggler/fi ... -14.img.gz
which should fix networking issues if you use PnP III v3.038 onwards.
DONE!
2) Unzip the downloaded archive and copy all the files to a formatted USB stick .
Make sure any hidden files are copied.
Make sure there is no 'remove_for_new_install' file on the root USB stick
3) Make sure your joggler is connected to your network.
Although internet access is not required to install PnP III,
you need network access to be able to Telnet in!
4) Plug the PnP III USB stick into a updated Joggler.
5) Telnet into the Joggler via a computer. The username is root and there is no password.
(open <your Joggler's IP address>)
4) Type in:
cd /mnt/files <press Enter>
./pnp3op.sh <press Enter>
6) Loads of stuff will scroll up the Telnet window whilst the mods are installed.
7) The Joggler should eventually reboot into the OS with all the new apps and icons
8) If it is present, remove the 'remove_for_new_install' file from the USB stick after use.
"EVERY DAY I'M JOGGLERING!"
Jogglering since Dec '09;
Tinkering with Jogglers since Feb '10 thanks to PMJ, Jogtools, PnP & sqpOS;
Gave something back Feb '12 to Apr '14 with PnP Mk II & PnP III;
Finally 'completed' PnP III Apr '15!
Nodifer

Post by Nodifer »

Many thanks for reply. Guessed I must have screwed up somewhere.
I have tried the Telnet method, but with Telnet when I enter the IP address of joggler all I get is ''invalid command'' so im guessing Telnet is not recognising the joggler ( connected via ethernet)
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Did you manage to install pnp III? I have three jogglers, two with squezzeplay2 and one with pnpiii (previouw versions). I tried installing pnp in all of my devices, but i wasn't able to install as the usb i was using, and i tried a lot, where not working. Unfortunatelly the joggler with pnp intalled freezes from time to time, therefore i tried installing latest pnp wiht no success. I want to keep pnp, but if there if no better way to isntall this, i will use squeezeplay on this one too. I tried both methods, method one that seems easier, openpeak boots without installing pnp. When using second method with telnet i get can't cd etc. I formated my disk using fat, fat32, but nothing
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

What happens after you switch your joggler on with your freshly prepared PNPIII stick in it ?
Happy Joggling
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

It boots directly in openpeak home screen
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Option A is the way I always do it and it works fine every time , reflash the original ,tweaked 30300 firmware from Roobarbs Birdslikewires web site , (links in PNP III thread ),on to your volunteer Joggler .
Reboot it and make sure you have a booting working machine .
Prepare the PNP III stick , switch off the Joggler , put in the stick and switch on then go away , have a bath , chase the wife, kids , dog etc around the house , leave it for what seems like ages and when you come back you should have a pimped PNP III joggler.
The reason I mention waiting is that this is how I messed up to start with ,there is no real indication things are working whilst the reflash is going on but if it is left alone all will be good hopefully :-)
Post back on your progress in the PNP III thread if you don't mind , it just might help others in future and won't get lost in the threads
Good luck
Happy Joggling
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Thanks for the reply, i will try and inform
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Ok this is what i did:
1. Installed reflash using Win32DiskImager on a Kingston usb.
2.Copied of1_30300_openpeak.img and of1_30300_openpeak.img.gz.md5 in reflash folder
3.Insert usb in joggler and then reboot (after this openpeak firmware is installed)
4.Format udb drive
5.Copy latest pnpiii zip in usb and then uzip everything inside the usb
6.Insert usb in joggler and reboot ( while booting, i see usb drive blinking-it then boots again in openpeak home page and usb stops blinking)

How long does it usually take to install using this method? I have been waiting for 40 minuites but nothing changed...
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

The only things I do different are
Use the HP utilities tool to reformat the USB stick first .
I only ever use Win 32 Disk Imager version 0.3 as other versions would not work for me .Also I would put the zipped file on my desktop and extract it to the stick not from within the USB stick .
And yes I think 40 minutes is probably too long
Don't give up
If you still have no luck I will re flash one of mine and talk you through exactly what I did .
Happy Joggling
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

oK will try again using hp storage tool
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

Ok good news!!! I tried formatting the USB using hp tool and it seems to install fine!! What I did differently was to use hp tool to make a full format( NOT a quick format!) I don't know if installation succeeded because of the tool or the fat32 full format, but everything installed fine! Thanks
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Great news :-)
Before I do any USB stick building I do as you have just done
HP utilities format
Win32 disk imager 0.3
I found out the hard way like yourself but the above seems to work every time now
Happy Joggling