o2 app radio stations stopped working

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jkn

Re: o2 app radio stations stopped working

Post by jkn »

Hi Max
Max wrote: The URLs in the xml file on the joggler still work however.
Sorry, how do you you use these please? I haven't had time to play much...

Dunno if it's related, but I had a little earlier installed the iPlayer app on the Joggler that is currently failing. That worked fine with one radio stream, but I was unable to get out of iPlayer - the on/off button in the top RHS of the screen didn't do anything...

J
gegs

Post by gegs »

The xml file is in the o2_radio folder on your Joggler. You should be able access it using WinSCP - if you haven't installed it, I've posted instructions on how to install and use it on this forum. Search my posts.
jkn wrote:Dunno if it's related, but I had a little earlier installed the iPlayer app on the Joggler that is currently failing. That worked fine with one radio stream, but I was unable to get out of iPlayer - the on/off button in the top RHS of the screen didn't do anything...
I've found that waiting for all the categories to load in the new iPlayer app can save a lot of bother. The app tries to cache the categories lists in the background and if you try to access a channel before it has finished there is a danger that a stream will open before the off button has initialised; to exit the stream you would have to pull the plug or use the "restart Tango" or "reboot Joggler" tools on the Plug'n'Pimp web interface.

The first thing I do when starting the iPlayer app is to click on the categories button. When all the content has cached (i.e. the categories have changed from black text to either pink or white) it usually performs well after that.

Having said that, any problems I've had is with the off button not appearing. I've not had it appear but not do anything (touch wood).
Last edited by gegs on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Gegs
gegs wrote:The xml file is in the o2_radio folder on your Joggler. You should be able access it using WinSCP - if you haven't installed it, I've posted instructions on how to install and use it on this forum. Search my posts.

Yes, I know about that and it's installed. It also doesn't appear to have changed - I imagine there must be some circumstances in which a new (~broken?) file would be downloaded from themedialounge, but this doesn't seem to have occurred yet.

My question to Max was, if 'all stations have stopped working' for him, using the openpeak app, what was he doing with the links in jogcontent.xml to be able to say 'The URLs in the xml file on the joggler still work however'?

I did wait for most/all of the categories in the iPlayer app, but I'll try this more thoroughly shortly. Thanks for the pointers.

I'd like to get these things sorted as I have a couple of projects I want to get on with for my jogglers. One it to fit a proper heatsink, probably based on an XBox 360 heatsink, and the other is build a second GrubDAC for decent quality sound output. I also want to fit a second USB port, and maybe an SDcard reader, based on Justin Brlair's mods.

Cheers
J^n

I've found that waiting for all the categories to load in the new iPlayer app can save a lot of bother. The app tries to cache the categories lists in the background and if you try to access a channel before it has finished there is a danger that a stream will open before the off button has initialised; to exit the stream you would have to pull the plug or use the "restart Tango" or "reboot Joggler" tools on the Plug'n'Pimp web interface.

The first thing I do when starting the iPlayer app is to click on the categories button. When all the content has cached (i.e. the categories have changed from black text to either pink or white) it usually performs well after that.

Having said that, any problems I've had is with the off button not appearing. I've not had it appear but not do anything (touch wood).
gegs

Post by gegs »

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you were asking Max how to access the URLs in the xml file. That's the danger of hitting the "View new posts" link and responding without reading the whole of the thread. I should really access the forum at home when I have more time rather than playing quick catch-up over my lunch break.
Max

Post by Max »

Hi

I use VLC on my PC.

So if you look in the jogContent.xml file on the joggler for one of the lines with the stream reference URL eg:

<Stream Status="1" BitRate="128" StreamFormat="RTSP/ASF" AudioFormat="WMA" Reliability="9" AudioQualityRating="3" URL="http://media.thelounge.com/joggler/radio/15.asx"/

Would be the line for Radio 2.

Take the URL at the end:

http://media.thelounge.com/joggler/radio/15.asx

and paste it into "Media" then "Open Network Stream" inside VLC.

mjh
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Geggs
gegs wrote:Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you were asking Max how to access the URLs in the xml file. That's the danger of hitting the "View new posts" link and responding without reading the whole of the thread. I should really access the forum at home when I have more time rather than playing quick catch-up over my lunch break.
no problem - I too am snatching reading and replying when I can ...

J^n
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Max
Max wrote:Hi

I use VLC on my PC.

got you - thanks. I will try that myself tonight

J^n
Max

Post by Max »

Hi

I've got mine working again.

I renamed the jogcontent.xml file to jogcontent.xml.old. Started the radio app (it fails to work). Quit the radio app, rebooted the joggler. Went into the radio app again (again it fails to work). Then renamed jogcontent.xml.old back to jogcontent.xml.

Went back into radio app and it now works again....

Now some of those steps above could probably be cut, but it worked for me. I was actually trying to get it to re-download the xml file.

All very odd.

mjh
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Max

This didn't work for me, I'm afraid ;-(.

Just to be clear, there is a jogContent.xml file in /media/app-cfg/o2_radio, and a link to this in /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio, yes?

Code: Select all

# cd /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio
# ls -lrt
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         7410 Jun 26  2009 icon.swf
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         1715 Oct 26  2009 language.xml
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root       732060 Feb 20 12:26 main.swf
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           38 Jul 26 19:13 jogContent.xml -> /media/app-cfg/o2_radio/jogContent.xml
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           46 Jul 26 19:13 O2FavoritesData.cookie -> /media/app-cfg/o2_radio/O2FavoritesData.cookie
I originally tried deleting/renaming the link, and then when that didn't work, tried the main file. No joy with that either. And my iPlayer app still won't exit ;-(.

This is all on my PTJ unit, the other one with stock firmware seems to be working. I'm wondering about reverting ...

Cheers
Jon N
Max wrote:Hi

I've got mine working again.

I renamed the jogcontent.xml file to jogcontent.xml.old. Started the radio app (it fails to work). Quit the radio app, rebooted the joggler. Went into the radio app again (again it fails to work). Then renamed jogcontent.xml.old back to jogcontent.xml.

Went back into radio app and it now works again....

Now some of those steps above could probably be cut, but it worked for me. I was actually trying to get it to re-download the xml file.

All very odd.

mjh
Max

Post by Max »

Hi

Mine is /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio/

I have nothing but O2FavoritesData.cookie in my /media/app-cfg/o2_radio directory. That file is linked to the openpeak directory one.

Even odder. I have never touched that directory previously.

mjh
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi Max
I tried replicating what you seem to have, still no joy ;-(.

J^n
yugo

Post by yugo »

I have had no problems with mine, I don't use it much mind you but just testing now and all seem to be working.
I don't have an o2_radio directory in media/app-cfg
jkn

Post by jkn »

yugo wrote:I have had no problems with mine, I don't use it much mind you but just testing now and all seem to be working.
I don't have an o2_radio directory in media/app-cfg
It seems to be working now, grr... I seem to have ended up with what you have, except that I now have an empty /media/app-cfg/o2_radio:

# ls -l /openpeak/gui/apps/o2_radio
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          203 Jul 27 19:19 O2FavoritesData.cookie
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         7410 Jun 26  2009 icon.swf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        80195 Jul 26 21:45 jogContent.xml
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root         1715 Oct 26  2009 language.xml
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root       732060 Feb 20 12:26 main.swf

# ls -l /media/app-cfg/o2_radio
#
I didn't do anything since last night - bizarre...

J^n
jkn

Post by jkn »

and now ... it's stopped working again.

aargh!

Jon N
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Does the RadioFeeds-provided station list work for you?
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/joggler/feedaaaaaaaaaaa.asp
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there
vinnielo wrote:Does the RadioFeeds-provided station list work for you?
http://www.radiofeeds.co.uk/joggler/feedaaaaaaaaaaa.asp
Is that the difference between this .swf file and, say, the 'base' app - that it uses a different radio feed?

Anyway, I tried it and no difference ;-(.

I also did a bit of experimenting with moving the Jogglers around, since the 'working' one is substantially nearer my wireless router than the non-working one.

That didn't make any difference either. Interestingly (?), the working one says 'signal strength - excellent' or 'very good' where as the non-working one says 'good'. iwconfig shows that they both have good signal strength:

# iwconfig
[...]
ra0       Ralink STA  ESSID:"XXXXX"  Nickname:"RT2870STA"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency=2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:50:7F:A7:39:A0   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   
          RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Link Quality=91/100  Signal level:-54 dBm  Noise level:-71 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
(I've seen the link quality at 100/100 as well)

I am going to check the firmware on both is the same, but I'm pretty sure it is. The working one is working fine in the 'lower signal' spot...

Cheers
J^n
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

jkn wrote: Is that the difference between this .swf file and, say, the 'base' app - that it uses a different radio feed?
Yes, you should get a whole load more stations in each (now incorrectly named) category.
If not, then you're not opening the correct app from your Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for PnP III - UK and Irish radio stations for your PnP III Joggler.
RadioFeeds UK & Ireland for SqueezePlay OS - UK and Irish radio stations for your SqueezePlay OS Joggler.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi there
vinnielo wrote: Yes, you should get a whole load more stations in each (now incorrectly named) category.
If not, then you're not opening the correct app from your Joggler.
OK, thanks. I did a cursory look through the station lists and they looked similar (ie. unchanged). Certainly, the categories appeared to match ('BBC National Stations' had what I'd expect in there, for instance). I almost never go beyond the BBC so I will have to check between my two Jogglers.

Strange though- if it's running the wrong .swf, where is it getting that from? I don't yet know much about the organisation of stuff inside the joggler - can you tell me how I could match up eg. the 'internet radio' screen icon, and the app it will actually run?

Or - can I invoke the .swf file from an ssh session?

Thanks a lot
Jon N
vinnielo

Post by vinnielo »

Perhaps you were still using using the OpenPeak app?
Try restoring the Joggler app first, then run the commands to change the .SWF file.
jkn

Post by jkn »

Hi again
vinnielo wrote:Perhaps you were still using using the OpenPeak app?
Try restoring the Joggler app first, then run the commands to change the .SWF file.
it's running the radio-feeds app now - at least I assume so, there are shedloads of pages of stations, as you say in the 'wrong' categories.

Maybe I didn't reset the joggler after installing te app. Or something.

Anyway, despite that, I'm still getting the 'loss of connection' error. I perhasp should mention that the iPlayer app seems to work fine.

I think maybe I'm going to revert to stock firmware (instead of PmJ) and see if it makes any difference.

Or maybe I've got a HW problem. Seems unlikely though.

Grr...

J^n