New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
popoyaya

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Twea

Post by popoyaya »

BuZz wrote:if someone writes the image and it fails near the end it should still work, since the end part won't be used.
problem is disk imager won't even start the writing process if the image is bigger than the usb stick.

i'm gonna try truncating the image with a program called filemonkey, will report back...
popoyaya

Post by popoyaya »

success! used filemonkey to trim the image down to 3.7gb and it writes and boots fine! there may be a more elegant program to do it with though.
russ333

Post by russ333 »

Can you do a little tutorial how you trimmed the img file with file monkey as i am failing.
popoyaya

Post by popoyaya »

I told it to split the image file in 2 pieces with a size of 3700mb. It does it fine but comes up with an error message at the end.
popoyaya

Post by popoyaya »

After a day or two with 1.2.3 I'm actually back on v. 1.2.4 as it's just a lot smoother & faster. Looking forward to the application installation issues being resolved and further releases.
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Is it true to say though that 1.2.4 can't be used with external audio, without crackling etc?
jaivuk

Post by jaivuk »

Hi guys, I also agree that 1.2.4 is faster and runs smoother than 1.2.3. However I have a problem to install sipdroid and connectbot on it.
I actually could not install ANY voip application.
Mijuu if you are reading it - is the reason because something was not compiled in (because Joggler does not have SIM)?

Is there any log in Android so I can see why installation failed?
mildenhall

Post by mildenhall »

I'm still waiting for flash to work on it so my kids can continue to watch streamed TV on it. Perhaps flash will never work??? Until then, I'm using Ubuntu Netbook Edition (9.04).

Anyway, I tried 1.2.4 and found Spotify wouldn't install. A shame as Virgin Media in the UK are handing out free 1 year premium accounts.
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

dwl99 wrote:You could try flashing the bootsector.img mentioned in an earlier post then flash the Android image. This has worked for me in similar circumstances although I have no idea why. I assume you're using the most recent version of win32diskimager?
I am not sure what version of the BootSector.img im using, I will take a look into that. I am well versed in dd, img files, disk/disc allocation and partitions. I am in fact using an 8GB USB Thumbdrive and expanding the "SD" partition with gpartd once the Win32DiskImager is done (sometimes I dont bother if I know im going to re-wipe everything). Yes I am using the latest build of Win32DiskImager. Once and then I will cat /dev/zero > /dev/sdX to entirely zero out a drive. One and a while I have had issues with NAND Flash technologies not writing properly do to poor formatting, especially Compact Flash and boot sectors. Wiping the drive with zeros brought them back to life and bootable.

Update on the USB Netbook Webcam, Android didnt detect it. Didnt help that the Camera function was removed from the Froyo 1.2.4 Build I have been using. Hey for $5 it was worth a shot, unfortunately I think the CCD is all botched, I get a horrible image. I can toss it in my netbook (or make a USB Pen) to scan QR codes I use to toss URLs and such across my devices. I should have given it a try on my Android Tablet (Dropad A8X with USB Host) but meh. This was just a brainstorm concept to see if this was a win/fail scenario. Either result didnt make much of a difference to me. Now I have another component to experiment with.
Bastard Sons of Dial-Up, Open-IPTV for hackers and technophiles, by hackers and technophiles. Gathering of knowledge is the first step to wisdom, sharing wisdom is the first step to community. http://www.BSoDtv.org Hacking is not a crime, it's a passion.
sero13

Post by sero13 »

Just tried this new build out and it runs very smoothly! I've been having difficulties with WiFi on the previous build and this one connects instantly!

The only down side (and its a big one) for me is that none of the upnp network players will install. Streaming from my NAS is the primary reason for my Joggler so I'm gutted. Has anyone gotten any of them to work with this? It funny as they all installed and worked perfectly on the last build.

Keep up the good work, really looking forward to 1.2.5!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

which upnp players have you tried?
IanL

Post by IanL »

If anyone (like me) has had problems getting any of these android images to boot then it could well be down to the USB device you are using. I tried four before I got one that worked and just assumed it was something stupid I was doing that was causing the problem but all the time it was down to USB devices that were the joggler was not happy booting from (mine kept stopping at the O2 logo). Anyway if it helps, I have now found that the "Hewlett Packard (HP) V165 8GB USB Flash Drive" from play.com works and is only £6.99 at the time of writing. Its small but not as small as another that I sourced but at least this one works! If you google for "joggler compatible USB drives" you will see plenty of discussion on the problems.
sero13

Post by sero13 »

dwl99 wrote:which upnp players have you tried?
I initially tried upnp play and 2player as they worked on 1.2.3 but when I came up empty handed I worked my way down the market list after searching for upnp and not a single one of the free apps worked. Have you had some joy with any?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

not with 1.2.4 - I've given up on it as so many apps don't work.
stalks

Post by stalks »

I just wanted to say a big thanks to jp_hero & Mijuu for all their hard work on bringing Android to the Joggler. After nearly a year of owning an electronic paper weight/ expensive clock, do I now have useful multifunction desktop media device.

I've gone for the minimalist LauncherPro Widget setup & I am extremely happy with the results. Just a couple of quick questions / requests.

1). I currently have a big old 4GB Sandisk USB key slotted in the side of the Joggler and have just purchased one of these 8GB Beauties from Play after reading that they are compatible with the Jogger. Is it possible to image my current key and transfer the fully configured image to the new key? If so is there a Windows compatible tool that can then extend the 4gb out to 8gb to utilise the addition space?

2). Is it feasible that full control of the back-light will be included in future builds? Using a filter still leaves the unit too bright for a use as a nightstand clock and alarm.

3). Can anyone recommend a good Internet radio app & widget that works with jp_hero 's current release? I have managed to successfully install a couple but they all seem to hang on buffering the stream.

Any advice would be gladly received.

Regards
Andy Mark

Market says: "Download was unsuccessful..." ? Help.

Post by Andy Mark »

You write that marked works out of the box......not for me.

I can see all the apps in Market, but when I try to install it says: "Download was unsuccessful, please try again."

What am I doing wrong ? How do I fix this issue :?:

I have tried to build the stick again......

(My Joggler is used from Denmark)
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

stalks wrote:I just wanted to say a big thanks to jp_hero & Mijuu for all their hard work on bringing Android to the Joggler. After nearly a year of owning an electronic paper weight/ expensive clock, do I now have useful multifunction desktop media device.
not wanting to tread on the thread,, but although linux isn't as touch friendly, I find jolicloud has worked very well for 6+ months for multimedia. xbmc etc, giving live tv from most uk channels, plus now even 720p h264 etc. of course, it doesnt have the "widget" stuff of android, but the on screen keyboard is quite usable. im only adding this, as its been a lot more useful than a paperweight/clock for me without android (and I of course support the excellent efforts with android too).
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Thanks for all the hard work folks.

Just thought I'd post a couple of observations.

1. +1 on the No Sound issue - No sound at all bar a slight click on any audio/video.
2. If you set a numerical password for the Lock screen (I share an office) you'll never be able to unlock it as the onscreen keyboard does not appear and, therefore, you can't enter a password.

Many thanks.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

stalks wrote:I just wanted to say a big thanks to jp_hero & Mijuu for all their hard work on bringing Android to the Joggler. After nearly a year of owning an electronic paper weight/ expensive clock, do I now have useful multifunction desktop media device.

I've gone for the minimalist LauncherPro Widget setup & I am extremely happy with the results. Just a couple of quick questions / requests.

1). I currently have a big old 4GB Sandisk USB key slotted in the side of the Joggler and have just purchased one of these 8GB Beauties from Play after reading that they are compatible with the Jogger. Is it possible to image my current key and transfer the fully configured image to the new key? If so is there a Windows compatible tool that can then extend the 4gb out to 8gb to utilise the addition space?

2). Is it feasible that full control of the back-light will be included in future builds? Using a filter still leaves the unit too bright for a use as a nightstand clock and alarm.

3). Can anyone recommend a good Internet radio app & widget that works with jp_hero 's current release? I have managed to successfully install a couple but they all seem to hang on buffering the stream.
Regards
1. Use win32diskimager to read the image from your existing USB stick then use it to flash it to your new one. Simples! There are no Windows tools to resize the partitions but google "gparted live" to find out how to boot your PC from a CD & use gparted to resize the partitions.
3. I couldn't find ANY internet radio apps that run on 1.2.4. I got an old version of Resco Radio Pro running very well on 1.2.3, PM me if you want the apk. But it doesn't work on 1.2.4.
stalks

Post by stalks »

Thanks for info dwl99. I'm thinking of giving 1.2.3 a go as for some reason Button Savior has stopped working on my 1.2.4 build. I purchased the upgraded version and it worked great for a few days but only the home button seems to work now. PM on its way.

Regards

StalkS