New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
dwl99

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Twea

Post by dwl99 »

Can other upnp devices see your Windows Media Player music share? I suspect that WMP isn't "seeing" your music as part of its library. Have you set up WMP to scan your music folder? If so you could try refreshing your library in WMP.
Jonathan Bowley

Post by Jonathan Bowley »

dwl99, thanks for taking the time to answer my questions...!

at the risk of sounding idiotic, i only recently got windows 7 and i can't think of anything else to do to share my files. i'm not sure it is set to 'scan' my music folder, i can't find anywhere to scan files. my music folder is set as the only folder in my music library. beyond that, i do not know... care to explain?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Open Windows Media Player
Click Stream - tick Automatically allow devices to play my media
Click Organize - Manage Libraries - Music, add your music folder & click OK
Click Organize - Apply media information changes & leave it to scan (might take a few hours)

In essence - WMP is acting as a media server & upnplay is looking for the server. Just creating a network shared folder isn't enough.
Jonathan Bowley

thanks for the tips, appreciated. i'd done all of that though... i understand wmp should be acting as a media server, but it wasn't serving. i was getting frustrated until i noticed that (for reasons i have been unable to fathom) the music folder had restricted permissions, symbolised by a little golden lock on the folder. i edited the permissions and hey presto, wmp can now serve the files.

obviously, now that i have done this, a new problem presents, in that files sometimes skip part way through for no apparent reason, and the screen sometimes responds (in a variety of apps) as though someone is pressing it (when they aren't). how strange.

i must say, i found using app brain and the fast web installer has saved me time and effort on the joggler. frustrated that i can't get working youtube app or facebook app atm. an older version of youtube installs, but force closes.

i also prefer apps uninstaller to the one that is pre-loaded as bulk uninstall is possible.

google plus and twitter apps work too, i'd add them to recommended apps in the wiki - social media obsession!
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Glad it's working now. Youtube & many other apps run fine in the 1.2.3 build - I don't understand why everyone wants to use the later, buggier build.
Jonathan Bowley

wait, newer build = buggier?! oh, i didn't think this one through...

how is the older build less buggy? in what way? just that it runs more apps? which of the earlier two versions? the initial one, or the initial with maps and working market?
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

The 1.2.3 with apps & working market is better IMHO - I found that 1.2.4 had more FCs and more apps wouldn't install.
Shakey_86

Post by Shakey_86 »

I had a lot of market files not install on the First of the two builds but then a hard reset would allow me to install when the Joggler re-booted.
I'm going to try the newer build as soon as I can get it downloaded.

Review to come shortly
IanL

Post by IanL »

dwl99 wrote:I would try the bootsector.img first - it takes about 2 seconds to write to the drive & if it works you'll save a lot of time.
I tried this last night with 1.2.4 on the USB stick afterwards and it still wont boot - just sticks on the O2 logo like all my other attempts! I will try Ubuntu next as suggested and see if I can at least get it to boot into something else.

I am wondering now if it is just that it maybe doesnt like my USB drive. I have tried three now though. Mind you, my 4GB USB drive got an error as it is too small to hold the image.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Jonathan Bowley

given i have never developed for anything, i don't know how ridiculous my request is, but would it be at all possible to merge cyanogenmod with the latest joggler distro? how easy would this be? how long would it take me to learn?

also, official twitter app fc's on tweet send. annoying.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

I believe that Cyanogenmod distros are very different from regular builds. Having followed the progress of the devs in coming up with stable CM builds for my Xperia phone & Kogan Agora tablet I would conclude that it would be a long & intensive process with no guarantee of success. Also the Joggler's CPU isn't officially supported by Android.
Jonathan Bowley

thanks for the response, it was worth the asking i suppose! i've followed cyanogenmod since cyanogenmod 3.6 for my trusty g1 and based my purchase of the zte blade on whether or not it was supported by the cyanogenmod community. even looking at the huawei u8800 next. keep it budget, that's why i have a joggler!

does anyone know if any of the other joggler communities are working on a honeycomb port for the joggler? i know that the source hasn't been (and will likely not be) released, but people have ways of doing these things. i suppose silence here means it's not common knowledge, even if it is being worked on.
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

Jonathan Bowley wrote:thanks for the response, it was worth the asking i suppose! i've followed cyanogenmod since cyanogenmod 3.6 for my trusty g1 and based my purchase of the zte blade on whether or not it was supported by the cyanogenmod community. even looking at the huawei u8800 next. keep it budget, that's why i have a joggler!

does anyone know if any of the other joggler communities are working on a honeycomb port for the joggler? i know that the source hasn't been (and will likely not be) released, but people have ways of doing these things. i suppose silence here means it's not common knowledge, even if it is being worked on.
There is no source code for the Joggler. The current Joggler builds are modified versions of the x86 project http://www.android-x86.org/ who port Android to work on various x86 based devices. The Joggler build will be made up from builds over there.
The furthest they have got is with Gingerbread ie Android 2.3. This build is based on Mijuu's rom's and he has not released a 2.3 rom yet.
Honeycomb will never happen for this device, there just isn't enough code available that is x86 compatable. Ie there are no x86 devices natively running Honeycomb that we can "borrow" a rom from.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
jaivuk

Post by jaivuk »

Hello jp_hero,
First of all thank you very much for that build, you did a lot of work and I really like how it looks.

Unfortunately I have a problem to get market working. I have the connectivity (via the cable) and I can browse the web, I can even browse
app in the market, but when I try to download and install them, I always get an error - "download failed", so I'm unable to install any new APP via the market.

I tried to search the web for solution, I found lot of advices but nothing worked so far. Also please note that I registered my new google account with your version of Android for Joggler - can be this the problem?

I also tried to log in into https://market.android.com and I can see no device associated with this account - I suppose I should see some x86 device if not Joggler itself - but I have there no device.

Do you please have any hint for me how to make market work for the new account?

If anybody else knows the solution, post it here please.

JP - Thank you so much for your work again.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Market fix:

Settings - applications - manage applications
long tap on googleservicesframework.apk, force stop then clear data
long tap on market.apk, force stop (do not clear data)
open Market, you will get an error, tap OK
Reboot & market should now download & install OK

PS buid 1.2.3 of Android is better, more stable and allows more apps to install IMHO
russ333

Post by russ333 »

1.2.3 runs really slowly for me. I used the blank image file with image writer then copied the files to the root of the usb. Is that correct.
jaivuk

Post by jaivuk »

dwl99 - I tried that before but now it helped, so thank you very much!!!

As other users mentioned already, not all apps are working, I was suprised that connectbot is one of them :(

You mentioned 1.2.3 build - do you mean this one? http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=176

Thanx for your help.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

Yes, that's the one. You can download a tweaked image from that thread & flash it directly.
jaivuk

Post by jaivuk »

dwl99 - that thread has 18 pages and I cannot seem to find that tweaked version, can you post the page for me or the link?
Thanx again.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

My memory was failing me - it wasn't an entire disk image at all but if you start here you shouldn't have any problems http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewto ... t=20#p1649

EDIT - I might see if I can do a factory reset on my Android installation & make an image of it. Watch this space.