SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

General discussion relating to the O2 Joggler, from the default O2 setup, to alternative operating systems and applications.
roobarb!

SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for OpenFrame

Post by roobarb! »

Well, it's been a year...

Announcing SqueezePlay OS v2!
---------------------------------------------
LATEST VERSION - Version 2.06 - 12th February 2014
---------------------------------------------

As I'm sure you all know, SqueezePlay OS is a small Ubuntu installation designed to run SqueezePlay. You can download it, flash it to a USB stick, plug it into your Joggler and be up and running in no time. There are two versions; one for running from external USB devices and the other that can be written to the Joggler’s internal storage using the Reflashing Tool.

This is the new Version 2 release. The features of SqueezePlay itself are largely unchanged from Version 1, but the operating system underneath is quite different. Version 2 is based on Ubuntu Precise (12.04) and runs a recent longterm kernel (3.10). This means that the system should support an even wider range of external audio devices than before, plus folks that like to install extra stuff now have access to up-to-date software. Ubuntu Precise is also officially supported through to 2017!

Please check the changes below for details on how things have been modified.

Highlights:
  • Based on Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (Precise) with Kernel 3.10.
  • Supports both OpenFrame 1 (Joggler) and OpenFrame 2 devices!
  • Can be installed to internal storage using the Reflashing Tool.
  • Preinstalled OpenSSH Server.
  • Support for AirPlay.
  • Automated installation of Logitech Media Server.
  • Easy network configuration from a SqueezePlay applet.
  • Supports Netgear WNDA3200 for dual band 2.4/5GHz 802.11n internal wireless.
  • Auto-mounting of USB storage devices.
  • Proper system startup and shutdown controls.
  • Full apt-get package management system underneath!
  • All of the features of SqueezePlay for Joggler, including the Update applet.
  • Settings applet for backlight level and display standby.
  • Settings applet for internal or external (USB) audio interface.
  • Fully compatible with remote control apps, eg. Squeezebox Remote.
Installation:

Full details are on my SqueezePlay OS for Joggler page.

Major changes in this version:
  • OpenSSH Server is installed and active by default.
SSH can be switched off by navigating Settings > Advanced > Additional Features > Secure Shell. The default username and password are:

Username: joggler
Password: joggler

To change the password, use the command:

Code: Select all

passwd joggler
  • Kernel driver (gma500_gfx) is now used for video.
A decision had to be made whether to use an older kernel with the Intel EMGD driver (which provides hardware accelerated video) or to use the latest kernel and its GMA500 driver. Being primarily an audio system, it was decided that better USB audio device support was more valuable. The Joggler is still perfectly capable of playing back 720p video, but higher resolutions will struggle. If video acceleration is a more important consideration for your project, I would recommend using one of BuZz's releases, which include Intel EMGD drivers and kernel 3.2.

• Reduced storage requirements.
This version uses about 400MB of storage space, leaving about 500MB for your own software (the system partition is 1GB). You can expand this (if you're using external storage) with GPartEd to configure a drive exactly to your needs.

Have fun! :)
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
JimbobVFR400

Re: SqueezePlay OS (Version 2) for Joggler

Post by JimbobVFR400 »

What version of LMS gets installed automatically? And where from.
castalla

Post by castalla »

I assume this is a new install, and no option to update?
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Hi roobarb!

Thanks for great work.
Could you build a player for the OpenFrame2.
The player works but i got a noise on speaker.
Maybe it works with other kernel. The sound works with orginal O2 Software and Ubuntu.

Regards shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

JimbobVFR400 wrote:What version of LMS gets installed automatically? And where from.
Currently it is v7.7.2, but this will be changed in SqueezePlay for Joggler v1.55 (which will be an online update) to v7.7.3. I didn't want to change too much with SqueezePlay itself until I was happy that the OS was playing nicely for people. Much easier to troubleshoot that way. The installation package comes directly from Logitech's own server, though it's possible to install it using apt-get if you want to do it from the command line.

I don't have plans to switch the media server to v7.8 or later; it's easy enough for people to do themselves if they really want to, but I've had nothing but trouble with the v7.8 server.
BirdsLikeWires - Get fresh builds of Debian Bullseye and Bookworm for OpenFrame with the latest 5.10 and 6.1 kernels! 8-)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

castalla wrote:I assume this is a new install, and no option to update?
No, making a live updater for the OS just isn't an option for me - the cost/benefit is way off. ;)

You can update SqueezePlay, but there's very little change for anyone running v1.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

shadow1901 wrote:Thanks for great work.
Could you build a player for the OpenFrame2.
The player works but i got a noise on speaker.
Maybe it works with other kernel. The sound works with orginal O2 Software and Ubuntu.
Funnily enough, I've just plugged in my OF2 to see what it would do. Amazingly, I'm getting sound from the front speakers and audio switching on the audio jack seems to be working! This must all be good new stuff in the kernel, as when I previously tried this it was a nightmare.

In theory, you should be able to write SQPOS v2 to a USB stick and boot your OF2 from it with no trouble. The only thing that I know for a fact isn't working yet is wireless, because of the BCM43225 drivers. I'm going to check the status of the drivers and I can whizz up a new kernel if needs be.

Listening to BBC 6Music on the OF2 while I check... :)
SqueezePlay OS v2 on OpenFrame 2
SqueezePlay OS v2 on OpenFrame 2
trs79

Post by trs79 »

Awesome, thanks for the new os. I also am using an OpenFrame 2.0 device, if you can get wireless working that would be great
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

trs79 wrote:Awesome, thanks for the new os. I also am using an OpenFrame 2.0 device, if you can get wireless working that would be great
Managed to get a driver to load, but it's not been straightforward. Typical! Easier problem than trying to fix the audio, though. I shall take another look tomorrow if I get the time. :)
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

Strange..
With my device I can hear nothing. Only noise is comming out the speakers. It's sounds like "brumm brumm".
What's probably different with your device?
Have you updatet your device? '
I booted it with a USB stick and there is no sound and wireless also does not work.

Regards shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

shadow1901 wrote:Strange..
With my device I can hear nothing. Only noise is comming out the speakers. It's sounds like "brumm brumm".
You need to remove the firmware patch for the OF1/Joggler - delete the joggler-stac9202.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d.
ilovemyjoggler

Post by ilovemyjoggler »

Ha! Sometimes it pays to be lazy.

I've been without sqp for almost 3 months. Image broke. Couldn't decide whether to do simple rewrite using old backup or move to the latest image so in the end, as I've been so busy, I did nothing.

Would you believe I finally had some free time this morning so decided to get that joggler working again - didn't have time to download the (previous) latest version - so used my backup image. And now I'm sooo glad. This is great news and I'm looking forward to giving this a go as soon as I've got a bit of spare time. Thanks so very much Roobarb!
jimeney

Post by jimeney »

This is huge. I currently have 5 jogglers in a multi zone configuration using a HP N54L Microserver to run LMS.

I'll test and feedback.

I'm intending to install Plex on a couple however, so is there any route back to an older kernel and EGMD driver should I find issues with 1080p playback?
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

roobarb! wrote: You need to remove the firmware patch for the OF1/Joggler - delete the joggler-stac9202.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d.
I've found this directory only in your image. But if I delete this file, it's sound not better.
What do you mean OF1/Joggler about?

This file doesn't exists also in the FW what is flashed (30291) at the moment
Wayne C

Post by Wayne C »

Great work can I ask is there any way you could incorporate the USB enhanced Digital Output feature please?, how do you login to the joggler via SSH from a Mac please?
shadow1901

Post by shadow1901 »

I had some problems with delete from file.
I used "sudo rm..." and the file was deletet. After I repluged the usb stick, the file was not deletet if I checked.
After I create a new directory and moved the file.
So I restart the OF2 Joggler with usb stick and the noise sound isn't here, but no sound works also in Squeezeplayer.
What is my problem?

Regards and thanks for help

shadow1901
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

shadow1901 wrote:
roobarb! wrote: You need to remove the firmware patch for the OF1/Joggler - delete the joggler-stac9202.conf file in /etc/modprobe.d.
I've found this directory only in your image. But if I delete this file, it's sound not better.
What do you mean OF1/Joggler about?

This file doesn't exists also in the FW what is flashed (30291) at the moment
No, it's only present is SQPOS v2 - if you're using that, delete the file, reboot and you should have working audio on your OF2. I can't help with the official (or semi-official!) firmware, as it was likely written with particular devices in mind - not everything is the same between the OF1/Joggler and the OF2, particularly in the audio department, so its unlikely that 30291 or 30300 will work.
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

ilovemyjoggler wrote:Ha! Sometimes it pays to be lazy.
That's what I tell myself sometimes! ;)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

jimeney wrote:I'm intending to install Plex on a couple however, so is there any route back to an older kernel and EGMD driver should I find issues with 1080p playback?
Yes... you would need to install one of the 3.2 kernels, recompile the RT2870STA driver, pin the appropriate packages for apt to use Xserver 1.9 and then compile Intel EMGD from BuZz's Launchpad PPA.

You'd be much better off starting with his base image, I reckon. That's ready to rock with EMGD. :)
roobarb!

Post by roobarb! »

Wayne C wrote:Great work can I ask is there any way you could incorporate the USB enhanced Digital Output feature please?, how do you login to the joggler via SSH from a Mac please?
If I knew what it was, possibly. :) Post a link and I'll take a look?

To SSH in from a Mac, use Terminal.app, type:

Code: Select all

ssh joggler@<ip_of_your_joggler>
Use 'joggler' as the password.