Win 8.1 on joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: Win 8.1 on joggler

Post by pete »

No.

There is no terminal that you can get to with the updated Joggler OS (the one that runs PnP etc). with a keyboard plugged into the side.

You will need to look at the IP address and use a computer to SSH to the Joggler.

Put the USB stick with the new coreboot.bin on the side USB port on the Joggler.

SSH to the Joggler. Go to the media directory and you will see the coreboot.bin file. Then do the above written stuff. This will change your Joggler such that it boots into the Seabios boot instead of the EFI boot.

I only used the keyboard and mouse after running Windows 8.1 and wanting to change some stuff (name, IP et al). The touch stuff worked fine without a keyboard or mouse.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

So what are your instructions about? I admit to being confused! :oops:
E - you will now be booting via the coreboot.rom - (v.06 SeaBIOS (version 1.7.0)) - there will be a little icon of a shark on the bottom right hand side of the screen when booting and prompts for hitting the F7 key or F16 key. Note that the F16 key is really the F12 key.
A - note the BIOS prompts when rebooting; IE: F7 or F16. Hitting the F7 (bios upgrade) key on your keyboard will look at the root drive for a file named upgrade.rom. I have named the original attached rom same said name such that you can restore the O2 EFI boot ROM back using this file. Hitting the F12 key will provide a multi choice boot menu say if you have a CD rom plugged into your Joggler..
pete

Post by pete »

Apologies.

Once that you have loaded the Seabios/Coreboot you will no longer have an "Openpeak" logo boot.

Rather the boot like a regular PC BIOS will show the prompts at the time for either a boot menu or a firmware flash.

By default the Joggler will boot the first drive (or in this case the Windows 8.1 Stick).

You do not need to use your keyboard though.

The F16 (F12) prompts are there if you are multiple device booting; IE: DVD, USB stick and say a USB Drive OR if you want to reflash you BIOS back to the Openframe Joggler EFI Bios.

Personally here for the XP Jogglers just installed XP via a CD Rom drive plugged into a USB port; made it easy with the Seabios/Coreboot; like a regular computer.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

If someone seeds the bittorrent so I can download it, I'm happy to seed it on my 120/12mbps link between 11pm and 4pm - when I won't get traffic managed :? .
pete

Post by pete »

I've put half of it here cuz I ran out of room. Its three zip files. I'll leave these up for another day then replace them with the last 3 zip files of six.

If you PM me and provide me with an email address; I do get extra storage if you register via my link. You can utilize any email to do this and I still get credit. I only have 3 Gb of storage and using one leaves 2 Gb of storage. I get 500 mb of storage with everyone that registers with dropbox.

This links will be up from now until tomorrow at around the same time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srsupnwdrdhb9md/KC5BDpgQen
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Last night did update the Realtek drivers with the posted on the Realtek site 8.X files.

Still doing the same; with error "This device cannot start (Code 10)"

Realtek driver date is: 12/18/2013 Version 8.24.1218.2013

BTW for the Wintel Jogglers today I am using an Asix chipped USB to NIC. I did notice that there was a proliferation of cloned not Asix mini Mac looking like clones on Ebay; really cheap; real junk.
- Pete

Auto mater
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

pete wrote:Personally here for the XP Jogglers just installed XP via a CD Rom drive plugged into a USB port; made it easy with the Seabios/Coreboot; like a regular computer.
Will Seabios/Coreboot only boot Windows? I seem to remember there were some problems firing up Linux - is this still the case?
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
pete

Post by pete »

Yup and no.

MickChip did get a version of Linux to run on the Joggler with Coreboot/Seabios.

I can't find the link; I think that it resembled "puppy linux".

Thing was that the Coreboot/Seabios was sort of incomplete (half baked enough to run Wintel only).

The above noted; the neato thing was that it booted from the ZIF connected pata port with no modifications. I cannot to date boot the EFI stuff via the pata port SSD drive.

You can too today find little flat SSD's. I am using 16Gb; but have seen 32 and 64Gb little SSDs.

With this stuff though you can make a little music NAS box; self contained without a USB connected drive.

On the Linux side of things and using Buzz's 12.10 build doing XBMC, SP, custom touch stuff and TTS and it works fine; well sort of. Mono is a bit slow running.
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Here you go, DSL Dam Small Linux, just found my cd and yes this is using coreboot/seabios.
Attachments
IMG_0182.jpg
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

I tried when I saw yours and never could get the video working. Did you do anything special?
- Pete

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Yes, when it you get to the boot prompt press F3 and choose "dsl vga=786" then press enter. later in the boot process choose fbdev for the video.
If you can't get it to work let me know and I'll load it up again and write it down properley.
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks mickchip!

Yup here when playing with the multiboot OS EFI; it always seems to hang on the EFI USB/Internal MMC or the EFI PATA port unless I do the choosing with a keyboard manually.
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

I have removed zipped files #1, 2 & 3 of the Win 8.1 stuff.

That said uploading files #4, 5 & 6.

Here is the directory link. (still uploading)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srsupnwdrdhb9md/KC5BDpgQen
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks Pete , i will have to get these in reverse as i missed parts 1 . 2 and 3 , will you repost them please in a couple of days , i am downloading 4 . 5 and 6 now .
Nice to see Dan back on here :-) ....
Happy Joggling
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Is this showing as no seeds? its in my utorrent and seeding, so you shpould be able to leech from me, :)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

Same here. I'm seeding but no one is downloading.
castalla

Post by castalla »

Could you give a link?
pete

Post by pete »

Will post back files #1, 2 & 3 tomorrow around same time.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Thanks for people seeding but where are you seeding to / from , no links that I can see now is this on bit torrents ?
Cheers
Happy Joggling
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

hawsey wrote:Thanks for people seeding but where are you seeding to / from , no links that I can see now is this on bit torrents ?
Cheers
Thanks Pete also
Happy Joggling