Squeezeplay OS and Internal Wifi

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
andyf

Squeezeplay OS and Internal Wifi

Post by andyf »

Hi,

I have bought a couple of the ex betting shop Jogglers, and intend to run them with Squeezeplay OS flashed internally.

However, they don't come with an internal USB wifi card (Looks like it was removed, along with the antennae). Can anybody recommend something that is compatible with Squeezeplay OS?

Thanks.

Andy.
JimbobVFR400

Re: Squeezeplay OS and internal Wifi

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

I might have a spare original card. Personally I remove the WiFi on mine and run SqPOS from a USB stick but mounted internally.

I'd probably suggest however upgrading to a better one, Roobarb the author of SqPOS has mentioned a specific card in the SqPOS thread and has added the appropriate drivers to the latest version.
andyf

Post by andyf »

Cheers Jimbob. I was looking at the mention in the SqPOS thread but it only seems to mention the chipset, and not a specific card. Maybe I need to read it again.
JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Found it

This is the thread
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1879

And the card is a Netgear WNDA3200.

However I've no idea if the card will work with other OSs or indeed the original OS/PNP3 so I guess it depends on what your plans for this Joggler are.
andyf

Post by andyf »

Cheers. It'll be solely for SqPOS so that should be fine. Thanks for the help.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:And the card is a Netgear WNDA3200.
It'll work a treat with SQPOS. I use one all the time. :)

Hmm, now I need to check my betting shop Joggler - I never even checked the wifi situation!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
johnnygal

Post by johnnygal »

Does the Netgear WNDA3200 have better range? Is it small enough to fit in the same position as the current internal wifi "stick"?

Cheers.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

johnnygal wrote:Does the Netgear WNDA3200 have better range? Is it small enough to fit in the same position as the current internal wifi "stick"?
I only use mine on 5GHz (which has virtually no traffic around me, while 2.4GHz is super busy) and it's spot-on. When you get the WNDA3200, remove the cap and pop the two sides of the case apart - you'll be left with a skinny blue circuit board. It actually fits better than the original card!

You should be able to attach the 2.4GHz antennae from the Joggler to the sockets on the board as well - I haven't tried this and those antennae are definitely only tuned to 2.4GHz, so don't expect them to do anything for 5GHz performance if you connect them.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Just a little followup on this - I've set up another Joggler with the WNDA3200 running SQPOS v2.06. Removed the standard card and popped out the old 2.4GHz antennae so they don't interfere, dropped in the uncased WNDA3200. Configured SqueezePlay to connect to my 5GHz SSID only (our 5GHz network has a slightly different name). Perfect.

This one was having loads of dropped packets and interference with the Ralink RT2770 card. On the new one it's top notch. Only downside is that the WNDA3200 gets bloomin' warm - but then it did when I was testing it on the PC, so I shan't worry.

Now I just have to find the screws for this Joggler. Took it apart months ago!
fattybacon

Re: Squeezeplay OS and Internal Wifi

Post by fattybacon »

Since the WNDA3200 has been superseded now, what other 5Ghz usb wifi dongles can I use? I saw in your sqpos changelog that you've added more support for different chipsets.
roobarb!

Re: Squeezeplay OS and Internal Wifi

Post by roobarb! »

fattybacon wrote:Since the WNDA3200 has been superseded now, what other 5Ghz usb wifi dongles can I use? I saw in your sqpos changelog that you've added more support for different chipsets.
I added ath10 drivers... No idea on what other models you could use, though. WNDA3200 cards are easy to get though, if you don't fancy trying a few out. Doesn't matter if it's been superseded - it fits and it works!