New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jp_hero

New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

Post by jp_hero »

Thanks to xalior for hosting this mirror. The new link is just below. Sorry about the instability in the last few days.

Initial release with Googgle apps, working Market and now a load of tweaks and extras - 7th August
So we have all had a couple of weeks using the latest Rom from Mijuu. I have come up with another tweaked version of this.
This image can be found here http://joggler.xalior.com/mijuu_1.2.4_gapps_tweaked.zip I have shrunk this image to under 3.5gb so that most 4gb sticks should be able to fit this on. If you want to enlarge this you can use gparted to grow the partitions.
So what is new in this version I hear you ask? Well I have install a few non Market apps, along with a few Market apps, found some wallpapers suited to the Joggler along with a program to set them, installed a new widget picker to make it easier to scroll through the list of widgets and lastly I have installed the Dell Streak Stage Launcher and VTL Launcher. Both of the launchers are perfectly suited to the landscape orientation.
Once your Joggler has booted you will see a few folders onscreen, tap the startup one add wifi, set clocksync, add your Market details and then run QuikMarketLinks you need to establish links for the following apps (adbwireless, adfree, audiomanager, beautiful widgets, beautiful widgets animation addon, button savior, download all files, font changer, gallery excluder, homesmack, lockscreen calendar, maps, screen filter, spare parts, uninstaller, wallpaper wizardrii, widgetsoid and Zedge). This will ensure any updates are available to the apps are available through the Market. DO NOT link beebplayer as the newer version does not work.

The alarms folder contains an app called "screen filter" this knocks the display light down to 20% of normal. When you tap this the screen goes quite dark, you can change the percentage by using the settings in the notification area. This app used in conjunction with the clock app will hopefully make for an ideal bedside clock. If you completely screw this up, reboot and uninstall it using "uninstaller" and re-download it from the Market and try again. To get new notification sounds use the Zedge app and search for "alarms" and download a few, now when you change the sound for an alarm you can select "zedge ringtones" and it will let you choose from your downloaded ones.

The wallpaper folder contains a few useful apps. Gallery will show you the wallpapers pre-installed and wallpaper wizardrii will set these properly for you. I would choose "crop no scroll" to get the best results. Have a play with this app it's very useful. Lastly Zedge will have loads of wallpapers but they are mostly the wrong size, I included this app for alarm sounds.

The Dell Stage Launcher has a few useful widgets hence me using it. The contacts widget display your favourite contacts, the gallery widget displays recently added pictures, the web widget displays bookmarks and the music widget is just great. To use a different launcher run the app "homesmack" to change the default launcher. VTL is a great launcher as well. Both are set up to use a horizontal app drawer.

So that's it really, if I was you I would try out each of the apps and see what they do. If you really do not like any of them just uninstall the with "uninstaller"

Initial release with Google apps and working Market - 28th July
I have created a version of Mijuu's 1.2.4 Rom that has the Google apps and the market pre-installed.
This is a whole usb image based on a 4gb drive. You will need a blank 4gb or bigger usb drive and a program to write disk images to a usb drive. I suggest the program mentioned here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Win32DiskImager
You can get my image here https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6840131_8644417_18553. Once it has downloaded unzip the folder and then use the previous program to write it to your blank usb drive.
A few things to note about this version are as follows.
Android Market pre-installed, it will work straight out of the box with having to clear anything. You need to accept a few permissions at first which pop up in the notification area. Also the first few downloads may freeze, just cancel the download, reboot and try again. After a few attempts it should sort itself out.
AudioManager, Beebplayer, Button Savior, Dropbox, Spare Parts and QuikMarketLinks are pre-installed as well. Once you have connected to the internet and got the market to download please run Quikmarketlinks use it to re-establish links to the Android Market so that your device downloads future updates. You just need to click through the list of apps let it find them in the market and voila that's it. DO NOT DO THIS for Beebplayer as the new version does not let you lsiten to the BBC radio stations. Some of the system apps like Street View, Calendar, News and weather will not find a link but don't worry.
Ethernet is disabled by default, if you plan to use it you need to turn it back on in the settings menu.

I will be creating a tweaked version of this with different Launchers, Wallpapers, Alarm tones plus many other tweaks. Check back in a few days time for this.

Initial release:-
I noticed this afternoon that Mijuu had posted another build of his Joggler Rom on the http://www.mporting.com/ website.

The release notes for the rom are as follows.

New:
Embed Mplayer player in the player interface Zhong increase the eject button (base code is based on android-s5 Xiangmu unfinished Mplayer, bug fixes and added features online video playback, but audio and stability Huan There are some small problems)
after compression to increase the memory swap function, the values ​​in the grub.cfg adjust, for example, to set the compression mode, 400M memory, which was revised to 409,600, the theoretical case, the memory can be compressed more than 1 to 3 times

Fixed:
correction CIFS, Windows file sharing to access
the audio driver alsa configuration bug fix
changes after correction the high rate of CPU utilization
fix some of the need to install the software on the SD card installation failure
fix the problem of suspended animation top button

Adjustments:
Brightness default minimum
off by default wired LAN

The download link is http://www.mporting.com/wp-content/plug ... player.zip
Or you can download it from a mirror I have put up https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D6840131_8644417_04578
This is going to need to be copied to a pre partitioned usb stick again. Instructions are going to be similar to the ones here http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Mijuu_R ... roid_2.2.2
As to whether Lindl's image can be copied into this rom without problems I don't know, I will be checking this out in the next day or two.
I am also going to create a full usb image with lots of tweaks and apps on top of this, details to follow regarding this.
Last edited by jp_hero on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
mikeywilliams

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4

Post by mikeywilliams »

Sounds great.
Looking forward to it.
Power to your elbow (or whatever).
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

How are people getting on with this build? Has anyone got the CIFS working, seems to be in Chinese, so I'm struggling!

I'm also having a strange issue with the keyboard, after a 'while' or maybe it's only certain apps not sure.
When touching a key, the letter you touch briefly flashes up as usual, only right at the bottom of the screen.
It sounds trivial but it amazing how it makes me mistype!
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

DaveJoggler wrote:How are people getting on with this build?
Great so far. Once I "edited" it! Ie uninstalled the Chinese parts, got the market working and added some other tweaks (more details coming soon)!
DaveJoggler wrote: Has anyone got the CIFS working, seems to be in Chinese, so I'm struggling!
There is an English version in the market! I assume you have got the market working, you can uninstall the other one using "uninstaller" or something similar from the market. If not use root explorer and delete the cismanger.apk from either the system/app folder or the data/app folder.
DaveJoggler wrote: I'm also having a strange issue with the keyboard, after a 'while' or maybe it's only certain apps not sure.
When touching a key, the letter you touch briefly flashes up as usual, only right at the bottom of the screen.
It sounds trivial but it amazing how it makes me mistype!
Not seen this error yet. I guess I should type something out and give it a go. Have you tried any other keyboard apps? I can't any others to install.
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

Thanks James for the 'uninstall' tip. I thought the CIFS app Mijuu had added was a 'special' of some kind, didn't realise it was on the Market!

I don't know what triggers my keyboard problem. The only other keyboard I tried to install was Swype, which I love on my phone, but no joy. :cry:
I guess it must one those apps with 'native' code for ARM not x86.

Do you think you will have any of your 'builds' available for the weekend? ;) Many thanks for your efforts so far, and of course Mijuu, this has given the joggler a whole new life.
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

DaveJoggler wrote: I guess it must one those apps with 'native' code for ARM not x86.
I hate the whole x86 thing!
DaveJoggler wrote: Do you think you will have any of your 'builds' available for the weekend? ;) Many thanks for your efforts so far, and of course Mijuu, this has given the joggler a whole new life.
I will have a basic version of this Rom with Google Apps and a fixed Android Market available by the weekend. The tweaked version will be a few days after that.
Shakey_86

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps

Post by Shakey_86 »

Totally god-damn awesome.

Hopefully I can make it work :(
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

Just loaded up the new image.
Opened fine and connected to the wifi and clock synchronised.
Particularly interested in two things that didnt work before - button savious and beebplayer.
Good news is that button saviour now works so it must be rooted.
But no luck with beebplayer (havent connected to market or done any upgrading).
Just as before it says "buffering" but never plays.
Tried it on 3 different jogglers.
I prefer not to mess with ethernet even to try it. Wifi is working fine for everything else.
Wierd!

No complaints BTW and thanks for going to so much trouble.
Look forward to the tweaked version with fingers crossed....
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

Further testing.
Another problem with the earlier image was the audio out bug - that you couldnt plug an external amp in and get sound out unles you booted up with it connected.
I had hoped that "the audio driver alsa configuration bug fix " had cured this bug but it hasnt unfortunately. No sound from the audio out.

I also tried 2player which worked perfectly before to access my NAS drive.
On this image it connects fine but when I try to play a file it first buffers then says "the media server died trying to play the current track".
I went back to the previous image and it again worked fine.

Doh....
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

mikeywilliams wrote:Further testing.
Another problem with the earlier image was the audio out bug - that you couldnt plug an external amp in and get sound out unles you booted up with it connected.
I had hoped that "the audio driver alsa configuration bug fix " had cured this bug but it hasnt unfortunately. No sound from the audio out.

On this image it connects fine but when I try to play a file it first buffers then says "the media server died trying to play the current track".

Doh....
I was wondering when you would post saying things did not work. I really don't know what to suggest.
First of all though testing ethernet will not mess up you wifi, just enable it in the settings disconnect from wifi and then plug the cable in.
It would be interesting to see if Beebplayer works for you on ethernet. I would also suggest getting advanced task killer and killing all non essential apps before you run it as well.
I tested it and it works for me, if you pause and then restart it just says buffering. Also if you leave the program and go back into it you get the same buffering message. Sometimes pressing play a few times will trigger it into playing. There is no working alternative at the moment.
As for the sound I notice static/chatter/feedback if I boot with speakers plugged in and turned on. It is weird that this only effects Android and none of the other distributions.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

If booting with speakers plugged in, does it behave the same as v1.2.3 - ie does that version also have static/chatter/feedback?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I had problems installing a few apps that worked fine with the previous release of Android, e.g. DB Navigator, Vouchercloud, Rail Planner. I also have intermittent static through the speakers.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

And the static wasn't there on the previous version?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

no, it was fine
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Hmmmm ... does the mplayer inclusion help with video playback on this version?
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

jp_hero wrote:
mikeywilliams wrote:Further testing.

Doh....
I was wondering when you would post saying things did not work. I really don't know what to suggest.
First of all though testing ethernet will not mess up you wifi, just enable it in the settings disconnect from wifi and then plug the cable in.
It would be interesting to see if Beebplayer works for you on ethernet. I would also suggest getting advanced task killer and killing all non essential apps before you run it as well.
I tested it and it works for me, if you pause and then restart it just says buffering. Also if you leave the program and go back into it you get the same buffering message. Sometimes pressing play a few times will trigger it into playing. There is no working alternative at the moment.
As for the sound I notice static/chatter/feedback if I boot with speakers plugged in and turned on. It is weird that this only effects Android and none of the other distributions.
Tested beebplayer on Ethernet - no difference - stuck on buffering.
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

mikeywilliams wrote:Just loaded up the new image.
Particularly interested in two things that didnt work before - button savious and beebplayer.
I prefer not to mess with ethernet even to try it. Wifi is working fine for everything else.
Wierd!

Hmmm...... Button savior has always worked for me. And I'm afraid so has Beebplayer, which is still working in this image. Even playing live tv, all be it at a rubbish resolution
Maybe there is some network issue which is blocking beebplayers access to the streams? Any chance you could try it on another Wifi point, at a friends house say?

I've been trying this image for a little while now, and so far it's very good. The market being preinstalled and just needing my account setup is absolutely brilliant! Just what I wanted :D
mikeywilliams

Post by mikeywilliams »

DaveJoggler wrote:
mikeywilliams wrote:Just loaded up the new image.
Wierd!

Hmmm...... Button savior has always worked for me. And I'm afraid so has Beebplayer, which is still working in this image. Even playing live tv, all be it at a rubbish resolution
Maybe there is some network issue which is blocking beebplayers access to the streams? Any chance you could try it on another Wifi point, at a friends house say?

I've been trying this image for a little while now, and so far it's very good. The market being preinstalled and just needing my account setup is absolutely brilliant! Just what I wanted :D
I will try it somewhere else and see if it is a network/router problem.

Concerning button savior - were you using it before on Alindls image? I was and wonder if that image was not correctly rooted so that button savior only responded to the home button and none of the others.

Off to experiment.
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

Im not at all suprised beb player wont work over wifi, dont you guys know the joggler's wifi chip is crap?

Ethernet is the way forward for this device, no need for wifi anyway as it's not portable, im suprised at so many people still using wifi.
DaveJoggler

Post by DaveJoggler »

mikeywilliams wrote: I will try it somewhere else and see if it is a network/router problem.

Concerning button savior - were you using it before on Alindls image? I was and wonder if that image was not correctly rooted so that button savior only responded to the home button and none of the others.

Off to experiment.
It's worth a try, seems odd it's never worked and you have three jogglers.
Yes, I've been using button saviour for a while. Although thinking about it, it mostly the 'back' button I guess. I don't remember finding other buttons not working.
miccheck1516 wrote:Im not at all suprised beb player wont work over wifi, dont you guys know the joggler's wifi chip is crap?

Ethernet is the way forward for this device, no need for wifi anyway as it's not portable, im suprised at so many people still using wifi.
Both my jogglers have never had a problem with Wifi, so no I didn't know the chip is 'crap' :?