Win 8.1 on joggler

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jimeney

Re: Win 8.1 on joggler

Post by jimeney »

hawsey wrote:Thanks Pete , the instructions look great but I need a bit of time to try this .
I haven't tried ssh yet so I need to do some research I think :-)
It looks complicated to a layman like myself but will give it a go ...
I will be needing the above win 8.1 image at some point as well guys .
Cheers
Ditto, I'm happy to pop this on a private dropbox / google drive etc?
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

After restoring the 8.1 image to a usb ssd i'm having problems with the mouse cursor jumping allover the place.
Not sure if it's the image or my joggler.

________________ After two or three minutes it seems to have settled down _____________________
Last edited by mickchip on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jogglermaniac
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

mickchip wrote:After restoring the 8.1 image to a usb ssd i'm having problems with the mouse cursor jumping allover the place.
That happens with Xserver sometimes too - it usually settles down pretty quickly, though.

Is anybody seeding your image any more? I have Transmission sat at 90.9% complete here. :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

roobarb! wrote:
mickchip wrote:After restoring the 8.1 image to a usb ssd i'm having problems with the mouse cursor jumping allover the place.
That happens with Xserver sometimes too - it usually settles down pretty quickly, though.

Is anybody seeding your image any more? I have Transmission sat at 90.9% complete here. :)
Any chance of sharing the torrent? The link seems to have been removed.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jimeney wrote:Any chance of sharing the torrent? The link seems to have been removed.
Not much point if I've only got 90% - happy to do so if mickchip starts seeding again. I want to see a photo of your Joggler with a Windows COA sticker on it, though! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

I will seed again for the rest of today, been using Mavericks on my main PC but back to windows now.
Attachments
jogglerwin.img.zip.torrent
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Jogglermaniac
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

I wrote the image to a normal 8GB usb stick and no way would the joggler boot from it (thought it may be a bad stick),
but I just tried it in my Q1 Ultra and it booted up no problem ( these jogglers are very finicky about boot media )
Attachments
IMG_0177.jpg
Jogglermaniac
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

roobarb! wrote:
jimeney wrote:Any chance of sharing the torrent? The link seems to have been removed.
Not much point if I've only got 90% - happy to do so if mickchip starts seeding again. I want to see a photo of your Joggler with a Windows COA sticker on it, though! :)
So details of my MSDN Premium account are not good enough!?!?!
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

mickchip wrote:I will seed again for the rest of today, been using Mavericks on my main PC but back to windows now.
Downloading now, will seed for a while once complete.

Another Hackintosher I see? Not using it on a PC but a Dell n5110 i7 with 16GB RAM and an e6220 i5 with 10GB RAM both running flawlessly :)
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

Nice! downloading the image now cheers fella :)
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you MickChip! Neato!

How fast is the Q1 Ultra? Do you like it?

Nice to see you on the forum Dan!

Hawsey; what is a neato thing with the O2 is that the EFI boot chip is socketed and easy to "fix" with a hot swap should something occurr. If you want you can also make up an EFI O2 boot chip and a Core/Seabios chip and just swap between the two chips.

Just started seeding it this morning. It went really fast last night; download speeds were from 800-1 Mb plus. Watching the uploading seeds now and they are around 30-50kB/s near Chicago. Never really did the "torrent" thing; very nice.

That said initially wrote it on a regular USB stick. It ran OK but got a bit corrupted after a couple of boots. I then wrote it to an SSD USB stick where it worked well. No way though would it boot from a USB hub; started a couple of times then went to MS errors such that I decided it was easier to just utilize internal or external port. I have not written the image to a ZIF SSD yet though. I have a few of the USB SSDs here to play with. The image worked well with the built in wireless drivers. Current setup is using a hub on side port and USB SSD inside. The hub is connected to a keyboard, mouse, DVD ROM and a Realtek wireless stick.

It is faster than the W7 build I played with a while ago. Prior to testing on the Joggler did a quickie 64bit and 32 bit W81 VM.

I had no issues with the 32 bit text to speech stuff (Neospeech) on both the 64 bit and 32 bit VMs of W81.

Tested image on the original O2 Joggler and Openframe 1.0.

On the Openframe 1.0 sound initially defaulted to the DECT USB pieces; changed it to the internal audio chip and all was fine.

Touch is responsive and quick (for me it is).

I am seeing though same issue with the built in Realtek Gb NIC; erroring out on both the O2 Joggler and Openframe 1.0.

I did also try to do an online update of the internal Realtek Gb driver and it saids it OK. Kind of similiar with the XP Realtek OS; sometimes working fine even with reboots; then just erroring out and staying that way.

Tried a bit to install SAPI drivers; installed SDK but still not getting them to work.

Played with this stuff until the wee hours of the morning....2:30 AM (not good considering was up at 4:30 AM)....addictive!

Thank-you for posting the W81 torrent and your image.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
danfoshizzle

Post by danfoshizzle »

pete wrote:Thank-you MickChip! Neato!

How fast is the Q1 Ultra? Do you like it?

Nice to see you on the forum Dan!

Hawsey; what is a neato thing with the O2 is that the EFI boot chip is socketed and easy to "fix" with a hot swap should something occurr. If you want you can also make up an EFI O2 boot chip and a Core/Seabios chip and just swap between the two chips.

Just started seeding it this morning. It went really fast last night; download speeds were from 800-1 Mb plus. Watching the uploading seeds now and they are around 30-50kB/s near Chicago. Never really did the "torrent" thing; very nice.

That said initially wrote it on a regular USB stick. It ran OK but got a bit corrupted after a couple of boots. I then wrote it to an SSD USB stick where it worked well. No way though would it boot from a USB hub; started a couple of times then went to MS errors such that I decided it was easier to just utilize internal or external port. I have not written the image to a ZIF SSD yet though. I have a few of the USB SSDs here to play with. The image worked well with the built in wireless drivers. Current setup is using a hub on side port and USB SSD inside. The hub is connected to a keyboard, mouse, DVD ROM and a Realtek wireless stick.

It is faster than the W7 build I played with a while ago. Prior to testing on the Joggler did a quickie 64bit and 32 bit W81 VM.

I had no issues with the 32 bit text to speech stuff (Neospeech) on both the 64 bit and 32 bit VMs of W81.

Tested image on the original O2 Joggler and Openframe 1.0.

On the Openframe 1.0 sound initially defaulted to the DECT USB pieces; changed it to the internal audio chip and all was fine.

Touch is responsive and quick (for me it is).

I am seeing though same issue with the built in Realtek Gb NIC; erroring out on both the O2 Joggler and Openframe 1.0.

I did also try to do an online update of the internal Realtek Gb driver and it saids it OK. Kind of similiar with the XP Realtek OS; sometimes working fine even with reboots; then just erroring out and staying that way.

Tried a bit to install SAPI drivers; installed SDK but still not getting them to work.

Played with this stuff until the wee hours of the morning....2:30 AM (not good considering was up at 4:30 AM)....addictive!

Thank-you for posting the W81 torrent and your image.

I'll seed this till everyone has it, if the pc is on, it will be seeding. I'll try and get on a bit more, dust off my joggler cap so to speak lol :P
Fullscreen squeezeplay windows, server 2003, foshiz mini v1 and v2, (and a few broken builds) :P so far.....
more to come!!

Jogglers " Obi Wan" according to Pete_c :D
pete

Post by pete »

Will test it today on the Openframe 7.0.

I have two configured right now in "test" mode with SSDs; one running Buzz's latest Ubuntu build and one running XP with Seabios.

I am curious if it'll work in Wintel 81 mode with the Openframe 7.0 sound chip.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
mickchip

Post by mickchip »

Q1 ULTRA is 800mhz Intel A110 processor but I have 2GB ram, screen is 1024x600 but you can use downscaling so can have 1024x768.
Compared to the joggler it's mega fast even with a full install of 8.1 must be all that memory.
I have four of these 2 x 600mhz and 2 x 800mhz all with wifi and 3g two with bluetooth, they are a great little machine and large capacity
battery lasts 6 hrs.
Attachments
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg
Jogglermaniac
pete

Post by pete »

Thank-you.

Very Nice!
- Pete

Auto mater
-=xXx=-

Post by -=xXx=- »

Hello...
If someone already downloaded the image can you please re upload it...
Thank you.
pete

Post by pete »

Seeding here from across the pond and its really slow; kibbles and bits per second....

...yesterday configuring my PFSense firewall for FTP totally locked myself out of my own network...rather than figure out what I did; I just restored it to where it was before I started to mess with it.

My dropbox account needs more credit as it sitting at just around 3Gb with 1 Gb being utilized. If you send me a pm with your email and sign up with dropbox then I will get some 500 Mb per user. I'll put it on there in 500mb chunks.
- Pete

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Ooooo I like the look of the Q1ultra :-)
Pete thats fine ,I will use my betting shop joggler initially for this and I still have the spare efi chip you did for me as the joggler it was in went caput .

A couple of questions , when I have this set up using your instructions above will I be left with a joggler that will boot Win8.1 off a stick plugged in to the side ?
Or will I need a USB hub with keyboard , mouse e.t.c
Also I have a small unpowered 750gb HDD and a dvd drive as well ,would I be better booting off that ?

I won't be soldering stuff on at the moment :o)
Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

A couple of questions , when I have this set up using your instructions above will I be left with a joggler that will boot Win8.1 off a stick plugged in to the side ?
It will boot off the stick plugged into the side. You can use touch to navigate. Its really nice. Always boots and fast. All it does is replace the EFI boot with a Seabios Coreboot. Its easy to go back to the Joggler O2 EFI boot. Note that it will not boot into Windows 8.1 with the stock EFI boot. When you are done writing the boot firmware you will see a little shark on the bottom left hand side of the screen.
Or will I need a USB hub with keyboard , mouse e.t.c
No you do not. I did plug in the W81 stick inside of the Joggler and used a combo keyboard mouse to navigate plugged into the side port.
Also I have a small unpowered 750gb HDD and a dvd drive as well ,would I be better booting off that ?
750Gb is way too big. The image is tiny; less than 8 Gb. Fast too. Not sure how it will work with a regular USB stick rather than an SSD USB.
Mine booted and rebooted a couple of times; then it got corrupted and I got that Windows error that I messed up my W8 computer.
I won't be soldering stuff on at the moment.
No soldering needed for this image.

Yup; the use of the kitchen oven here for baking electronics is very low on the WAF, noxious fumes are bad for my parrot and with the temperatures below zero its no fun to open windows. I put the circuit boards on little pieces of wood and aluminum. The wood did burn a tiny bit. This was not Joggler stuff though; rather it was other electronics. I had to explain why there were little pieces of burnt wood the kitchen counter tops.
- Pete

Auto mater
castalla

Post by castalla »

'' Or will I need a USB hub with keyboard ''

Pete's instructions imply that a keyboard is needed to set up the boot - is that correct?