NEVER BIN A JOGGLER

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
hawsey

Re: NEVER BIN A JOGGLER

Post by hawsey »

Great fixerising :-)
Hope it sticks for you , of the jogglers I have had , only one would not keep a reflash on internal so now I just boot from a small sized USB stick on that one
Happy Joggling
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

Hi guys.

Newbie Tech here
Found our Joggler tonight and tried to switch her on. All it displays is the Boot screen so I have been trying to use the reflash instructions and cant even get past first base http://birdslikewires.co.uk/openframe-flash!

When I try this command

Code: Select all

sudo umount -f /dev/disk2s2*
nothing happens but unmounts? the flash drive
then I try and run

gzip -dc reflash111_of.img.gz | sudo dd of=/dev/rdisk2s2 bs=1m
and returned this code

gzip: can't stat: reflash111_of.img.gz (reflash111_of.img.gz.gz): No such file or directory
dd: /dev/rdisk2: Resource busy
Yes, I have returned the reflash111_of.img.gz from the trash back to the downloads section

Can someone please advise of what I have done wrong please?

Paul
pete

Post by pete »

@ Paul. No. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Use another Linux PC GUI or the Joggler Buzz Ubuntu 14.04 GUI. Here I just install GPARTED and DISKS to Buzz's Ubuntu 14.04 build.

If you are not running that on the Joggler then do the stuff on another PC. Takes 5 minutes.

I use this methodology for writing the rewrite of the Openpeak firmware back to the Joggler, Openpeak devices.

Just write the original reflash image to a USB stick. Then just copy the image of what it is you want to use in the reflash directory.

1 - download the reflash system image here ==> http://birdslikewires.co.uk/openframe-flash

2 - write the reflash system to a USB stick. Takes 30 seconds with your average PC today.

3 - this will result in a readable FAT USB stick that is bootable. You can read this USB stick with Windows, Linux or iOS.

4 - copy your firmware to the rfl-boot volume there is a directory named reflash. IE: copied and pasted steps here ==>

A - Download the operating system image you would like to write, along with its MD5 file.
B - Copy both the compressed .img.gz file and its .img.gz.md5 counterpart into the reflash directory.
C - Eject the USB device.

5 - put the bootable stick in the Joggler and leave it alone while it rewrites the firmware. It will do this and shut off after a few minutes.

If you want to play with Buzz's Ubuntu builds just write the builds over to a USB stick and boot up with one.

Here utilize Buzz's Ubuntu builds on an integrated zif connected SSD drive. Last build I wanted more space for testing so I utilized a USB stick and SSD drive.
Hardware wise modes are an RTC with battery, PATA SSD and updated NIC ROM. I can suspend and WOL the Joggler these days just fine.

root@joggler:~# uname -a
Linux joggler 3.2.81joggler1 #48 SMP Fri Jul 1 23:38:41 UTC 2016 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

joggler:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 239M 4.0K 239M 1% /dev
tmpfs 50M 812K 49M 2% /run
/dev/sda3 15G 4.7G 9.1G 35% /
none 4.0K 0 4.0K 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 247M 80K 247M 1% /run/shm
none 100M 32K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/uba1 60M 24M 37M 39% /boot
/dev/uba2 7.4G 3.1G 4.0G 44% /home
tmpfs 136M 0 136M 0% /home/ramdisk

joggler:~# fdisk -l (16Gb + 8Gb= 24Gb of play space).
Disk /dev/sda: 16.0 GB, 16013942784 bytes
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1028 MB, 1028128768 bytes
Disk /dev/uba: 8042 MB, 8042577920 bytes

joggler:~# hwclock (* an RTC with battery now)
Sat 23 Jul 2016 09:12:15 CDT -0.677355 seconds

joggler:~# lspci (* a NIC with configuration as the default Joggler NIC rom is empty - blank)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

Hi Pete

Thanks for that.

After leaving it for 5 mins in the joggler, I can safely say that nothing is going to happen

When powering up the Joggler, there are lines going through on the Open Peak boot screen( as normal) then the boot screen displays correctly. After a couple of mins, the screen goes blank/black and nothing else happens after.

Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to get this back up and running for the wife

Paul
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

Think I will have to try and hunt for another USB drive

Don't know if this is promising but there are no lines on the boot screen anymore

Paul
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Make up a usb stick with the top Xubuntu build on it , not the base server , see if that will boot up .
If it won't , briefly outline how you are doing it an what machine / Os you are trying to make up your stick on

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5

Don't worry you will get there but it might take patience :-)

You will find the build on the first page of the thread .

Oh and welcome to the forum 8-)

Sent from my Smart Ultra 6 using Tapatalk
Happy Joggling
PaulL

Post by PaulL »

Hi Hawsey

Thank you for welcoming me :)

I used a TDK Media Trans It Drive Media USB (4GB) on a Mac

I have downloaded the XUbuntu software but now there isn't enough storage, still trying to hunt for a new device. Might be able to get one tomorrow but like me, I want it done now :)

Besides, I might need to buy a USB powered hub also and find an old keyboard.

IMHO, I think there is something majorly wrong with the device.

I don't want to give up but looks like my patience is running thin

Paul
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah try another stick.

Another issue is a faulting MMC in the Joggler that is a bit worn.

You will see the firmware writing but also a bunch of FSCK things over and over again. When the firmware stuff starts you will see a bunch of dull yellow text doing all sorts of things and a beeping to tell you it is doing stuff. You do not need a keyboard for this.

The 4Gb stick should work unless it a tad smaller than 4 Gb. Use an 8 Gb stick then use GParted to shrink the image and copy it over to a 4Gb stick.

I have over 20 Jogglers here on line 24/7 and have done the above for probably some 50 jogglers with no issues.

Only hardware issues I have had are busting one LCD screen (and it still worked), $5 Joggler with a bad Power supply, et al. No MMC / EFI Boot or USB issues to date here.

I do that sort of stuff all of the time.

Don't give up. Jogglers really do never break. They are very resilient.

Once you have a Buzz Ubuntu USB stick going do a check disk of the partitions on the MMC with GParted. You can reformat the paritions then copy over the original firmware manually partition by partition.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

I echo Pete , you can't break them really , I have a bag of USB sticks now ha ha ,
The lines you talk about will go once the device boots or has been on for a few minutes .
We really need to see if it will boot an image from a stick first before we decide you need the keyboard and mouse :-)
Try Squeeze play Os , I think that is smaller .
Good luck

http://birdslikewires.co.uk/squeezeplay-os

Happy Joggling
pete

Post by pete »

BTW welcome to the Joggler forum Paul.

I am an AI Joggler forum bot created here by Buzz and Roobarb! named Pete.

The avatar is of an old guy I liked pen named Mark Twain (his real name was Samuel Langhorne Clemens) who lived from from November 30, 1835 and died on April 21, 1910.
MT-Stuff.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
Man in a van

Post by Man in a van »

And there was me. all along thinking that rumours of his death were exaggerated :roll: :cry:

Ronnie
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

Love Tom Sawyer , read it in my teens .

Happy Joggling