SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
jim_lewis1

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by jim_lewis1 »

@ ronnie, thanks. I did an apt-get dist-upgrade which I thinkk solved the problem. SHould have started there I suppose.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

parrafin23 wrote:Here it is. I hope it was right
Thanks, that output all looked good, which makes me understand a little less as to why the OF1 Internal image didn't work for you - it should have done. The OF1 and OF2 images are identical these days, save for the image size which is smaller for the 1GB internal memory in the Joggler / OpenFrame 1.
parrafin23 wrote:How difficult could it be?? just go get a tiny linux installed with squeezeplay on the internal mem??? Linux is greek to me.. Thats why its difficult for me i guess
What we're doing here is hacking around with hardware that has slight variations and idiosyncrasies - not beginner level stuff, so don't feel disappointed that it's not working first time. :)

My next step would be to re-download the OF1 Internal image and use it along with the reflash tool to try and write it again to the internal memory. Make sure it's the internal image and not the external one - both will write, but only one has any chance of booting. ;)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Allright roobarb, running the flash tool again, with of1 internal.
lets see what happens now.........

Checking integrity of image ... ieee80211 phy0: brcmsmac: fauled to load firmware brmc/bcm43xx-0.fw ieee80211 phy0: brcmsmac: failed to find firmware usualy in /lib/firmware/brcm
brcmsmac: brcms_pci_probe:brcms failed

Booting flashtool ok, starting flashing sqpos206_of1.img.gz

Decompressing and writing sqpos206_of1.img.gz to internal memory...

So, the writing did complete.. unplug the usb and power off.

inserting power..

It says TELIO on the screen..... Waiting, checking clock : 10:30 ........ Waiting Still says TELIO on display ........ Waiting a bit more......... checking clock.. 10:35....... Giving up. its a no boot..

So.. Im thinkin.. the write prosses was ok, so if i boot in to linux firing up Gparted.. What am i expecting to see in /dev/mmcblk? (Heeey, im getting better at remembering those commands) I hope for some partitions on the mmc has been created and files present on these..

using win32 disk imager to write linux mint img .... 11.MB/s write speed to the usb device.. (not bad)

Booting linux mint now from usb to check..

running terminal, sudo apt-get install gparted..

downloading and installing..

now lets see what we got here..

sudo Gparted..

Allright.. i have in Gparted :

Partition: /dev/mmcblk0p1 fat16 labeled mmcboot and 30.52mb size 1+.02mb used flaged as boot,lba
Partition: /dev/mmcblk0p2, ext2, labeled mmc-root, 949mb size, 412mb used, No flags.
Partition : unallocated 928mb size

Im goin to leave it there for now. ill have another go later today. If there is anything else i can try roobarb, ill do it and post here.

I have a Landy in need of some attention, wel i have infact 2 that needs some attention. one needs a new air compressor that i have to fit today.

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

I have a Landy in need of some attention
What is a "Landy"?

Forgot to mention earlier and it really shouldn't make a difference.

There are sometimes differences between the EFI boot builds of different vendors boxes. Subtle difference to date was between the Verizon, Avaya telco company EFI boot stuff and the O2 Openpeak boot EFI stuff. Only one noticed by our resident EFI forum user here was the piece relating to a PATA boot presence in one EFI boot bios.

I wonder if your "Telio" boot EFI is a bit different. Might have some "if everything" fails do this type of EFI BIOS boot thing. BTW I see the Avaya boot logo when booting my OF2 today on the device that I never changed the boot EFI.

This is where you can change it; BUT you have to be careful if you do as you cannot swap out the EFI boot chip cuz its soldered into place. Fat fingering the 1 MB boot EFI bios will brick your machine rendering it "bootless".

So you can if you want write a different boot EFI to it. Easy to do; but you have to be careful. This might "fix" your issue.

A major "guess" too would be that in its self preservation mod; the Telio OF2 boot EFI bios is checking and maybe redoing something in the EFI boot sector of the first partition of the MMC. Note that I cannot prove this is happening so it is only a guess. For a short time I thought I saw something the the OF1 Verizon device device; but couldn't put a finger on it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
nick20000

Post by nick20000 »

Hi,roobarb!
I have install SqueezePlay OS to my joggler,but airplay no sound,
my joggler use ext sound card spdif to DAC

card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 0: STAC9202 Analog [STAC9202 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: MID [HDA Intel MID], device 1: STAC9202 Digital [STAC9202 Digital]
card 1: Audio [TeraDak 96K USB Audio], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 1: Audio [TeraDak 96K USB Audio], device 1: USB Audio [USB Audio #1]
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Landy, A Landy is the Short word, its used by the hard core fan of Landrover owners. Mostly used in the Uk, but the word has spred across the world. One life Live it, Go Beyond!

Anyway.. This boot EFI, in my world.. this is Electronic Fuel Ignition, and its located in the engine bay somewhere, inside a box, but this has little to do with this stuff.

If there is a will, there is a way. so.. I understood the "Write a different boot EFI to it." You have to be careful " I tried that once.. bad command or filename was the reply. :lol: . You said "this might fix your issue." I say.. Lets do it.. One life Live it! :D

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Thank you Mr. P. I am into cars too. eenuff said....we drifted off the OP.

The rom boot bios uses EFI. Computerese language. EFI is Extensible Firmware Interface

Note there is no guarantee that this will work; its a best guess right now.

Have a read here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible ... _Interface

and here relating to the O2 Joggler EFI.

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/EFI

It is simple to write a new EFI boot "bios". There are minor differences between the Openpeak devices BIOS. That said the OF1 and OF2 are very similiar but different devices. The O2 is also similiar but different.

1 - boot up into one BuzzBootUbuntu stick via a USB hub
2 - find out the IP whether it is static or dynamic
3 - SSH to the OF2 from another computer; use Putty on Wintel. Username=joggler and password=joggler
4 - Copy the EFI boot image file (I will attach it to this post) to a Fat formatted USB stick on your wintel PC
5 - Plug in the USB stick into the USB hub
6 - the files on the stick should be under the media directory
7 - IE:
A - cd \
B - cd \media
C - ls
8 - you should see the file on the USB stick
9 - STOP for now. Did the above work? (well it will not until you have the file).
10 - put any files on your 2nd USB fat formatted stick. You should see them. We will stop here for now (until you have done above steps).
IE: you cannot break anything with steps 1-10.

That and I want to see if you can save that specific Telio EFI boot rom. Its a tiny file that you can post right here.
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
ttherapo

Post by ttherapo »

I am having issues with Flickr, my pictures are not showing! Is this squeezebox issue or flickr?? Registration seems ok, but it says it is forbiten
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Allright Pete, 10 simple steps should be ok to do. I found the ip, and i used Putty and connected allright. so i can now SSH in to it.
Got a spare usb stick here, ready for the files from you..

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Great news parrafin23!

11 - remove your second USB stick which is FAT formated
12 - in windows copy a notepad text file to the USB stick
13 - call the notepad text file readme.txt
14 - via SSH do an ls (doo the dir) of the USB stick contents - putty lets you do a copy and paste of text from the SSH window to whatever. Another neato wintel to linux tool is called WinSCP. Give it a try; the newest version is very nice.
root@joggler:/media/joggler/ROM# ls
readme.txt
Almost there.....

15 - SSH back to your OF2 with the USB stick in place
16 - type:
root@joggler:/media/joggler/ROM# modprobe fh
root@joggler:/media/joggler/ROM#
Read here for a reference to FH
http://www.jogglerwiki.com/wiki/Howto_c ... _boot_logo
17 - no errors means that you are OK and you cannot break anything in steps 11 to 17.
18 - let me know when you get this point. (you are at a milestone here) - read some while you wait about another little tool for windows...
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Allright Pete.. I did understand what you wrote. I just need the attachment from you before i can continue this journey.

Or am I missing something here?

I did download and install the WinSCP. it looks nice.

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Good news parrafin23!

Yeah here just concerned such that you do not brick your OF2.

My best guesstimate that this well fix your issue is between 20-30% which is better than nothing I guess.

It is not easily fixed unless you unsolder the put a socket in to replace the ROM bios.

First thing we are going to do is back up what you have. Then we are going to replace it.

You need that just in case something does happen.

19 - Assumes you have done all above; steps 11-18 and are comfortable with what you have done; baby steps.

20 - Do the following to back up your current rom:

Backup original ROM:

Code: Select all

modprobe fh
dd if=/dev/fh of=/media/USBSTICK/Telio.rom bs=1024
Restore new ROM:

modprobe fh
dd if=/mnt/USBSTICK/Avaya.rom of=/dev/fh bs=1024
reboot
Reboot will show a different logo. Ayava instead of Telio

Please post a zipped copy of your Telio.rom
Attachments
AvayaEFI.zip
(562.66 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

A bit messy these steps, atleast this is in my head. you mention somethin about soldering a socket for the rom bios. I think i can handle that. got loads of soldering stuff @ work. and some at home.

I can get sockets @ any size. Perhaps i can get chips too, I havent checked what my supplier have in stock. but they have shitloads of stuff.

Wel.. i have to go to work. Many folks want the new fibre optic internett connecton up and running. 35Mbit up and 35Mbit down is the lowest speed they offer for a nice prize this isp..

Have a search for it : Altibox

I think i posted my speed result here somewhere..

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Mr. P

Go slow and you will be fine.

Ideally if you could socket the flash chip then you can just swap chips when you want a different BIOS. IE: for windows the Core/Seaboot BIOS works with Windows 8.1. I purchased extra chips for that purpose.

Personally I would consider looking at at PATA ZIF port connector if you want to solder stuff and replacing the combo bluetooth/WLAN card with a Crystal HD mini PCIE card for HD stuff.

I have fiber here in one home and like it way better than cable in another home.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

I copied the .rom file to a fat formated stick, slamed it in the usb hub.
Fired up Putty and SSH in from a pc.
All good so far

And did this :

joggler@joggler:~$ cd \
> cd \media
-bash: cd: cd: No such file or directory
joggler@joggler:~$ ls
Desktop Documents Downloads Music Pictures Public Templates Videos
joggler@joggler:~$

What am I not doin correct here?? Too many beers for today??

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

SSH again to the device. (apologies forget the sudo piece)

Do

sudo su
then

cd /
then

ls
copy and paste what you see. It should look like this:

login as: joggler
joggler@192.168.244.229's password:

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

Welcome to Ubuntu 12.10 (GNU/Linux 3.2.53joggler1 i686)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

joggler@joggler:~$ sudo su
root@joggler:/home/joggler# cd /
root@joggler:/# ls
bin   cdrom  etc   lib         media  opt   root  sbin     srv  tmp  var
boot  dev    home  lost+found  mnt    proc  run   selinux  sys  usr
root@joggler:/#
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

root@joggler:/# ls
bin cdrom etc lib media opt root sbin sys usr
boot dev home lost+found mnt proc run srv tmp var
root@joggler:/#

is what i see, the same as you

root@joggler:/media/joggler# is where i am rigjht now. did ls, nothing there..
pete

Post by pete »

OK looks good.

I named my stick joggler.

Plug in your stick and write a file with notepad called readme.txt on your USB stick.

Plug in your USB stick to the Joggler and go to media and then to the name of the usbstick.

Do an "ls" and you should see the readme.txt file.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Allright, I had to mount the usb device. I called the stick YES

I did cd yes, but could not find it.. did the ls and i fund YES there.. tried cd YES and it worked, root@joggler:/media/joggler/YES# is where i am now. i see the Readme.txt and the .rom file you sent me

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Good news Mr. P.

Now back up your ROM as mentioned above while in the directory /media/joggler/YES.

modprobe fh
dd if=/dev/fh of=/media/joggler/YES/Telio.rom bs=1024
ls
Copy and paste the ls part here.
- Pete

Auto mater