Joggler KitKat 4.4.2 beta (24/3/14)

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
gegs

Re: Joggler KitKat 4.4.2 beta (24/3/14)

Post by gegs »

That's what I discovered after reading some of the other Android posts. It's a pity although it's still useful for other things.

I'm going to give Squeezeplay a try to see if it has a better touch controlled display than Squeezeplay OS. I may just use Joggler Android as a Squeezebox controller/news reader/weather forecaster, which would still be pretty good.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I use my Android Joggler mainly as a Squeezebox player/controller and for keeping an eye on email & weather forecasts. Although with your 7 Jogglers you could afford to use each one for a separate app :-)
jim_lewis1

Post by jim_lewis1 »

Taking note of the comments re lack of video on Android/Joggler, would it be possible to install the Android Netflix app and cast to a Chromecast or similar?

It wouldn't matter that there's no video playingon the Joggler if it could be used as a 'head unit' for finding and sending video to chromecast which then does the work of playng the video.

At the moment I'm using either my laptop or phone to find stuff on Netflix which is a bit cumbersome, using the Joggler for this task would make life a bit easier.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

dwl99 wrote:I use my Android Joggler mainly as a Squeezebox player/controller and for keeping an eye on email & weather forecasts. Although with your 7 Jogglers you could afford to use each one for a separate app :-)
Mmm, sounds interesting. I just runup the kitkat build on a sapre usb stick but can't see any squeezebox players in the store. Can you tell me which one you are using, thanks.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Squeezeplayer https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eezeplayer turns the Joggler into a player and you can then use the Squeezebox app https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eboxremote to control it. There's a better player app called SB Player https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.sbplayer but it needs Android 4.1 and up. There's also a very good paid alternative to the Squeezebox app called Squeeze Control https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.sqzctrl and this will run on the ICS Android build - it has a very nice tablet interface and can be used with Squeezeplayer.
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Great, thanks for the links.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

There appears to be some conflict between the bootloader being used for android, and the bootloader for sqPOS as I was trying and failing to get this to boot on my joggler with sqPOS installed to eMMC.

I reflashed back to stock, and this booted first time.

It's a little frustrating that android can't 'coexist' with a joggler running sqPOS. Any ideas on what I might be able to investigate to allow it to boot?
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I think there is a thing called Refit or something like that that allows multiple os on boot but it requires a keyboard plugged in I believe
Might be better posting on the sqos thread as others may have had the issue :-)
here this might help , not exactly what you want but here goes
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=321
Happy Joggling
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jimeney wrote:There appears to be some conflict between the bootloader being used for android, and the bootloader for sqPOS as I was trying and failing to get this to boot on my joggler with sqPOS installed to eMMC.

I reflashed back to stock, and this booted first time.

It's a little frustrating that android can't 'coexist' with a joggler running sqPOS. Any ideas on what I might be able to investigate to allow it to boot?
The boot files on the Android build don't live on the first drive partition as expected - they're on the second or third, IIRC. Under SQPOS, try modifying the /boot/startup.nsh file to add in more boot locations (ie. fs2, fs3, etc).

The basic chain for SQPOS is startup.nsh > boot.nsh > GRUB > initrd > Ubuntu / SQPOS. Have a compare of the startup.nsh from your stock system and see what is different.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mrparp

Post by mrparp »

Re this Android image. It works first time I boot, but every time I shut down or power the joggler down, it will not boot it again. Sticks on the animated 'android' boot screen. Tried 2 diff usb sticks and different ways to shutdown (using 'power off' option, using sync/shutdown in cli), still no joy. This makes it unusable for me which is a shame cos it basically does everything else I need.

Anyone else seeing that?
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Anyone using wired ethernet with their android joggler? I see notes that it can be done using the command line, is it as simple as editing /etc/networking/interfaces or as I being too optimistic?
verg0

Post by verg0 »

Hi I havent been arround for awhile, is this the latest version of android for the joggler?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes but root doesn't work and no play store AFAIK
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Can confirm play store definitely works, root I'm not so sure about, but I think I saw SuperUser as an app when I last used it.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

That's great if play store is working now. Can you try installing the root checker app? The original 4.4.2 version also had Superuser but it didn't work.
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

Will try later, however notes against the newer build 2nd April 14 I think, state fixed superuser, and google play
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, this fixed build had passed me by! Is is just a matter of flashing the .img file with win32diskimager or does it need anything more complicated to compile it?
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

All you need to do is flash it. I will give you a quick warning however that this will only work on a stock Joggler (ie running Openpeak / o2 OS). I scratched my head for days as I couldn't get it to boot successfully, and it turned out it was because the bootloader in SqueezePlay OS was interfering with it.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

cheers, will definitely try it out. Any other bugs or glitches you have come across?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

mrparp wrote:Re this Android image. It works first time I boot, but every time I shut down or power the joggler down, it will not boot it again. Sticks on the animated 'android' boot screen. Tried 2 diff usb sticks and different ways to shutdown (using 'power off' option, using sync/shutdown in cli), still no joy. This makes it unusable for me which is a shame cos it basically does everything else I need.

Anyone else seeing that?
This happens with me too. I've reflashed but still no success beyond the first boot. Play store & root seem OK although I did notice the wifi connection dropped a couple of times. I wonder what the problem might be?