SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
pete

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by pete »

And what should I do next?
Restart/reboot or just unplug the OF2 device.

You should see a little shark drawing on the bottom right hand side of the screen when its booting.

Don't be concerned; the shark doesn't bite.

If you do not see the shark logo and still see the Telio logo; then something is amiss.

Maybe; just maybe your ROM on your OF2 chip is write protected by Telio. Or its a figment of my newton thing.

I doubt that would be that case as there are other users on the Forum that have that same Telio model OF2 and they are doing all sorts of stuff with it.
- Pete
O2 Jogglers running EFI Ubuntu / Squeezeplayer
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

It still says Telio on it and no sharks to be seen on the screen. so I thinking the same as you that it has to be write protected somehow. After reboot it still boots from usb with no issues.

So What can I do next?

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

I have yet to see an issue doing the same with my OF2's. If you want to (it will be expensive) to send me just the motherboard I can play with it here.

I did have one issue writing to one OF1.

I removed the socketed 1Mb chip and wrote to it via another OF1, removed it and put it back into the other OF1.

I wrote about it here and cannot find what I wrote.

Going back to the writing of the 2Gb partition; you can try a manual write of the EFI boot partition and a separate write of the 2nd partition then reboot with the USB stick and look at the boot EFI partition to see if it changes?

I have tested the OF2 mini pcie to work well. You may be able to "test" boot a SATA / mini SD to mini pcie device too. There isn't a bunch of space there. Easiest to solder a zif pata port clip to the traces. I have one "experiment" OF2 board sitting on my workbench for the purchase of soldering more stuff to it. I just haven't gotten around to it. I will post a picture and suggestions. I don't know if it will work until I do it. I have only tested the board to still work if I clip it on clamps and manually wire it up to work. I was going in the direction of wiring up a mini SD slot and Pata port on it.

To date I have not been able to do an EFI boot of the PATA ZIF device. By default always looks first at the MMC, then the USB stick.

Playing with it I got it to boot by starting first in the 1Gb EFI boot piece over to the PATA port; sort of a work around that does work. The coreboot rom though does boot fine from the pata port.
OF2-Chip3.jpg
- Pete
OpenPeak Voip Telephony / Zigbee tabletops hardware modded with Seabios / RTC / Ethernet ROM edits / SSD drives running XPe for automation screens

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

This is the same pinouts as yours. I just pulled it apart again..Mutch more easy to do now.

Regarding the Pata 40Pin.. I think im goin to buy all i need from http://www.aliexpress.com/

I bet they have all i need right there.. But if i cant get my unit to run other that usb, then I do not see the point.

I do not know where your location is, I tried to search for it looking at your info page. Time Traveler not found.. lol. Do you have skype by any chanse? if you do, look up my username and youll find me there.

I can try doin the manual way as you mentioned, but i need someone to "hold my hand" threw this..

Mr.P
Attachments
20140711_165211.jpg
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah; not sure if it will boot off the PATA port. To be able to utilize the PATA port and/or the mini SD port might be better.

USB boot is faster on the OF2 than the Joggler. When I updated ROM I also had the mini pcie card out.

Using boot linux try to check the MMC partition with GParted. Curious about the EFI boot partition on the MMC.

If you could just write the partitions manually and look after writing them with GParted we might have an idea relating to what is going on.

I am near Chicago here. A bit distant from you there.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

and how do I do this again Pete?

Sorry.. Just been out in the pool with my 2yr ols son..

/dev/mmcblk0p1, fat16 labeled mmc-boot used 10.02Mb flagged as boot,lba
/Dev/mmcblk0p2 ext2 labeled mmc-root 412.81mb used no flags.

Mr.P
Last edited by parrafin23 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete

Post by pete »

1 - USB boot Buzz's latest Ubuntu.
2 - using GParted check each of the MMC partitions
3 - do a screen print of the MMC partition as you see it with GParted (post it here)
4 - copy all of the files in the EFI boot partition to another USB fat formatted stick
5 - zip up all of the EFI boot partition files and post here
- Pete

Auto mater
pete

Post by pete »

Checking the MMC EFI partition and 2nd partition look fine from your previous write to it.

Will manually rewrite the two partitions from here and check them afterwards.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Great pete. It looks like im doing someting wrong or there is a issue with this OF of mine. Its tempting to send the mainboard to you, and let you figure it out, but whats the fun in that?

So if we can rewrite the 2 partitions, and somehow tell the bloddy thing that it has to boot Squeezeplay Os or else ill let my kid kick it around in the swimmimng pool and die slowly??

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Everything looks good.

Expanded the MMC partition to utilize the rest of the MMC (2Gb).
root@joggler:/home/joggler# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 2000 MB, 2000683008 bytes
4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 61056 cylinders, total 3907584 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000cf419

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 * 1 62500 31250 e W95 FAT16 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2 63488 3745791 1841152 83 Linux
Boot EFI MMC partition looks good to me and did get written to as the 2nd partition on the MMC.

Changed the partition properties on the EFI boot to EFI rather than Win95 (not sure if this will do anything).

I am totally impressed with our connection speeds. (Chicago to Oslo).

Remove everthing from the USB port and see if it boots up from the MMC. I have left the boot ROM alone for now.
MMC-1.jpg
MMC-2.jpg
MMC-3.jpg
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Looking good Pete.. looking real sweet. You have managed to remove the Telio from the screen when booting and now its showing OpenPeak. Oboy Oboy, seeing the screen changed from OpenPeak to Squeezebox os starting up makes me beleave in the power of forums and kindnes among humans is not lost forever. lol..

Fantastic.. I did give it a little try this morning, but could not connect with wifi or cable in the sqb interface. Might it be so that i need to go to the desktop somehow and connect it from there to make this work?

Was the speed that good Pete? My unit was/is connected with wifi.

Mr.P
pete

Post by pete »

Should be plug n play now. Personally I would assign a static IP (wirelessly or wired).

Here I have also redone the MAC addresses of mine such that the mothership can manage them a bit better.

Speeds connecting from here were great; actually best I have seen to date from across the big pond.
- Pete

Auto mater
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Great Pete..

Wel.. i managed to get wired working but not wifi. Goin to Nettwork -> Wireless but where do i tell it to connect to my Asus router? after a reboot it says No network address has been assigned to the Wireless interface (wlan0)
How do i go about that?

Mr.P
castalla

Post by castalla »

In the settings, you have to complete the router SSID (name) and enter the WPA password (not WEP). Then save and reboot.
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

Thank you castalla for the info, but i dont have wifi encryption on. Why would i? only the cows and cheeps around me, and last time i checked they werent that intrested in internett.. lol

Mr.P
castalla

Post by castalla »

Hmmm - not sure how it handles no encryption. If you can access via ssh then you could try editing the /etc/network/interfaces file
parrafin23

Post by parrafin23 »

I did set up an guest wifi network and it works perfectly!! cheers for the info this got me goin

Mr.P
Jarv_77

Post by Jarv_77 »

Slightly late to the party here but hopefully someone can answer a simple few questions!

I'm currently running (after a lot of trial and error way back on this forum) Roobarb's squeezeplayer on a version of Buzz's JoliOS on a partition of an external usb drive.
Logitech media server is also running on the JoliOS and my music files are stored on another partition on the USB drive.
The joggler boots straight into Joli which then boots straight into Squeezeplay. Just about all works - excep that JoliOS is no longer supported and is also not what it once was in terms of usability. I'm worried the whole thing will become unstable, especially having just read up on Roobarb's Squeezeplay OS

So,
Can I.....

-Delete Joli from the linux boot partition on the usb drive..
-Download Squeezeplay OS V2 from Roobarb's page (http://birdslikewires.co.uk/articles/squeezeplay-os) and write it to the Linux boot partition on the usb drive,
- Reboot, presumably opening straight into the new Squeezeplay OS,
- Go to Settings > Advanced > Additional Features > Logitech Media Server and install LMS,
- Tell LMS where to look for the music files...???

Is that all plausible?

JimbobVFR400

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

Has anyone managed to get the network mount option working in SqueezePlay?
I can easily get the NAS mounted using an entry in fstab but no matter what I do I just can't get it working using the GUI.

I'm using SMB and have a user name and password setup on the NAS I've also tried on my own Joggler with an old Buffalo Linkstation and also on a mates Joggler with his WD NAS.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:Has anyone managed to get the network mount option working in SqueezePlay?
I can easily get the NAS mounted using an entry in fstab but no matter what I do I just can't get it working using the GUI.

I'm using SMB and have a user name and password setup on the NAS I've also tried on my own Joggler with an old Buffalo Linkstation and also on a mates Joggler with his WD NAS.
When you edit the fstab by hand, do you see any entries there added by your attempts with the GUI? All the scripts in the GUI really do are add in a line to fstab and then search-and-replace some stock values with the data you enter in SqueezePlay.

If there's no sign of any changes, just check that you're applying the changes - if you are, then I'd better look at the scripts again!
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)