New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jaivuk

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Twea

Post by jaivuk »

dwl99 - it would be great as lot of manual tweaks and settings are needed for 1.2.3, watching this space... ;)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

OK, I've attacked my 1.2.3 version of Android USB stick with Gparted in Ubuntu & formatted the /Data partition as there didn't seem to be a way to do it in Android. The Factory Reset function under Settings did precisely nothing. It looks as if it's a nice, clean installation although I haven't had time to test it. I've also shrunk it to 3.5GB so it will fit on all those undersized 4GB cards out there. Will get it zipped & uploaded sometime early tomorrow morning. Remember to let the system clock sync first or the Market will not work. You MAY need to do the "market fix" as previously described. I also recommend the "nolock" app to stop the lockscreen coming on.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Jonathan Bowley

Post by Jonathan Bowley »

currently on part 6... ahhhh, just 6 more parts and i can test! i really appreciate your taking the time to upload. here's hoping i can get youtube running. cheers again!
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

if someone uploads it to my joggler ftp incoming folder, ill make it available for download on this server.

ftp://malus.exotica.org.uk/incoming/joggler/
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Currently uploading to your /incoming/joggler folder
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

I can re-host this on the Bastard Sons of Dial-Up server for you. I must say, this is the better of choices for a Joggler OS!! I am currently uploading it now, I packed in a Readme.txt that way people that tend to download files and forget what they were for will still know what they have in their download directory. I hope you dont mind. I just copy & Pasted the 1st post from jp_hero, and added a basic "What this is, and how to use it".

If you need a host for further releases, please PM me and I can wget the file to the BSoD filedump. Just tell me the URL to the file you would like to mirror.

You can find the BSoD hosted files at http://www.filedump.bsodtv.org/misc/Joggler/

BuZz, I am also uploading to your FTP as well. I accidentally uploaded a small piece of the .img file, I stopped it, can you please delete it? I am sorry for the mistake and inconvenience.

Shameless Plug!! BSoD is an Open Source IPTV tech show, for hackers and technophiles, by hackers and technophiles. The whole idea of the show is to create tutorial segments based on the questions and interests of the community. All of us have one thing in common, we love to learn. Since no one person can know everything, people can chat about their projects which tend to spark an interest in other people. Questions are asked, and soon a segment is born based off of the yearning for knowledge, and a persons personal and intimate understanding of something. Much like people here toss questions and projects about the Joggler back and fourth, all that needs to be done is put things into a How-To or Tutorial form covering the questions asked in order to get your joggler running linux, or android, and perhaps showcase (not showoff, its not a dick waving contest) of what some of the possibilities are. I personally have done a lot of stuff for BSoD I would have never thought anyone would have cared about, and a lot of people asked "Hey thats a great idea! ... can it do this...?!" and I havent thought of taking it in the direction they saw. Though due to lack of help we had to halt production, im the only one still making segments and I dont want it to be The Foxx Show.
Bastard Sons of Dial-Up, Open-IPTV for hackers and technophiles, by hackers and technophiles. Gathering of knowledge is the first step to wisdom, sharing wisdom is the first step to community. http://www.BSoDtv.org Hacking is not a crime, it's a passion.
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

I am having a few quirks with this android build, maybe I am missing something that was posted elsewhere that I havent picked up on.

1) I cant get ethernet work work - at all. I am pretty handy when it comes to home networking so I know its not a Router, DHCP, or Cat5 issue

2) Market access is very limited, I mean VERY limited! Is this because of a lack of x86 compiled apps for android? I had the same issue when I was playing with an x86 tablet that was running WinCE, tons of ARM compiled programs, but just a handful of x86. Or do I need to tweak the Google market xml strings?

3) Is there any way to make the 3rd "SD" partition visible in windows without Android freaking out about a corrupt filesystem? I usually toss my multimedia and .APK files onto the "SD" Card and sideload from there, but with how Windows XP handles USB drives it can not see a second 'Primary' partition on the drive. I tried to add a USB Hub and another FAT32 thumbdrive thinking that Android would detect it as a UDISK but it did not. I assume if I attach a gutted thumbdrive to an onboard USB port to host the OS, and I use the external USB port to hold a thumbdrive for additional APKs, movies, music, etc, I would encounter the same issue. After all I am hooking into the onboard USB Hub, rather an external one, I dont see how that solves this issue.

Is there way to plug the Joggler into a Computer and mount the filesystem as a USB Drive, like you would with an Android Tablet or Phone? That would certainly solve my last conundrum. Make the Joggle a USB Client mass storage device to mount the onboard USB Storage as a local drive. Possible?
Bastard Sons of Dial-Up, Open-IPTV for hackers and technophiles, by hackers and technophiles. Gathering of knowledge is the first step to wisdom, sharing wisdom is the first step to community. http://www.BSoDtv.org Hacking is not a crime, it's a passion.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I suggest you try the previous build which is much more stable, you can download the image here - http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/android/
AFAIK there is no way of getting Windows to see the 3rd partition as it comes after an EXT2 one. To copy things over you'll need to put the USB stick in a Linux machine (my PC dual boots to Windows and Ubuntu) and copy the files over. Alternatively, you can use Dropbox as a stopgap measure. You won't be able to mount the SD partition as you can with a phone.

Many apps will not run with the X86 processor, I've found that around a third are incompatible.
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

I have a few linux machines, I also do VMWare. I have a nifty HTTP File server for Windows called HFS. I can load my files on that local machine and pull them from there using the LAN. Its a bit of a pain in in the ass, but it works. Its really great when you have the firefox plugin barcoder, which makes a scanable QR code image out of text and URLs. I can right click a .apk file hosted on my HFS, turn it into a QR code and scan it with my android device (though not the joggler as it has no camera... YET) and pull the APK from LAN and install it. You obviously need to have wifi enabled and connected to your AP though. Simple to set up and very easy to get working.

I do have the previous build, t'was very nice but I had issues with the market and Ethernet as well. I will give it another crack though.

I am still willing to offer file hosting for OS builds to those whom need, just toss me a PM.

Thanks for the advice.

Can we get cameras working on the joggler?! With how small netbook webcams are these days, and there are only two main OEMs for them ( i need to check my netbook to tell you what they are) we could possibly tap into the spare USB on the joggler and embed a USB camera, as long as there are proper kernel drivers.

http://www.laptop-guts.co.uk/images/ACED250_WEBCAM.jpg This is about 5cm long and 6mm wide, easily attached internally or externally, and its standard USB! Linux support is a no-brainer.
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

Foxx wrote: Can we get cameras working on the joggler?! With how small netbook webcams are these days, and there are only two main OEMs for them ( i need to check my netbook to tell you what they are) we could possibly tap into the spare USB on the joggler and embed a USB camera, as long as there are proper kernel drivers.
ive used a usb webcam (microsoft lifecam cinema) with skype on the joggler. cpu usage was pretty high but it worked.
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

I have to blame Skype for that, its very resource intensive. I decided to get a 1.3 MegaPixel 'Netbook Webcam' PCB, ill wire it up to the joggler and hope for the best. My only concern is that I am running android at the moment and I dont know if it will support the USB Camera or not. Only one way to find out though, right?!
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

dwl99 wrote:I suggest you try the previous build which is much more stable, you can download the image here - http://joggler.exotica.org.uk/img/android/
AFAIK there is no way of getting Windows to see the 3rd partition as it comes after an EXT2 one. To copy things over you'll need to put the USB stick in a Linux machine (my PC dual boots to Windows and Ubuntu) and copy the files over. Alternatively, you can use Dropbox as a stopgap measure. You won't be able to mount the SD partition as you can with a phone.

Many apps will not run with the X86 processor, I've found that around a third are incompatible.
I tried both of the images linked and they just wont write with Win32 Disk Imager. No clue why, this is the first time I encountered this issue.

I was under the impression the reasoning behind Dalvik was to get rid of CPU dependency code, but putting thought into that idea there is no real way of making "Universal" code for EVERY processor. At least you can have interoperability between the same CPU Family and chain, after all how many different ARM class CPUs exist today. Imagine having to recompile a program designed at the time for an ARM5 CPU, then having a newer ARM7 or xScale come to market. Dalvik can at least keep the applications running despite changes in architecture. Will the Android Market running on the Joggler block apps that wont run on thay CPU? I have a an Android Tablet I had to hack to get a full Android market by meddling with some of the XML files, soerta' like adding more repos to a Debian's Apt.
BuZz wrote: ive used a usb webcam (microsoft lifecam cinema) with skype on the joggler. cpu usage was pretty high but it worked.
Under Linux, Native OS, or Android? I found a USB 'Netbook Webcam' for $5. The main reason I want this is to scan QR Code codes, I use a Fireflox Plugin called barcoder to turn Text, URLs, and Links into a scannable QR code I can open with my Android devices (Tablet, Phone, etc). Then I use a simple HTTP File Server called HFShttp://www.rejetto.com/hfs/ to host needed files across my network when I am hacking about. Very handy setup! This way I can host .img files, ROMS, scripts, .apk, anything I need, right from a local machine on my network, then pull the files I need using QR Codes, or wget. Right now I find myself constantly having to shut down the Joggler to add APK files to the ANDROID partition so I can get them installed, and as dwl99 mentioned, not all of them will work, so its hit or miss for me. I just want to make this a little more streamlined for testing. If I cant get it working in the joggler I can install it in my netbook, or one of my MANY other hacktastic devices ;}

Completely out of the blue, I will go more into this in a later date in a proper forum topic. I am debating on adding a HDD to the joggler. I have the skill, the tools, and the parts, but dont like the risk. Does the build of Androidx86 have support for the IDE hardware for the joggler? I am still debating if I am keeping Android so I dont want to do this HDD addon, its very a risky hardware mod to find out it isnt supported. For the curious, the only way I can think of getting a CF card inside the Joggler is to make a plastic 'spacer' around the unit that will increase the depth of the unit a bit. I will post more details at a later time. I have a spare busted joggler I can experiment on and post some concept results for anyone wanting to try it, even if I dont go the whole distance.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

You could try flashing the bootsector.img mentioned in an earlier post then flash the Android image. This has worked for me in similar circumstances although I have no idea why. I assume you're using the most recent version of win32diskimager?
popoyaya

Post by popoyaya »

I too am having no luck with any of the 1.2.3 images. They're all too big for my 4gb stick using win32diskimager v.0.3. When I try writing with v.0.1 it says "done" immediately but nothing gets written to the stick. Also tried the bootsector.img trick but it didn't help. Ubuntu installs and boots, as does the Android 1.2.4 image so the stick itself is fine. Any chance someone could upload a working 3.5gb image?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I don't know why the disk image is >3.5GB, it was 3.5GB when I resized the partitions. Perhaps BuZz would know the answer?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

no idea. i didnt change the one in the zip at all. if you resize the partitions to 3.5gb but then image the whole stick. you still get a 4gb image ;-)
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Hmmm. I shrunk the total partition size to 3.5GB and did indeed make the image from the whole stick. Is there a way to get the image down to 3.5GB?
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

stop imaging at the end of the last partition (you will need to calculate it). or create a new image on disk of the size you want. partition that and move the files across.

however if someone writes the image and it fails near the end it should still work, since the end part won't be used.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Thanks, will give that a go.