IP Camera Streaming

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
SuperSaf

IP Camera Streaming

Post by SuperSaf »

Hi,
I've just dug out my old Joggler and reflashed it with the OpenPeak image and loaded on PNP III on to it and been tinkering about with it!

Was just wondering, anyway to use it as an IP Camera viewer? I'm thinking just as a cam monitor. Literally touch the screen and touch the camera you want to view to bring it up?

Anyone had any luck with something like this? Any software to use?

Opera browser doesn't really want to stream the cams and isn't so good at it!

Hope someone can help.

Saf
pete

Re: IP Camera Streaming

Post by pete »

You can install XBMC on a stick and customize an IP Camera stream as a favorite. Works here just fine.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

SuperSaf wrote:Was just wondering, anyway to use it as an IP Camera viewer? I'm thinking just as a cam monitor. Literally touch the screen and touch the camera you want to view to bring it up?
I've been messing about with ZoneMinder - it's pretty well suited to the Joggler and could be used as a back-end system with some sort of web browser running in the foreground. You'd need plenty of storage to make use of the recording functions, but it could be pretty swish.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
BigT

Post by BigT »

I use mine for this.
Have a webcam connected to hub. Using XP and yawcam
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Can also be done with a Raspberry Pi https://medium.com/random-things/2d5a2d61da3d
pete

Post by pete »

Using Ubuntu 12.10 been testing out various means of live video streaming using Zoneminder, VLC, propietary flash interace and XBMC.

On the XP side you can do similiar. I am streaming to my automation touch clients in Linux and Windows and Android.

You can also do a single stream of SD / HD IP RTSP or MJPG / Live TV streaming with a command line saved in VLC. Works great. I am not sure if I crashed out XBMC just now doing the two below RDP sessions. I have left XBMC running / streaming a live TV view to see if I can break it. I have not.

Running Zoneminder on the Joggler with a couple of IP camera feeds should not be an issue. What is neato about Zoneminder is that it is open and you can create your own interface with it running in the backround. I have done this with a variety of mobile views of Zoneminder which would also work just fine with the Joggler. (ajax and stuff).

Zoneminder will act as a reverse proxy such that you can add numerous cameras and utilize one interface accessing it locally and via the internet. Works way better than opening up your firewall to individual camera feeds.

Today I have two Zoneminder servers set up. One was a hybrid of analog and digital cameras and the other one today is pure IP cameras set up.

Box #1 is Zoneminder set up with an 8 port analog capture card and the Joggler talking Ubuntu 12.10 accessing the ZM box with Firefox. It is also configured with IP SD and HD cameras. The SD IP cameras do mjpg streaming and the HD IP cameras do RTSP streaming. It is configured for 16 cameras; IE: 8 analog and 8 IP.

I have no issues streaming SD video using capture card or older SD IP cameras with Zoneminder and the Joggler.
Analog-1.jpg
Box #2 is Zoneminder set up only with RTSP IP HD cameras (more than what you see here right now). It is only configured today for Grandstream IP HD cameras. (playing around with using SIP et al on the cameras as its built in). Zoneminder doesn't do SIP yet.
IP-1.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Nice set up Pete :-)
If you want simple Android works also as long as you are happy with the video quality ....
Happy Joggling
SuperSaf

Post by SuperSaf »

I remember using XBMC years ago on the joggler but it seemed a bit sluggish. I'm sure it's improved now though, so look forward to trying it out soon.

Thanks dwl99, but I've already got the camera's. Just wanting to use the Joggler as a simple camera viewer.

Hmm, Android on my list to try out again as well. Just need to get a new set of USB sticks. That might be good with an cam viewer app.

Roobarb/Pete - Zoneminder! I've been looking at Zoneminder and was thinking of installing it on a spare RaspPi that I've got. But how would I go about installing it on a Joggler with PNP installed? As it's web based, how could I go about using it to stream the camera feeds? The Opera browser wouldn't stream my original camera feed well…

Saf
koalauk

Post by koalauk »

Been using it for thast for over a year now,

Android as OS
and Ip cam Viewer the app
nicely done, I access to my CCTV dvr remotely over the network,
pete

Post by pete »

Yup XBMC works well these days. That said the simpler the better. One VLC command line to the IP camera works well.

It would be difficult to install Zoneminder on a base Joggler OS with PnP installed. Easy for Ubuntu. I utilized Firefox to stream the video above. It worked fine. As Roobarb stated; recordings will occupy a bit of space.

I do utilize a script today that takes all of your events for one day and combines them to one video file. Works well.
- Pete

Auto mater