New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
SimonH

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Twea

Post by SimonH »

dwl99 wrote:You could try this:
Sounds a bit long winded. I forgot you could just mount the image as a loopback device (sudo losetup /dev/loop0 /dev/sd<x>) and then run gparted on that (sudo gparted /dev/loop0), however when I looked at it with gparted it's actually it's a lot simpler - the partitions on 1.2.3 are 596MB, 997MB, 2007MB and then 528MB unallocated. So actually there's bags of unused space at the top of the image so it doesn't matter if it won't fit. Hence why just using dd until it ran out of space works fine on a 4GB stick. There's plenty of free space on a 4GB one once you've booted Android anyway.

(I don't know much about win32diskimager - perhaps it's got some options to allow you to still write the image if the target is not beig enough. If not maybe there's a better utility out there; alternatively just boot your PC into a Linux LiveCD/stick).

For using the Joggler more like a tablet I do like the look of the tiny Verbatim Netbook 8GB USB 2.0 Drive - ~£10 on Amazon.
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Fairy nuff. Win32diskimager won't allow the image to be written if it's too big.
SimonH

Post by SimonH »

dwl99 wrote:Android market is now broken for the Joggler due to changes made by Google. IMHO the 1.2.3 Android build is better - audio works and many more apps can run on it.
THanks for the suggestion! I've now got 1.2.3 and 1.2.4 running on Jogglers side-by-side so did a little comparison this afternoon. If you look at the first post on this discussion you'll see all the additons js_hero did to mijuu's build but I thought I'd try to summarise the different builds for other Android novices like myself (I have an HTC Android phone but not heavily customised).

Firstly, the similarities:
  • Both run Android 2.2.2 (kernel 2.6.35.7)
  • GMail works
  • Web browsing, ethernet and wifi works
  • The standard Andriod stuff generally seems to work & both have the very handy Button Savior app for virtual buttons
Now the main differences:
  • 1.2.4 has Dell Stage for the launcher (the thing showing the dock and allowing you to go from page to page), whereas 1.2.3 has the stock Android one. I hadn't realised such things existed as apps. The Dell launcher seems to be show a bit of the adjacent screen at each side (perhaps it wasn't designed for screen as wide as the Joggler).
  • 1.2.4 has Beautiful Widgets Lite which lives up to its name and has a very nice clock with weather (especially the Ice Cream Sandwich skin) - rather like the HTC Sense one if you're familiar with that.
  • Sound works on 1.2.3 (I haven't tried external) - it doesn't have any extra apps for sound control.
  • Market sort of works on 1.2.3 - I managed to install AdFree and LauncherPro; I still can't find quite a few apps though and some don't install (perhaps they're ARM-specific?)
  • Google calendar didn't find my Google Apps calendar in 1.2.3 whereas it did in 1.2.4 - jp_hero said there were some Google tweaks in 1.2.4 so presumably it's this kind of thing.
Here are some of the extra apps I notice installed in 1.2.4 and roughly what I think they're for:
  • Font Changer: changes to system font etc to "Darkginger" which is a more rounded font (a bit like Avant Garde) and does look nice.
  • Download All Files: this allows you to download .apk app files through the web browser - these seems pretty essential given the broken market.
  • beeb Player: BBC content - looks like it works but I haven't got the sound.
  • Dell Stage: shows pages of gallery pics, contacts etc. I think the pop-up button bar along the bottom (which I don't much like) is part of it.
  • Wallpaper Wizeradii: used to make any image into the right size for the background.
  • Widgetsoid (a control bar widget for switching on/off wifi, volume etc)
  • Some other bits and bobs: Lockscreen Calendar, Spare Parts, Zedge, VTL launcher
So at the moment I am finding the 1.2.3 build more useful given that it has sound and market partially working. At the moment I've only installed:
  • LauncherPro (free version): Apart from the Beautiful Widgets clock, I think I prefer this launcher - it works very smoothly (even with animations enabled) and just seems very clean to me. I did try to install BW but couldn't find it in the market.
  • AdFree
  • I'd like to install Download All Files, then Beautiful Widgets Lite if I can find the .apk somewhere, Font Changer and possibly one or two of the wallpaper things.
So it seems the Market (and the sound unfixing itself) is the biggest stumbling block. Apart from that I am well chuffed with Android on the Joggler - it really feels like it was made for it (the Joggler seems powerful enough, the screen size is good, the touch keyboard works fine for URLs, ideal for Google users, etc. I can't see going back to PnP or Ubuntu now 8-) Now for the next set of tweaks...
SB Radio 7.7.2, SqueezePlayOS v1.09(SP v1.53) on O2 Joggler, SB Touch/Quad 606/Heybrook .5
LMS 7.7.2-r33893 on Syno DS213+ NAS. ~4000 tracks & mostly listen to BBC.
Prev: 7.6.1 SSODS(thanks flip!) on LS-XHL; 7.6 on Joggler/Ubuntu; 7.3.3 on LS-GL
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Fancy Widget has a look that's near identical to the HTC Sense screen. It's no longer available from the market but the apk can be found via google. It's also included in a bundle of apps I uploaded a few posts back.

I'm also using Launcherpro but have found Go Launcher Ex to be similar in appearance and more stable on my Xperia X10i.

Jorte works very well as a calendar and syncs flawlessly. Dolphin HD is a good browser.

I really have no idea why anyone would prefer the 1.2.4 build over the 1.2.3 - the main differences seem to be a weird system font, a different launcher and a couple of easily obtainable apps.

EDIT - here is the link to the post with the apps http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... =180#p2897
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

DWL99 I Totally missed your apps pack (d/loading now) thanks.
I have to agree regarding the builds, my 1.2.3 build broke after being very stable for a couple of months so i tried 1.2.4 , initialy i was very impressed and a lot of thought has gone in to this build ; but unfortunately it is not stable and keeps crashing so i am back off to 1.2.3
Would it be possible to set up a joggler android repository for working apps? Or maybee just add to your pack, what do you think ?

Post moved to the 1.2.3 thread
Happy Joggling
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Good idea!

@Buzz - is a repo possible?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I've started a new unified Android thread at http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... 4537#p4537 - the duplication on the 2 threads was doing my head in :twisted:
Can I suggest that all future posts relating to Android are posted there?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

how much space do you need? i have the ftp repository if that is of use or you mean some official thing than can be used from an android app ?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

If there was some web-friendly interface available that people could upload to instead of using ftp that would be ideal.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

there isn't on my server, and I wouldn't have the time to implement something like that.
hawsey

Post by hawsey »

This was what i had seen http://www.aptoide.com/srv_install.html
which looks like you can just put all the apk files in a folder ; you just point your joggler with the aptoide app running at the newly created " JOGGLER APPS REPO " and your in business .
Buzz does this look like it would be a pain for you or is it something that once set up one of us mere motals would be able to own and do all the adding and removing of apps remotely ? I would be happy to do that .
Failing that maybee just adding the new apps to a mega pack type of thing that has allready been posted.
A Joggler repo would be really neat though ;)
Happy Joggling