New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Tweaks

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
BuZz
Site Admin

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps

Post by BuZz »

I find the wireless with the vendor drivers on ubuntu/jolisos etc very stable. especially since I put another access point in my house, as my old router was pretty weak for wifi anyway. if anything the problems point to driver/software. the kernel rt2800usb driver in previous kernels i tried, had some problems for people, so I switched to to staging rt2870sta driver which fixed some things but had other problems. I then switched to the vendor one, and its been rock solid for me, and I've had positive feedback from other people too. the staging driver has since been removed with very new kernels and reading the kernel history some work has been put into the rt2800usb driver, so I may well give that one a try again at some point, knowing we have the vendor one to fall back on.
Shakey_86

Post by Shakey_86 »

Hopefully not going Off-Topic but I intend to use this on my bedside table.

How can I get the screen to turn off, but resume when touching the screen.
I dont want a clock displayed all night and the lowest brightness is still quite a lot.

Anyone else using it like this?

EDIT: Also, how can I backup the settings I have in case there is a powercut etc. Will the unit reboot to the same homescreen etc?
Will I go back to Sq.1?
Jander

Post by Jander »

Shakey,

I'm using it by my bedside too and would love the screen to go off completely. My current option is to use the 'clock' program. If you tap the 'sun' icon top right it'll go black, but the back light still glows. I then just drape the cleaning cloth that came with the joggler over the screen. Not perfect but it works for the moment.

Jerry.
niallmoran

Post by niallmoran »

i think the clock app changes to a screen saver after a bit which cuts the screen and only has a very feint clock moving about the screen.....at least it does on my dell streak!
Jander

Post by Jander »

It does go to the faint clock, but it still leaves the back light on. It would appear that the h/w control for the back light doesn't work/behave under Android so far.
niallmoran

Post by niallmoran »

ah right, that is a bummer....hopefully a future version will give backlight control :)
Jander

Post by Jander »

That's certainly what I'm waiting for. If that gets sorted it'll be perfect. The light can certainly be turned off under Linux using the "xset dpms" stuff, so there's hope.
mohansen

Post by mohansen »

I have loaded this build onto something similar to the Joggler. It is a OpenPeak OpenFrame 7E. The image seems to work pretty well so far. I have been working on the Market to get apps to load. I have always been able to bring up the Market but never was successful in getting anything to load. It would download and then go to Install and then error out with Installation unsucccessful. Not sure why.

I saw where the clock has to be sync'd so I got that working and have been able to load Pandora and that is the only app so far. I have tried other apps but nothing else loads. Same error.

Is there a log somewhere that provides more information why an App does not install. I am connected via wired ethernet.

Thanks for a great build so far.
miccheck1516

Post by miccheck1516 »

Is the 3.5 mm audio jack not working a known issue? Mine doesn't seem to be working at all, even when plugged in sound still plays through the internal speaker...

Also having issues with screen brightness when not in use, I use the clock and dim the screen it will sporadically change brightness, a real pain at night when I have it turned down for sleeping but don't want to cover it as described above as I need to see it from my bed....

Also why doesn't flash work? I thought that was default from 2.2 onwards?
jp_hero

Post by jp_hero »

miccheck1516 wrote:Is the 3.5 mm audio jack not working a known issue? Mine doesn't seem to be working at all, even when plugged in sound still plays through the internal speaker...
Yes this a known issue. The only fix at the moment is to boot with the speakers plugged in. It does not detect devices plugged in once up and running.
miccheck1516 wrote: Also having issues with screen brightness when not in use, I use the clock and dim the screen it will sporadically change brightness, a real pain at night when I have it turned down for sleeping but don't want to cover it as described above as I need to see it from my bed....
This seems to be one of peoples main problems. Normally when the screen turns off it would not respond to touch anymore, as the Joggler has no power button this presents problems. I'm guessing this is why the screen never truly turns off. I'm trying to find some apps that can dim it below the lowest setting. Watch this space!
miccheck1516 wrote: Also why doesn't flash work? I thought that was default from 2.2 onwards?
Adobe have not included x86 support in the mobile version of flash that Android uses. Someone did report that the paid version of skyfire could play web video but it was hit and miss.
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
BuZz
Site Admin

Post by BuZz »

jp_hero wrote:
miccheck1516 wrote:Is the 3.5 mm audio jack not working a known issue? Mine doesn't seem to be working at all, even when plugged in sound still plays through the internal speaker...
Yes this a known issue. The only fix at the moment is to boot with the speakers plugged in. It does not detect devices plugged in once up and running.
kernel will need a 2.6.32 alsa with the joggler patches for that to work i guess. This is how I do it for linux. Not managed to get a newer alsa working right, will probably need some of the joggler changes, but done differently.
nigelh

Post by nigelh »

Shakey_86 wrote:Hopefully not going Off-Topic but I intend to use this on my bedside table.

How can I get the screen to turn off, but resume when touching the screen.
I dont want a clock displayed all night and the lowest brightness is still quite a lot.

Anyone else using it like this?

EDIT: Also, how can I backup the settings I have in case there is a powercut etc. Will the unit reboot to the same homescreen etc?
Will I go back to Sq.1?
I have tried NightClock. It dims alot, but i havent tried in pitch black yet.
jp_hero

Re: New Android 2.2.2 Mijuu Build 1.2.4 + Google Apps + Twea

Post by jp_hero »

Hi guys. Check out the first post for a link to the latest update. This is for the major tweaked version. Have fun!
I'm from http://www.coolsmartphone.com For all your Android news and reviews.
Also if Twitter is your thing you can follow me http://twitter.com/#!/jp_hero
MisterM

Post by MisterM »

Exciting! Downloading now, have high hopes for this one. Haven't been able to get WiFi working on the previous 1.2.3 and 1.2.4, just got stuck in flight mode or "scanning" despite being 4 feet away from the router - fingers crossed and thanks for the hard work and effort.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

+1
MisterM

Post by MisterM »

Fantastic - my WiFi issue seems to have been due to it being WEP based, changed it to WPA/PSK today and now it works absolutely fine. Still displays the flight mode icon but it connects reliably now. Unable to download anything from marketplace as yet but this is much more likely my ignorance than a problem with the build. To the forums!
gegs

Post by gegs »

If WEP is a problem with wi-fi I'd probably have to skip trying the Android images. My kids connect with their Nintendo DS and it is WEP only. They'd kill me if I changed to WPA. My wife and kids are also reliant on iPlayer and Youtube so the absence of Flash is a big hurdle.
dwl99

Post by dwl99 »

At first I could download stuff from the market but it wouldn't install. I ran the "market fix" & tried again & it seems to be working now. The system fonts are a bit bizarre so I uninstalled the font changer app. Thanks for your hard work on this!
rivergo1d

Post by rivergo1d »

Not tried it yet but this looks like a really nice build, thanks for putting the effort in. The Joggler is becoming a really great gadget now!

Is there still a crackling noise from external speakers?
mm218

Post by mm218 »

Hi. Many thanks for your great work. However, the link doesn't work!